Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 05:54 AM   #1
DaveZN
DaveZN began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Smile Remove Calibre TRASH

In your Calibre library folder look for a folder named .caltrash
In the folder you will find two folders, mine are b & f.
These folders contain trash from changes made in Calibre.
Delete these two folders on a regular basis.
This save space in your Library.
Thanks
David
DaveZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:03 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Right-click the Delete Icon: Restore recently deleted: <there are options here>

?? You are worried about a few hundred K bytes, short term, in this day and age?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 02:42 PM   #3
dljeffery
dljeffery began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2; Kindle Oasis 1 ("8th Gen") and Oasis 3 ("10th Gen")
I just found this post by coming here and looking for ".caltrash", after noticing that my 57.8GB Calibre Library folder is mostly taken up by a 46GB .caltrash folder. (46GB for b, 18.2MB for f.)
dljeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:09 PM   #4
dljeffery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljeffery View Post
I just found this post by coming here and looking for ".caltrash", after noticing that my 57.8GB Calibre Library folder is mostly taken up by a 46GB .caltrash folder. (46GB for b, 18.2MB for f.)
Aha.

After researching more into .caltrash, I now realize that the reason I had such a huge one is because I was doing a manual data migration recently due to bad beta OS bugs and couldn't do a proper Calibre export/import. Trying to simply "Add from folders and subfolders" from my (manually backed-up) 2,900 book Calibre Library folder into a fresh library resulted in Calibre creating duplicates for each format I had on disk, even with clicking "Yes" on "Assume all e-book files in a single folder are multiple formats of the same book?" prompt. I didn't realize that Calibre holds onto deleted books when I took several attempts at this and was bulk deleting bad imports in between!

(Note: I've only seen Calibre duplicate my books when trying to run this operation on my entire old Calibre Library folder. When I finally decided to do it in a series of smaller chunks, no issues with duplication.)
Old 06-25-2024, 03:15 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For one acquaintance, the .caltrash was a life, well, library saver. He wanted to clean out a mass of mobi and original_* files and accidentally clicked on epub as well. Ended up with 11 PDF files in his library. The caltrash feature let him select and restore all his epubs with covers and metadata without the joy of trying to restore from the Trash or Recycle Bin.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:15 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So?
Had you overridden the default auto clear(clean) setting?
Or was this just from real recent delete activity (inside the auto clear range) ?

BTW 46Gig of deletes
You know you can force a one time (extra) cleanup at any time
Old 06-25-2024, 03:20 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For one acquaintance, the .caltrash was a life, well, library saver. He wanted to clean out a mass of mobi and original_* files and accidentally clicked on epub as well. Ended up with 11 PDF files in his library. The caltrash feature let him select and restore all his epubs with covers and metadata without the joy of trying to restore from the Trash or Recycle Bin.
Hmm. That is what backups are for.

Not denying that caltrash can be useful, though.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:28 PM   #8
dljeffery

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You know you can force a one time (extra) cleanup at any time
Well, I sure didn't know that!

Had to search a bit just now to see exactly how to do it... never would have expected that the only way to empty Calibre's trash would be to click Remove Books | Restore Recently Deleted to get to the option to cleanup the trash.

EDIT:

Well, the only way aside from manually deleting .caltrash from my disk, after first quitting Calibre to be safe.

Last edited by dljeffery; 06-25-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:29 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmm. That is what backups are for.

Not denying that caltrash can be useful, though.
If they had restored from their backup, they would have lost about a week of work on their library. Using the caltrash feature restored it to where it was before the fat fingered mistake.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:31 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

Had to search a bit just now to see exactly how to do it... never would have expected that the only way to empty Calibre's trash would be to click Remove Books | Restore Recently Deleted to get to the option to cleanup the trash.
Some of the locations for various calibre options are a bit idiosyncratic. Theat Creating a catalog is an option under convert books is one that always makes me chuckle.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:39 PM   #11
dljeffery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Some of the locations for various calibre options are a bit idiosyncratic. Theat Creating a catalog is an option under convert books is one that always makes me chuckle.
Huh. I think I just DELETED my post you quoted about finding how to empty Calibre trash, by clicking "edit", adding an edit to the bottom saying I had decided to just directly delete .caltrash from my disk, not seeing an in-app way to do it.

And then the post I edited disappeared when I hit the Save button.

But yeah... I was telling someone a few weeks or so ago how to polish an ebook in Calibre. And I had to Google how to do it, even though I've been using the Polish feature for months and months, because I couldn't recall how to get there if it wasn't already on the toolbar! Of course, in retrospect, looking in Preferences | Toolbars seems so obvious. Which is actually the first place I looked today to see if that was also where the Empty Trash functionality was hiding.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:44 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

EDIT:

Well, the only way aside from manually deleting .caltrash from my disk, after first quitting Calibre to be safe.
You had to search?
The post before yours provided the way.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:46 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Huh. I think I just DELETED my post you quoted about finding how to empty Calibre trash, by clicking "edit", adding an edit to the bottom saying I had decided to just directly delete .caltrash from my disk, not seeing an in-app way to do it.

And then the post I edited disappeared when I hit the Save button.

But yeah... I was telling someone a few weeks or so ago how to polish an ebook in Calibre. And I had to Google how to do it, even though I've been using the Polish feature for months and months, because I couldn't recall how to get there if it wasn't already on the toolbar! Of course, in retrospect, looking in Preferences | Toolbars seems so obvious. Which is actually the first place I looked today to see if that was also where the Empty Trash functionality was hiding.
Your posts went into moderation Q for some reason, I released them.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:19 PM   #14
dljeffery

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You had to search?
The post before yours provided the way.
It actually didn't before I replied. The instructions were added at the top afterward.

EDIT:

Or maybe it did, and I skimmed too quickly; I don't know.

Over 100 degrees here and it might just be the heat getting to me.

Last edited by dljeffery; 06-25-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:42 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

?? Another of your posts went into the Moderation Q. I have no clue why it was waiting for approval
(if you had not guessed: I am part of the Calibre Mod crew)

100 is a goodly part of the USA lately.
It only got a little over 90 here We also have a balcont seat to SpaceX launches out of VSB