Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-05-2024, 10:23 AM   #1
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
Unhappy PDF to AZW Conversion Issues with Tables, Text Boxes, and Brackets

Hi everyone, and thanks for reading. I converted a pdf full of text boxes, bullet points, brackets, tables and post-it notes with text to azw and as expected the conversion was a disaster.
Can I convert brackets, text boxes, and so on to images so that the conversion doesn't make a mess? Or some way using the Modify Book option? What do you recommend I do to get better results with conversion? Any idea is welcome .
P.S. I'd like to keep the text boxes, brackets and so on because they help me keep my attention when reading. I read from a Kindle oasis.
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:39 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
PDFs are intended as an end result.

Often you need a lot of OCR, manual proofing etc.

They sometimes are only marginally less bother than paper.

Also a PDF is both layers and instructions. A layer can be instructions, postscript, vectors, text, various kinds of bitmap images etc.

Get a bigger eink or a big tablet and read them as PDFs, otherwise expect to spend a lot of time and what works for one PDF might not work for another.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:11 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

What he said.

But, if you have access to recent version of MS Word you could try opening the PDF in it. If the PDF was created by Word you should get a reasonably faithful rendition which you can Save as DOCX and try converting that.

But don't get your hopes up too high, I deal with a lot of documents such as the one you describe. Even if I have access to the original manuscript DOCX, converting that to a format that can be read on an e-reader is rarely worth the effort.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:46 PM   #4
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
Thank you both, really. Quoth: I took your advice and sent it straight as a PDF to the Kindle and I'm reading horizontally and it looks reasonably good. Bettered: Yes, I have access to MS so I'm going to convert it to docx and then to pdf to see what it turns out. You may learn things in the process, even if the end result isn't as good .
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw, conversion, pdf