Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2024, 08:58 PM   #1
Purrceys
Purrceys began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
upgrading Kobo to Clara BW or Nia

Hi all,

I'm currently using an old Aura Kobo and side loading epubs through Calibre 7.12 on a Windows 10 computer with a USB cable.

I'm considered upgrading my Kobo to either a Clara BW or Nia although I have concerns about database corruption with side loading through a usb port and the performance of Calibre with the Clara BW.

I could buy a Nia as my husband did a year ago (he side loads his epubs through usb from a Unix machine with an older version of Calibre) although I'd prefer a newer Kobo.

Are there still issues with the Clara BW and database corruption when side loading books via USB? (I don't usually transfer huge numbers at once)? How does the Clara BW work with the current version of Calibre (7.12)?

Last edited by Purrceys; 06-09-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Purrceys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 09:11 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
As far as I know, the Clara BW has never shown an issue with database corruption. That seems to have been an issue that was fixed in the 4.39 firmware (Libra Colour, Clara Colour and Clara BW only).

The Clara BW works very well with the calibre 7.12. I know 2 people who have one. One of them transferred ~2000 books to their Clara BW when they first purchased it and no issues were seen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 09:19 PM   #3
Purrceys

Thank you for the reply.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:20 AM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
I put on several thousand books to the CBW without issues using calibre.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:54 PM   #5
Purrceys

To update, I picked my up my new Clara BW today. Calibre recognized it immediately and the import of my books into the new reader went very smoothly.

I'm very happy with my new reader. It is faster to charge (I prefer usb c) and the screen is sharper. I also notice it's easier to type on the screen when doing searches (the Aura would often misread the typed letter which could be quite frustrating.)
Old 06-10-2024, 10:11 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrceys View Post
To update, I picked my up my new Clara BW today. Calibre recognized it immediately and the import of my books into the new reader went very smoothly.
I read, in another thread, that the Clara BW worked great with KePubs but was slow at opening ePubs, have you noticed or any slowing down when opening ePubs? (I guess it would depend on whether you use ePubs on your Kobos.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:46 PM   #7
Purrceys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I read, in another thread, that the Clara BW worked great with KePubs but was slow at opening ePubs, have you noticed or any slowing down when opening ePubs? (I guess it would depend on whether you use ePubs on your Kobos.)
I didn't find it slow opening epubs - all my files are in epub format. However my previous Kobo was much older (an Aura, released in 2013) and I've haven't used any other ereaders.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:57 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrceys View Post
I didn't find it slow opening epubs - all my files are in epub format. However my previous Kobo was much older (an Aura, released in 2013) and I've haven't used any other ereaders.
The one poster said 8 to 15 seconds to open ePubs so, I'm guessing, whatever the issue was it's either been fixed or was just a problem with that one Clara. Good to hear. Thanks.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-11-2024 at 10:51 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote