Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-15-2024, 07:43 PM   #1
Trester99
Trester99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cover Art not Showing in Calibre

I've been using Calibre several years now, definitely not a power user. My primary use of the program is to build collections of books by specific authors. I use Calibre to update meta-data, convert files (mostly epub) and also load some files to my kindle for reading.

For whatever reason, Calibre will no longer display any book covers in the side panel or the Layout's cover grid. All books show the blue default cover from Calibre.

What I have tried so far:
1. Attempted to Google the issue, everything that I found pertained to cover art not showing in Kindle. I did see a bug fix in the new releases that mentioned book covers displaying caused by the cache. I couldn't find any details for the fix though.
2. I have tried loading several hundred books of various formats (known retail versions), none of the covers displayed.
3. I did try updating the meta-data covers for several books, the covers did show up correctly in Calibre.
4. I un-installed Calibre and the re-installed the latest version, no changes.

Any guidance would be appreciated!
Trester99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:46 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do you mean you have lost all the covers from your library, or that any new books you add no covers are downloaded but existing covers are ok?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:52 PM   #3
Trester99

I don't really use Calibre as a library, just to build collections. So the books that I am adding is only temporary. When I finish building the collection, I save the books to Windows file sub-directories and delete the Calibre entries. My source of books has always worked, until recently.
Old 06-15-2024, 07:56 PM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Are you sure you have the option "Read metadata from file contents" on Preferences -> Adding Books, checked? See:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-06-15, 20_52_01.png
Views:	16
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	208895  
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:59 PM   #5
Trester99

A little better clarification:

Using file explorer, I will drop books for an author into Calibre. Until recently, Calibre has always displayed covers for the books in the side panel without me doing any meta-data manipulation. Something has changed that I will see no covers when importing the books.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:02 PM   #6
Trester99

I use that option very often. But most of the time I rename the book using Excel and file explorer to the naming convention that I use for my books. So when I import the renamed books into Calibre, I want Calibre to assign the proper naming convention using my structure.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:05 PM   #7
Trester99

So I just tried checking that option and importing some books, and the covers do show.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:07 PM   #8
Trester99

I am at a loss for words. Not sure why I would lose the association of the covers? So is there any way to get Calibre to rename the books to my format, and retain the cover association?
Old 06-15-2024, 08:22 PM   #9
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trester99 View Post
I am at a loss for words. Not sure why I would lose the association of the covers? So is there any way to get Calibre to rename the books to my format, and retain the cover association?
If you add the books using "read metadata from filenames", covers can be set later using Edit Metadata, see the option at mouse cursor position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-06-15 21_23_54-Editing metadata for 2 books.png
Views:	19
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	208901

This has been discussed recently, though I can't find the thread atm. There is no way to add the covers contained in the e-book files if reading metadata from filenames. That's expected behaviour

Last edited by Comfy.n; 06-15-2024 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:24 PM   #10
Trester99

"expected behaviour" for everyone but me. LOL! I do understand now, and thank you so much!!!
Old 06-15-2024, 08:26 PM   #11
Comfy.n

note that I've changed the attached screencap previously. the option in this case should be "Set from e-book files"

you're welcome
Old 06-16-2024, 12:32 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trester99 View Post
The same answer that people get: do not muck with the books in the calibre library. Treat it as black box from which you export to disk or to an ereader device. The file name is irrelevant to the library, the metadata stored in calibre's database is.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote