Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-23-2024, 08:29 AM   #37366
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You chose to bring the kids.
Wow. As opposed to what, leaving them to hold down the fort at home alone?

Parents have a hard time and they've got a lot to juggle. The intolerance and censoriousness of this comment are breathtaking. I'm childless myself, btw.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:01 AM   #37367
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Parents have a hard time and they've got a lot to juggle. The intolerance and censoriousness of this comment are breathtaking. I'm childless myself, btw.
The thing is, there are a lot of people who don't quite qualify for a blue badge yet would benefit from being able to hopefully park closer to the store or to have more disabled spaces.

The parent/child spaces should not been at the front of the parking lot. Maybe in the middle. Not everyone has that many kids at once who are young enough that you need have a stroller for all of them. When I was in a stroller, my sister was well past stroller age.

I really do not like the parent/child spaces. When my sister and I were young, there were no such thing. My mother had to deal in a normal parking space. My sister's two kids are closer in age and she didn't have parent/child parking spaces.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-23-2024 at 10:04 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:44 AM   #37368
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
^^So because you weren't in a position to benefit from something, no one else should, ever?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 11:09 AM   #37369
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
^^So because you weren't in a position to benefit from something, no one else should, ever?
I think it's not a good idea to make the parent/child space at the front of the lot.

The other problem is that a parent/child will park there when they don't actually need space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:26 PM   #37370
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I think those parent/child parking spaces should be at the back of the lot and not at the front. You aren't disabled. So you don't need to be at the front. Besides, it's your choice to bring your child with you to the store.
That... sort of defeats the point of having them.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 03:24 PM   #37371
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For the ratio of various reserved spaces to the total number of spaces in parking lots, I feel people are making a mountain of a mole hill.

Honestly this is just typical of a lot of modern society; so many feel why should we do nice things for other people when it just inconveniences me!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 03:47 PM   #37372
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Honestly this is just typical of a lot of modern society; so many feel why should we do nice things for other people when it just inconveniences me!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure there have always been lots of folks who think so. Not only in modern times.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 05:44 PM   #37373
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
By that logic, we should never try to improve anything.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:28 AM   #37374
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You chose to bring the kids.
If the other other choice is to leave the kids alone at home, there is no choice but to take the kids with you.
Quote:
The thing is, there are a lot of people who don't quite qualify for a blue badge yet would benefit from being able to hopefully park closer to the store or to have more disabled spaces.
Perhaps you could explicate more on those people who do not qualify for a handicapped hanger who would benefit from parking closer to the store or having more handicapped spots? Exactly what issues do these people have that would make parking closer to the store beneficial and yet they would not qualify for a handicapped hanger?

I looked at the parking space distribution for 3 larger malls in this area. The total of handicapped and parent/child parking spots is less that 1% of the total parking spots. I guess not being able to use <1% of the total parking spots is truly a burden on the non-handicapped person with no children under 10 years in the car.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-24-2024 at 01:36 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 10:17 AM   #37375
Julie Paradise
Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePW Scribe Palma Poke5 NovaAir2 NA3C TUC Max2 TabX A6X2
Quote:

@issybird: Thank you, really.

This answer ("you chose to bring the kids") was even more heartless than the one before, and I am still baffled about how someone who knows next to nothing about someone else's life and circumstances can smack them with such a rude reply.
Julie Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 11:20 AM   #37376
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I think those parent/child parking spaces should be at the back of the lot and not at the front. You aren't disabled. So you don't need to be at the front. Besides, it's your choice to bring your child with you to the store.
There was a time that due to unforeseeable events, my choices were to run errands with children or to not run errands at all. I certainly could not have afforded to hire a babysitter just so that I would not have to take children with me.

I will continue to be grateful to the stores who decided to reserve parking spaces for people with small children near an entrance. While it may not have been strictly necessary, it was certainly helpful when dealing with children who still needed to be carried.

Carrying small children to the store (to avoid having to juggle a stroller and shopping cart), shopping with them, going back to the car with children and the shopping cart, unloading the shopping cart, returning the shopping cart (with children in tow) and then carrying them back to the car, does make any distance seem significantly longer. Particularly when trying to do all this before said small children get tired of shopping.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:27 PM   #37377
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
People who never clean the family pooch's significant minefield off of their sidewalk. "Hey, I'm walkin' heah!"
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:52 PM   #37378
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Back during the 80's when my kids were little, if I would have needed to take them with me to the grocery store, there were always baggers who would help getting my groceries to the car. I rarely needed help, because I was usually without a small child.

It's very different shopping today than it was back then. While you can always ask for help when leaving, chances are that means waiting a bit for an employee to be available to assist. None of the grocery stores, or a multi-shop place like Walmart have baggers. The cashier does it all, and they can't leave their cash register to assist a shopper.

This puts a burden on the elderly, and the parent who may be on their own with several little kids in tow. You don't have to be "disabled" to need assistance at times.

Stores attempt to make up for this with special parking places, but the truth is, that costs them nothing. Actual customer service is a thing of the past.

The rude comments by one should be no surprise to anyone who has been around this site for any length of time. That person's $**t doesn't stink, dontcha know.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:47 PM   #37379
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I prefer to park at the deserted end of carparks, far, far away from the store. Just my car, micro litter tornados and tumbleweeds. I'd rather have the walk than any more dings and scratches from the oblivious herds opening car doors and losing control of their shopping trollies.

Leading to my main rant... people that fail to return their shopping trolley, lazily abandoning it by their car or with a sociopathic shove towards other vehicles. For those people I wish nights of insomnia with nothing but mosquitos for company.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:51 PM   #37380
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I prefer to park at the deserted end of carparks,
Yep, me too. I don't really care how far away I park as I find no problems with walking, unlike most others that will easily spend 20min driving around until they find a spot next to the front door.
I like to reverse in, and where possible have one side of the car next to a pole or wall, so it reduces the risk of the car next to me dinging me with their door.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness