Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-14-2024, 08:39 PM   #1
lphilpot
lphilpot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Desktop shortcut to ebook?

This seems like a FAQ but so far I've not found it, if so.

I'm on Windows 11 and would like to create desktop / menu shortcuts to books I've added to Calibre -- To load them into the document viewer without launching the full GUI.

Is the only option to manually create a shortcut calling ebook-viewer.exe with the explicit path to the book file inside my Calibre library? I'm hoping there's something a bit more integrated...

Thanks.
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/url_scheme.html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:00 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Be aware: if you click on shortcut with a calibre://view-book link then:
  • if its not already started the calibre library manager will start in the library specified in the link.
  • if calibre library manager is already started then, if its not already there, it will switch to the library specified in the link.
I have handful of books that I refer to frequently, I use regular shortcuts to the file for those.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 03:51 PM   #4
lphilpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Be aware: if you click on shortcut with a calibre://view-book link then:
  • if its not already started the calibre library manager will start in the library specified in the link.
  • if calibre library manager is already started then, if its not already there, it will switch to the library specified in the link.
Yes, I discovered that when I tried the calibre:// approach before posting my question. It works, but the manager launches in the process. Calling ebook-viewer.exe directly works, it's just a little more specific effort since the actual file must be found and specified.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2024, 03:53 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd export, "Save to disk" and then a regular shortcut. It's best to pretend the books in the library can only be accessed via Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 04:02 PM   #6
lphilpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd export, "Save to disk" and then a regular shortcut. It's best to pretend the books in the library can only be accessed via Calibre.
I already have books saved elsewhere, so I can always access them outside calibre. I'd add my voice to the requests for optionally linked vs. copied books except it's already a moot point, but I digress.

I guess what I could do is just use ebook-viewer.exe exclusively and keep a folder of shortcuts for books as needed. I don't have that many and I don't need any cross-document searching capabilities, etc.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:42 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphilpot View Post
I already have books saved elsewhere, so I can always access them outside calibre. I'd add my voice to the requests for optionally linked vs. copied books except it's already a moot point, but I digress.

I guess what I could do is just use ebook-viewer.exe exclusively and keep a folder of shortcuts for books as needed. I don't have that many and I don't need any cross-document searching capabilities, etc.

Thanks.
If the calibre designer had wanted to prevent users accessing THEIR data he would have made it hard to do so, instead he made it easy - Press O et voilà… then:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-16 120428.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	208903
  • Don't like the name, right click, select Properties and change it.
  • Don't like the icon, right click, select Properties and change it.
  • Want to give it a hotkey, right click, select Properties and do so.
  • Want to move the shortcut, go right ahead.
  • Want to change the content of target, go right ahead, just don't change the name or location.
  • And, if you can edit the target you could put a calibre://show-book link into it.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote