Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-01-2024, 02:39 PM   #1
tomtomtom
tomtomtom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Previewer calls out error where there is none

The Run Quality Checks (beta) of the Kindle Previewer 3 gives me the following error for four instances:

"Your book has an external link that does not work."

However in this page of source material for the book there are scores of deadlinks and I want then to remain so. Yet the previewer calls out only four of them.

Can I safely ignore this error warning? I do not get any such warning with ACE nor Epub Check.

Thanks,
Tom
tomtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:52 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've been using Sigil's URL Checker plugin for a while. It does a good job of identifying the bad links by type and will report more than one link in a file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:23 AM   #3
tomtomtom
tomtomtom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi David,
I agree that the URL checker works well. And the Kindle Previewer works well too.

But here is the problem: the author has a Sources page that in print goes on for three pages. There are probably 30+ https://... TEXT in there. Not one is a link. They are all text. So why does Kindle tell me there are 5 broken external links? None are formatted as links, only text.

Can I just ignore this or do I have to do something?

Tom
tomtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:01 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't use the Kindle Previewer?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 06:54 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomtom View Post
Hi David,
I agree that the URL checker works well. And the Kindle Previewer works well too.

But here is the problem: the author has a Sources page that in print goes on for three pages. There are probably 30+ https://... TEXT in there. Not one is a link. They are all text. So why does Kindle tell me there are 5 broken external links? None are formatted as links, only text.

Can I just ignore this or do I have to do something?
Generally, links are wrapped as:

<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derangement">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derangement</a>

There is a possibility that you have links elsewhere in the ePub. Perhaps a search for href on the other files might help?

Otherwise, can you post just that file so we can take a look at it? I'd suggest opening the ePub in an archive utility (7-Zip for example) and extracting that file and then attaching it to a message here.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:29 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That quality check feature will examine book text looking for obvious URLs even if they are not actually links and will report those that are nonfunctional.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 09:00 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

I did a test epub with working links, broken links and things that looked like links. All but the working links were reported as errors.