Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2021, 07:00 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hisense A7 CC Colour E-Ink Mobile Phone released

Hisense have released their latest E-Ink Mobile Phone.

The A7 CC has a 6.7" 300ppi 2nd Generation Kaleido colour screen from E-Ink.

See https://ereaderx.com/product/hisense...or-eink-phone/
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Woooo, looks nice!
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Shame it's so huge (like all phones now).
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
Hmm. Looks handy at first and no doubt it is.

However, if it's like previous Hisense phones it'll be siphoning off your contacts to be sold at a cheap price to data brokers who then sell them on to robocallers.

Other problems with previous Hisense phones:
- the battery killer kills the VPN even when excluded
- the private DNS menu option in Android 10 has been deleted

Also, the screen isn't high contrast and it's so big you need a i-ring to each anything.

But no... I'm not jealous!!

Shall I upgrade?
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
It looks much better than the previous generation, but still not quite good enough for my taste. There's a lot of ghosting, the colour layer is still considerably less than 300ppi judging from the videos I've seen. I would be quite keen on the BW version if not for the size. The higher PPI, bigger battery and even better audio chip are all tempting features, but not ones I would be able to carry in my pocket at that size...
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If I needed a new phone, I'd be tempted, just to see what it's like. But I've just got a second-hand iPhone 6S with 128MB, and that's going to do me just fine for a couple of years.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:59 PM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If I needed a new phone, I'd be tempted, just to see what it's like. But I've just got a second-hand iPhone 6S with 128MB, and that's going to do me just fine for a couple of years.
The problem with using these as phones is that they seem to drop calls and SMS at random. I had to put my SIM cards back in a dumbphone to be sure I get all my messages. Annoyingly, I now have to carry two phones with me..

Calling and sending messages seemed to work perfectly, but the phone was unreliable in receiving them. And this is with full bars (4G).

I don't seem to be alone with this problem either, sadly; and I haven't seen anyone post a solution for it yet.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It doesn't say if the battery is replaceable, which is a must for me. I use my phones for years, and I've never once had one where the battery didn't need replacing.

And the size is just too big for me for a phone. About 5.7" display is the about the highest that's the most comfortable for my hands (and my tiny purse I use). Others are just too big for me and makes them annoying to use.

I'd love to see a decent e-ink phone though to be able to actually read no matter where I'm at outdoors. This one does come pretty close for me.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-07-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 08:55 AM   #9
Alexwfm
Alexwfm began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A7CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
The problem with using these as phones is that they seem to drop calls and SMS at random. I had to put my SIM cards back in a dumbphone to be sure I get all my messages. Annoyingly, I now have to carry two phones with me..

Calling and sending messages seemed to work perfectly, but the phone was unreliable in receiving them. And this is with full bars (4G).

I don't seem to be alone with this problem either, sadly; and I haven't seen anyone post a solution for it yet.
I wish I've read this before buying, it's strange that no one found a solution to it yet..
Otherwise amazing phone, even if the resolution is not great it can still look amazing outdoor and the colours make apps like google maps look readable.
Alexwfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 09:22 AM   #10
kandwo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwfm View Post
I wish I've read this before buying, it's strange that no one found a solution to it yet..
Otherwise amazing phone, even if the resolution is not great it can still look amazing outdoor and the colours make apps like google maps look readable.
Actually, there is a solution that worked for me:

Here's what I did:

In Settings -> Battery -> Power saving management -> Memory intelligent cleaning: White list QKSMS

Settings -> Battery -> Power saving management -> Battery optimization: disable for QKSMS

In Settings -> App and permission management -> Self-running management: Allow QKSMS to autorun.

And finally I allowed all permissions for QKSMS (making it a "trusted app"), which I deemed safe since the app is open source and popular.

+ Exception from freeze locker

This is all caused by an over-aggressive battery saving policy. But it shouldn't affect the call functionality, if you are using the default app. Otherwise just follow the above procedure for your alternative dialing app.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:21 PM   #11
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How's the battery life?
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote