Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-06-2024, 09:19 AM   #1
kindle46
kindle46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 and 6
Kindle Paperwhite Signature edition displays only few books

I used to use a Kindle 4 with duokan what did work great for all formats and books.
Now we own a new "Kindle Paperwhite Signature edition" but if
I copy books onto it (via USB) only a few of them are displayed.
I suppose "Signature edition" means only from Amazun signatured books can be displayed? As it is impossible to unlock the bootloader and install other oprerating systems via locked serial port I wonder if there is any possibillity to display all Kinds of books?

What other possibility do I have to to stop the analysis of books before they are (not!) displayed?
kindle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:25 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Are those books epubs? A non-jailbroken Kindle cannot read epubs. The books need to be either AZW3, MOBI or KFX. Easy enough to convert with Calibre.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:40 AM   #3
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Try uploading book via send to kindle website?
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:18 AM   #4
kindle46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Are those books epubs? A non-jailbroken Kindle cannot read epubs. The books need to be either AZW3, MOBI or KFX. Easy enough to convert with Calibre.
In the operational manual of "Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition" is printed, that he can read epub!
But he also does not show much mobi or azw3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
Try uploading book via send to kindle website?
What is "upload book via send to kindle website". Do I have to send my unsigned lended books to Amazon? (I do not want to do this becaus of security and do not believe that Kindle is then adding a valid signature to my books of unknown origin?).
(Or does Calibre have a hiden funktion to add a valid signature to all kinds of ebooks so that they can be displayed in the "Kindle signature edition"?).

I think the best will be to sell this hirrible devide with loss.

Last edited by kindle46; 06-06-2024 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2024, 10:42 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle46 View Post
In the operational manual of "Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition" is printed, that he can read epub!
But he also does not show much mobi or azw3!

What is "upload book via send to kindle website". Do I have to send my unsigned lended books to Amazon? (I do not want to do this becaus of security and do not believe that Kindle is then adding a valid signature to my books of unknown origin?).
(Or does Calibre have a hiden funktion to add a valid signature to all kinds of ebooks so that they can be displayed in the "Kindle signature edition"?).

I think the best will be to sell this hirrible devide with loss.
No, Kindles can't read epub natively. What the manual means is that you can send an epub via e-mail or Send-to-Kindle to Amazon, who will then convert it to a Kindle format and downloads it to your Kindle.

There is no way you'll be able to read a sideloaded (transferred via USB) epub on your non-jailbroken Kindle. You need to convert it to AZW3, MOBI or KFX.

If you want to read unconverted epubs and not upload them to Amazon servers for converting, buy a Kobo or a Pocketbook.

A signature or the lack of it has nothing to do with your issue. It's a question of the format your Kindle can or cannot read. Kindles can't read the epub format.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-06-2024 at 10:46 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:56 AM   #6
axu2
Connoisseur

Signature just means it’s a more premium version of the normal kindle. There’s no digital signing of files happening.

Last edited by axu2; 06-06-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2024, 11:04 AM   #7
kindle46

Obviously buying it was a misunderstandig in the manual with .epub displayed at amazon.
A big mistake.
Anyway books are not even displayed in the listing if Kindle does not like the format.
If I rename a .epub to .azw3 it is nor displayed so Kindle tests all books if I diconnect USB and only displays them if it likes the format after testing it even before the user opens the book. :|
Old 06-06-2024, 11:09 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
If I rename a .epub to .azw3 it is nor displayed so Kindle tests all books if I diconnect USB and only displays them if it likes the format after testing it even before the user opens the book. :|
Yes that is how it works. It needs to read the metadata from the book in order to obtain the title, author, and cover image to show in the list of books on the device. That can’t happen if the book is in an unrecognized file format.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 01:45 PM   #9
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Obviously buying it was a misunderstandig in the manual with .epub displayed at amazon.
A big mistake.
Anyway books are not even displayed in the listing if Kindle does not like the format.
You just renamed the file, you didn’t change the format. It’s still an epub.

Kindles support EPUBs if you convert it using https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle
Old 06-06-2024, 05:28 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use Calibre to convert epubs to azw3. It's free and secure. Works on Mac, Windows and Linux.

Renaming doesn't work.

No need to use Amazon's dubious "Send to Kindle". Why does it NOT accept Kindle format? What does Amazon really do with the files·?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:50 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No need to use Amazon's dubious "Send to Kindle". Why does it NOT accept Kindle format? What does Amazon really do with the files·?
I asked that question a while back. The reply from Amazon.ca was to the effect that if you have an Amazon azw3/KF8 or KFX ebook, the assumption is that it was obtained from Amazon and the likely reasons for trying to send it via Send to Kindle is an attempt to bypass device limitations after removing the DRM or a pirated copy. Whereas mobi is a legacy format for which StK support has been removed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 04:55 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I asked that question a while back. The reply from Amazon.ca was to the effect that if you have an Amazon azw3/KF8 or KFX ebook, the assumption is that it was obtained from Amazon and the likely reasons for trying to send it via Send to Kindle is an attempt to bypass device limitations after removing the DRM or a pirated copy. Whereas mobi is a legacy format for which StK support has been removed.
I was sure that's their argument. Though it's arrogant and multiply wrong.

Mobi existed before there even was a Kindle. Moat people do not use Calibre.

Basically they want copies of everything they didn't sell and erroneously assume that they, Amazon, are the only source of legitimate FKX, azw3, dual mobi and mobi. Even based on what they told you!
Old 06-07-2024, 04:57 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Yes, really a rhetorical question as I and most others here would assume that's their answer!
Old 06-07-2024, 04:20 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I was sure that's their argument. Though it's arrogant and multiply wrong.

Mobi existed before there even was a Kindle. Moat people do not use Calibre.

Basically they want copies of everything they didn't sell and erroneously assume that they, Amazon, are the only source of legitimate FKX, azw3, dual mobi and mobi. Even based on what they told you!
Pretty much yeah. I keep thinking of an old skit from Saturday Night Live. Slightly misquoted as: "We Don't Care. We Don't Have To. We're Amazon."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote