Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2024, 07:35 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Audio books

I've bought a Sage and it's on it's way to me. I didn't buy it for audio books, however I understand it has that functionality. Before I bought it I watched several YouTube reviews however they are a couple of years old so I don't know if the info has changed.

Is it possible to add my own audio books to the Sage or is it still limited to Kobos own service?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:39 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can add your own books however the player used for sideloaded audio books is, being kind, very primitive. You can read more in the Sideloading Audiobooks thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:42 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can, but you can't use the good audiobook interface with sideloaded audiobooks. The interface is clunkier for sideloaded audiobooks. You probably don't want to use the Sage for audiobooks at all, as using the BlueTooth radio all the time will negate the battery life benefits of an e-reader. You're better off using a phone/audio player for that purpose.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:47 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You can, but you can't use the good audiobook interface with sideloaded audiobooks. The interface is clunkier for sideloaded audiobooks. You probably don't want to use the Sage for audiobooks at all, as using the BlueTooth radio all the time will negate the battery life benefits of an e-reader. You're better off using a phone/audio player for that purpose.
Not just the BT radio, but CPU can't sleep, and much more file reading is used.

A phone is better for audio books or music as the screen turns off giving long running time. Audio on any eink dramatically shortens run time per charge as in normal reading the cpu sleeps except when turning page.

You want to only use eink to read books and similar paginated content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:09 AM   #5
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
It was never something I thought about until after I placed the order, I use my phone for audio books currently.

However I do like to disconnect and my mobile phone is the enemy when that happens. I think it's probably less likely I'll use the sage for audio books but I think I want to find out if it's possible at least. It would only be in the house so battery life isn't too big a deal.

Thank you for your answers, I think that's going to give me all I need to know!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote