Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 06:04 AM   #1
dearleuk
dearleuk began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Help with Search Please

Long time since I posted here

Has anyone got some Regex/search that will find punctuation that hasn't got a space after

EG

‘Oh, I don’t know,’Jessie groaned

Missing space after ’ or before Jessie

What I want to find is ,’

Not followed by a space

Quite a few of them and not just speechmarks but question marls, exclamation marks. Really hard to spot

I'm using Sigil

Thank you
dearleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
thanks

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
\p{P}[^ ]

Or

\p{P}(?!\p{Zs})

The latter should work for any kind of space character.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:59 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You can use a negative look ahead

Here is a PCRE regex cheatsheat that may help.

So a find of a punctuation symbol [:punct:] followed by the negative lookahead (?! ) should find punctuation not followed by a space. Unfortunately, it would also find any punctuation with no following space at the beginning of the word…. So you might want to add a negative look behind to make sure there is no preceding space as well (?<! )

Find: (?<! )([:punct:]+?)(?! )
Replace: ‘\1 ‘ (a space after the 1 with no quotes)

Warning: I reserve the right to be wrong. I haven’t tested this and am writing from my phone in a post-surgery drug-induced euphoria…:eek: TEST THOUROUGHLY and save often. Sigil has some awesome new features that can help with making save points and seeing what changes will be made before you commit.

Also, I’m quite sure there are other ways of doing this; maybe even more elegant.

Last edited by theducks; Today at 02:00 PM. Reason: turned off smilies
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dang it! Ninja’d TWICE!
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

And that should read (:punct:)

Last edited by Turtle91; Today at 07:14 AM.
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Another warning…. Did I mention I’m loopy??…. This will also match words with contractions (eg I’m they’re we’ve) so you may want to dumb it down and just look for the specific occurrences one type at a time.

Code:
Find: ,’(?! )
Replace: ,’    (With a following space)
Old Today, 07:48 AM   #8
dearleuk
dearleuk began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Another warning…. Did I mention I’m loopy??…. This will also match words with contractions (eg I’m they’re we’ve) so you may want to dumb it down and just look for the specific occurrences one type at a time.

Code:
Find: ,’(?! )
Replace: ,’    (With a following space)
That did the trick, thank you both

Get well soon Turtle91

Last edited by dearleuk; Today at 09:01 AM.
dearleuk is offline   Reply With Quote