Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #46
retiredbiker
Evangelist
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If you can recreate a sample epub (single page) that shows the issue that would help.

- flashing

- Your previously compiled PageEdit with system Qt should continue to work,
So I tried to make a small epub that would do the preview text-->left thing with a big image; I could not repeat it with a new book. Preview worked perfectly with even huge un-coded images: text properly displayed and put the image off to the right and scrollable.. (I was originally testing on an old, old book that I knew was a mess, so something else likely was wrong. Hardly worth chasing.)

Turned off hardware acceleration and the flashing is gone. Not much acceleration needed in an editor anyway!

PageEdit will not start from within Sigil 2.3...it just ignores clicking on the X. I checked the path and it is OK, and of course I can run PageEdit from the CL.

Cheers!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
Yep, I turned that off and all the flicker stuff goes away.

The funny start-up screen is still there.
Any debug output when starting Sigil from a terminal? You may see some WebEngine DIR_APP_DICTIONARIES noise, but it can be safely ignored.

I'm assuming you're using the kernel's built-in AMD Radeon drivers? It is my understanding that most people don't resort to proprietary drivers for Radeon like they do for Nvidia.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
PageEdit will not start from within Sigil 2.3...it just ignores clicking on the X. I checked the path and it is OK, and of course I can run PageEdit from the CL.
This doesn't surprise me now that I think about it. If both were using the system Qt, this would just work. But the Sigil launch script diddles $LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to force the usage of the Qt that sigil was built with. In this case that's 6.7.2. But PageEdit was built against 6.2.4 and is being forced to abide by the current $LD_LIBRARY_PATH that Sigil set.

Let me look at how Sigil launches PageEdit.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #49
retiredbiker
Evangelist
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Any debug output when starting Sigil from a terminal? You may see some WebEngine DIR_APP_DICTIONARIES noise, but it can be safely ignored.

I'm assuming you're using the kernel's built-in AMD Radeon drivers? It is my understanding that most people don't resort to proprietary drivers for Radeon like they do for Nvidia.
No, all the terminal gives is
Code:
Debug: initial styleHints colorScheme:  Qt::ColorScheme::Light
Warning: Path override failed for key base::DIR_APP_DICTIONARIES and path '/usr/local/lib/sigil/qtwebengine_dictionaries'
Path override failed for key base::DIR_APP_DICTIONARIES and path '/opt/qt6/6.7.2/gcc_64/libexec/qtwebengine_dictionaries'
Path override failed for key base::DIR_APP_DICTIONARIES and path '/opt/qt6/6.7.2/gcc_64/libexec/qtwebengine_dictionaries'

No, I never touch the video drivers. This box is from System76 and less than a year old, so I can't see the video becoming obsolete...but who knows in this world!

I do have a non-standard monitor: it is a 42-inch TCL 4K television, run through the hdmi port. It has never given any problems, though.
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This doesn't surprise me now that I think about it. If both were using the system Qt, this would just work. But the Sigil launch script diddles $LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to force the usage of the Qt that sigil was built with. In this case that's 6.7.2. But PageEdit was built against 6.2.4 and is being forced to abide by the current $LD_LIBRARY_PATH that Sigil set.

Let me look at how Sigil launches PageEdit.
Yeah... I need to probably change how Sigil launches the external xhtml editor on Linux. With PageEdit, it will be simple enough to pop the LD_LIBRARY_PATH that Sigil adds to the environment before launching, but I'm not sure that will be a great idea for all externally-launched xhtml editors. Have to do some thinking.

In the meantime, a simple workaround (without needing to rebuild PageEdit with 6.7.2) is to create a bash script named pageedit.sh (the pageedit basename is important) with the following contents:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH so PageEdit can use its own Qt
unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH

exec pageedit "$@"
Save it somewhere and mark it as executable. Then use Sigil's preferences to choose it as the external xhtml editor (rather than PageEdit's binary).

If you do end up rebuilding pageedit with the alternate Qt6.7.2 version. You'll need to go back to calling the pageedit binary directly, because this workaround script won't work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 10:00 AM.
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #51
retiredbiker
Evangelist

Quote:
In the meantime, a simple workaround (without needing to rebuild PageEdit with 6.7.2) is to create a bash script named pageedit.sh (the pageedit basename is important) with the

If you do end up rebuilding pageedit with the alternate Qt6.7.2 version. You'll need to go back to calling the pageedit binary directly, because this workaround script won't work.
Thank you, this works perfectly. How to remember it at some later date is more problematic...!
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How to remember it at some later date is more problematic...!
Notes. Copious notes that fade, get lost, and become pointless.
Old Today, 04:55 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've ended up with notes that are much larger than the code and source code files that 75% comments so I can have a chance to figure out just what was I doing when I wrote this a few years back.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #54
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My coding days were long before things like GITHUB.
I also started many coding tasks by writing basic comments (pseudo code), then making code to get the job done.

I remember looking at some of my early code and remarking 'I wrote that mess!' We made progress toward more 'Elegant' code.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote