Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-14-2024, 04:52 PM   #1
SydneyJB
SydneyJB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Creating a line under chapter number

Hi, I need help. I am still learning Calibre. To create an elegant, small line between my chapter number and my character’s name at the chapter opener, is it better to use a png of a small line, or is it ok to use a Bergamot Ornament typeface?

Selecting the tilde ~ gives a nice little line in Bergamot Ornament. But I’m worried that all epub readers will strip out the Bergamot Ornament typeface. I see these lines with tapered ends in other epubs. Are they using images? Thanks!!
SydneyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:08 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There are various methods, but it depends on...

1. What type of line you are wanting. Just a simple straight line, or some type of ornamental Fleuron?
2. Which ereader will you be reading it on?

Maybe post a screenshot of what you want it to look like.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:35 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Or simple, basic CSS ways

Keywords:
<hr />
text-decoration: underline

(see the 'box model' theory for understanding)
border-bottom
padding-bottom
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:19 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And css can have width: 30%; like on an <hr class="small" />
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:56 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And css can have width: 30%; like on an <hr class="small" />
width was unreliable on older (that is all I have) versions of RMSDK

if you used Width, it did not (self) center
So I always forced it over (use needed math)
margin-left: 35%;
width:30%
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 11:21 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
width was unreliable on older (that is all I have) versions of RMSDK

if you used Width, it did not (self) center
So I always forced it over (use needed math)
margin-left: 35%;
width:30%
Works if the element is in an outer container with desired settings
Then no margin-left is needed, but yes the math approach is reliable.
Of course maybe the line isn't wanted to be centred, but margin-left: 1.5em;.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote