Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2024, 04:14 PM   #106
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
At that point in the setup, connect it to your computer using a USB connection instead of connecting to WiFi. Add SideloadedMode=true under the ApplicationPreferences header. Safely eject.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 04:43 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Hi. But, is anyone able to use kobo as a generic stand alone ereader? I attempted today but I really could not. In the beginning, I logged out, then I restarted it by a factory reset but in both cases the first thing kobo did was asking me my WiFi key in order to connect itself to my account
Has it fooled me around?...
Connect to your WiFi, input input your account details, and once done, turn off WiFi. Done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 06:17 PM   #108
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Connect to your WiFi, input input your account details, and once done, turn off WiFi. Done!
Or put fake email and password at new setup. You can still buy ebooks on Kobo (or anywhere), download to PC, remove DRM and copy via USB.

Or connect USB and start reset and make SideloadedMode=true in the config.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 08:06 AM   #109
juliuss
juliuss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At that point in the setup, connect it to your computer using a USB connection instead of connecting to WiFi. Add SideloadedMode=true under the ApplicationPreferences header. Safely eject.
That worked on Kobo Clara Colour.

For other users, the file DNSB is refering to is `.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf`.

I'm still not sure whether you have to connect it to wifi first.
juliuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 08:11 AM   #110
juliuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You still have to register. That won't do for someone that paranoid.
There is nothing to be paranoid about.

Kobo could allow you to download the book on your PC and transfer to your e-reader via USB.

The fact they need an account is to collect user data and track you.

Or they could at the very least allow you to opt out of registration.

For someone who already has his own ebooks and only wants to read that.

Instead no, you are forced to register an account.

If you are in Europe, send a GDPR access request to a company you registered an account with. You would be astonished by the amount of data they collect.

Quote:
I bet the OP has a cell phone, computer, streaming service and/or TV service and they are all registered. So why not register the Kobo?
My cell phone does not have a Google account attached to it. Most of my apps are from F-droid.

My PC runs Linux and does not require a registration to be used, in contrast with Microsoft Windows which requires a Microsoft account to be used.

This new concept that you need an online account to use your device is completely broken and out of mind.

There is absolutely no need to have an online account. You can download firmware updates without an online account. That's how all linux distributions work, that's how Microsoft Windows worked for decades before introducing compulsory online registration.

Yes, it's technically possible. You can download a file from the web without registering an account to that website. I assure you. Seems strange. Seems weird. But it is possible. Check it out.

Last edited by juliuss; 06-16-2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:55 AM   #111
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have no online registration on Win10 and it updates. Local account only.

You can use fake email @ fake domain. Kobo doesn't check. Or most Kobo FW now allow setting "SideloadedMode=true" in config if you boot with USB cable connected.

So you are inaccurate.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 11:30 AM   #112
juliuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have no online registration on Win10 and it updates. Local account only.

You can use fake email @ fake domain. Kobo doesn't check. Or most Kobo FW now allow setting "SideloadedMode=true" in config if you boot with USB cable connected.

So you are inaccurate.
What I mean is that there is no "official" way to skip registration.

There is no "I don't want to register" button.

Of course there are hacks and workarounds (see my previous posts).
Old 06-16-2024, 01:03 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliuss View Post
There is nothing to be paranoid about.

Kobo could allow you to download the book on your PC and transfer to your e-reader via USB.

The fact they need an account is to collect user data and track you.

Or they could at the very least allow you to opt out of registration.

For someone who already has his own ebooks and only wants to read that.

Instead no, you are forced to register an account.

If you are in Europe, send a GDPR access request to a company you registered an account with. You would be astonished by the amount of data they collect.

My cell phone does not have a Google account attached to it. Most of my apps are from F-droid.

My PC runs Linux and does not require a registration to be used, in contrast with Microsoft Windows which requires a Microsoft account to be used.

This new concept that you need an online account to use your device is completely broken and out of mind.

There is absolutely no need to have an online account. You can download firmware updates without an online account. That's how all linux distributions work, that's how Microsoft Windows worked for decades before introducing compulsory online registration.

Yes, it's technically possible. You can download a file from the web without registering an account to that website. I assure you. Seems strange. Seems weird. But it is possible. Check it out.
You give more information to have a bank account then you do to register with Kobo. You cannot say you've not given your information to companies who are less secure then Kobo. So it's wrong to say you should not have to have an online account as you do have to have some.

Yes, it is paranoia and privacy is a fallacy.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-16-2024 at 01:07 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 08:19 PM   #114
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliuss View Post
That worked on Kobo Clara Colour.

For other users, the file DNSB is refering to is `.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf`.

I'm still not sure whether you have to connect it to wifi first.
You connect to your computer over USB instead of connecting to WiFi. No connection to WiFi is needed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote