Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #1
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nexus 7
Which 7-8" ereader?

Please recommend an ereader with an approximately 7-8" screen. I read with a larger font size as my eyes age, so a smaller screen has too little on a page and larger is likely too heavy. I'm not a fan of physical buttons.

Essentially everything I read is from Calibre.

I'm currently using an old Nexus 7 android tablet, but the battery is deteriorating. It does have a very sharp screen (about 325 ppi), adjusts brightness based on ambient light and pages turn quickly. I don't notice much eye strain, but wonder if an eink reader would be better.

I sometimes consider an ipad mini as an updated N7.

What would you recommend?

Last edited by foosion; Yesterday at 12:29 PM.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A Kobo Libra 2 has 7" eInk screen. That's what I would recommend for reading. I have one and it's very good for reading. No distractions like a tablet or phone.

If you live in the US, you can get a Libra 2 from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/829102257

Last edited by JSWolf; Yesterday at 05:16 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #3
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A Kobo Libra 2 has 7" eInk screen. That's what I would recommend for reading. I have one and it's very good for reading. No distractions like a tablet or phone.
The only issue with that is it has physical buttons, which I'd rather avoid.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You generally won't find e-readers without buttons unless you look at 6" or 10.3". The 7" and 8" models all have them, so you'll just have to... not press them?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
It's kind of amazing that the Nexus 7 (2013) has had incredible staying power and fandom.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #6
foosion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You generally won't find e-readers without buttons unless you look at 6" or 10.3". The 7" and 8" models all have them, so you'll just have to... not press them?
There is not pressing them, although they make for larger bezels.

I guess there's the Kindle PW at 6.8", but it may not be the ideal device with a Calibre epub collection.

Last edited by foosion; Yesterday at 07:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #7
foosion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
It's kind of amazing that the Nexus 7 (2013) has had incredible staying power and fandom.
It is amazing.

It's generally slow, but fast enough for reading. The screen is rather nice, with a high PPI and contrast and easy enough to hold so as to avoid glare.

I go back and forth on getting an ipad mini and turning off all notifications when reading. It's about the same weight and PPI as the N7 and likely a better screen.

Tablet battery is nowhere near eink ereaders, but charging is easy enough.
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #8
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
I would also go for a Kobo. When I bought my Forma, I was really doubtful about the large edge.

I finally came to love it. It rests perfectly into the palm of your hand and the grippy back makes it effortless to hold in one handed mode while reading. In addition, your thumb is not anymore in front of the screen.

I also have a Boox Page (7"), which is nice. But for large fonts, I'd definitely go for a larger screen (7,8 to 8").
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:47 AM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
How many words can you fit on the screen of the Page vs the Forma at the same-ish font size? I wouldn't think the difference would be that big if you're using a large font size.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:10 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
The only issue with that is it has physical buttons, which I'd rather avoid.
The buttons are very easy to avoid. I don't use the buttons and they do not get in the way.
Old Today, 05:12 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There is not pressing them, although they make for larger bezels.

I guess there's the Kindle PW at 6.8", but it may not be the ideal device with a Calibre epub collection.
The PW5 firmware is meh! It also does not handle ePub and does not have the eBook organization that the Libra 2 has. The PW5 is no replacement for the Libra 2.
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #12
foosion
Connoisseur

Glad to hear the buttons are easy to avoid. Since Walmart allows returns, seems worth trying.

BTW, it appears Kobo has discontinued the Libra 2. It's out of stock on their web site and two months ago they were saying https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen..._discontinued/
Old Today, 08:49 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Glad to hear the buttons are easy to avoid. Since Walmart allows returns, seems worth trying.

BTW, it appears Kobo has discontinued the Libra 2. It's out of stock on their web site and two months ago they were saying https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen..._discontinued/
Discontinued does not means it's not a very good Reader. It's been discontinued in favor of (IMHO) the very poor Libra Colour. A stupid move by Kobo.
Old Today, 09:30 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
While I'm not a fan of color ereaders at the current tech level, the Libra Colour is hardly "very poor". It seems to be a pretty good device, in fact. I wouldn't buy it (as I don't need color and Kaleido screens have some drawbacks), but the OP might like it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #15
foosion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Discontinued does not means it's not a very good Reader. It's been discontinued in favor of (IMHO) the very poor Libra Colour. A stupid move by Kobo.
I have no interest in color for an ereader. It seems like a stupid move to me and just about every comment I've seen on the subject. Color may be useful for graphic novels and the like, but it's less than useless for normal books.