Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2024, 02:25 AM   #1
RobinCB
RobinCB began at the beginning.

Device: None
Password reset error

I have tried searching for this, but most queries seem to relate to unsent emails, so hopefully someone can help me:

I have not used my kobo account for some time and clearly forgot my password. I have tried resetting it and I get the email ok (so my email address is correct), but when I click on the link and enter a new password (8 have tried several different passwords) I get the following error message:

“Something went wrong! Please note that your password cannot match User Name, please use this link to restart the process.”

I click the link and it just sends me back through the password reset loop.

I don’t know what my username is (I gather from the forum that it should be different from my email, but don’t recall having one). I also can’t see anywhere to request it to be sent / reset.

Any idea how I can get back into my kobo account ?
RobinCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:28 AM   #2
Rugbyfan1986
Rugbyfan1986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The username for your kobo account is your email address
Rugbyfan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:30 AM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't know if it helps, but Kobo never required me to make a username. I sign in with my e-mail address and password, so your "username" may also be your e-mail address.

*edit*

Ninja'd!
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
desterly
Enthusiast
desterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: KV, Forma, Libra Colour
I had the same issue with my wife's account.

In that case, i reached out to Kobo and they stated that they will periodically disable an account if there is no activity on it after a period of time. They reenabled the account and then the links worked fine.
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 12:51 PM   #5
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desterly View Post
I had the same issue with my wife's account.

In that case, i reached out to Kobo and they stated that they will periodically disable an account if there is no activity on it after a period of time. They reenabled the account and then the links worked fine.
Wow, that seems a bit customer unfriendly! I can kind of understand, but shouldn't they at least take the step of sending a few warning emails first?
graycyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 05:53 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Several sites do that. When I asked why, the response was that it's a security feature to keep accounts with passwords that may have been compromised from being used.

Too many people still don't use unique passwords never mind 2FA so if you find a password for joe.slob@erewhon.net, the chances are good that it will work for most sites that Joe has an account on.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 05:20 AM   #7
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Yep, as DNSB states is a security reason. At my work they are starting to implement this for old customers without activity in a year or a couple of years. We are periodically handling attacks from hackers using accounts that are using the same mail/password that have been leaked from other systems. For now they haven't managed to achieve anything mischievous, but it's a door that it's better shut to prevent future problems
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 06:50 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's a nearly bogus reason if the account hasn't been used. Also depends on what the account is for.

I think it's wrong that Internet sellers store payment methods and allow purchase without some additional information.

Make a trivial change on the address If you are not going to be using Amazon for a while and then they prompt for payment info.

The Ulster Bank used to disable my credit card frequently, even if it was something like payment for car insurance, car tax, domain name or ISP hosting, which were all regular payments. Done automatically, no human oversight or query to customer. You relied on the seller telling you later, it had failed. We got a different credit credit card even before they pulled out.

No account blocking should ever be automatic.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-07-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, password, reset