Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-06-2024, 03:45 PM   #1
farfromrefuge
farfromrefuge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Boox note air 3 question

Hi,

I am looking at maybe acquiring a Boox note air3 to use during a long trip.
I know it can be rooted which is a great thing.
I am wondering if i can use openGL apps on that tablet.
more specifically this app, which is my app https://github.com/Akylas/alpimaps/
I need to app to plan my trip.

By any chance could someone try to install it and tell me if openstreemap is showing correctly ?

Thanks!!!
farfromrefuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 01:46 AM   #2
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
Hi, I can give it a try if you want today and post photos.

I'm using a Boox Page, but it should alrwady give you a good idea.

There is a Note 3 not too expensive that popped up on LeBonCoin yesterday if you want (and if you are French, assuming it based on your use of AlpiMap).
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 02:27 AM   #3
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Started playing around with the app. Funny thing... when I take screenshots, the Boox Page still thinks it's a color device. Once imported on my PC, the screenshots are colored.

Will test again taking pictures using my phone.

Edit, pictures below. Tried to focus on the same areas, with OSMAnd and your app also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlpiMaps_1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	765.2 KB
ID:	208731   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlpiMaps_2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	862.9 KB
ID:	208732   Click image for larger version

Name:	OSM_1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	938.1 KB
ID:	208733   Click image for larger version

Name:	OSM_2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	956.9 KB
ID:	208734  

Last edited by Anghirrim; 06-07-2024 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Most current Eink devices have 32 bit color frame buffers.
The "monofication" occurs as it goes to the Eink display.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 09:02 AM   #5
farfromrefuge
farfromrefuge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
Started playing around with the app. Funny thing... when I take screenshots, the Boox Page still thinks it's a color device. Once imported on my PC, the screenshots are colored.

Will test again taking pictures using my phone.

Edit, pictures below. Tried to focus on the same areas, with OSMAnd and your app also.
That looks awesome! Thanks really happy to see that it works!
Might really go that tablet. Do you like it ?
farfromrefuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 10:20 AM   #6
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromrefuge View Post
That looks awesome! Thanks really happy to see that it works!
Might really go that tablet. Do you like it ?
Which one, the Page? I like it yes, a bit small compared to my Kobo Forma, but nice. Still much better than a 10,3" device during a trip (for transportability purpose).

Side point, Boox devices apparently don't have a working GPS implementation. So your app can be used as an Atlas, but not as an active navigation software.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:44 AM   #7
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Most current Eink devices have 32 bit color frame buffers.
The "monofication" occurs as it goes to the Eink display.
Thanks, that's interesting!