Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2024, 03:26 AM   #1
bengtt
bengtt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question A Chinese ebook device : Calibre Expectations?

Hi
My wife is currently in China, and browsing the locally produced e-devices for me.
These most likely have not been made available for overseas market.

What would be a resonable expectation on integrating it to Calibre?
Would it take long time to get it to work? Will be able to provide whatever is needed I presume (within reason).

Cheers
bengtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ted-in-calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:40 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You do realize that many we use daily in other countries are Assembled in China.
What Language do you expect to use with it?
Calibre does not change the DEVICE capabilities. It only tries to makes use.

FWIW As long as the device (folders) can be seen by the Computer, Calibre usually can leave a Book file there (naming can be manipulated via templates)
Additional features are dependent upon what Calibre can access in the device VIEWER DATABASE (Calibre does not provide the device with a viewer)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:46 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My research suggests almost all decent devices are exported. There are local market devices still using Pearl rather than any Carta version (all better), or with no touch. Most have only Chinese language support (at least for GUI), but maybe you both read Chinese.

Avoid MTP/Android.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:56 PM   #5
bengtt

lol, Yeap, all devices are manufactured/assembled in Asia.

But not all devices are exported, so am a bit worried. So many companies creating things all the time there.
But, as long as the devices is mounted by the computer, which all should be, should be fine and dandy.
Ok, perhaps not totally dandy, since I would love that the columns/metadata (Author/Title/Serie&nbr) are properly moved to the device and handled.

Nope, don't read/speak Chinese (to my wife's regret).
No Android/MTP - Got ya
Carta, Touch, English GUI :

Thanks, Need to highlight this to wife
Much appreciating the advices/comments here

Have only been in the Kindle devices for a long time so not sure what is out there to be honest.
The Kobo Libra Color looks cool with all its features, but just worried on the size. Doesn't look like it fits a pocket anymore
Old 05-31-2024, 02:04 AM   #6
bengtt

Avoid MTP/Android
Is this for the connection to the computer is using MTP?
So should not look at boox devices then?
Old 05-31-2024, 04:10 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtt View Post
The Kobo Libra Color looks cool with all its features, but just worried on the size. Doesn't look like it fits a pocket anymore
There is also Kobo Clara Colour, 6".
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 04:21 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre can't do much more than Title and Author metadata on MTP. Also certain operations are slow. Only Windows can have multiple programs using an MTP device. So Calibre is eaily locked out on Mac and Linux if you are not careful.

MS enhanced PTP to MTP, and then extended MTP formusic on the Zune and DRM. Extra code was added to Windows MTP support was backported to Win98.

I have a faint memory that originally you could only use the MTP device in one windows program at a time, originally the intention was that it was for Windows Media Player to talk to a gadget.
Android didn't adopt MTP till 4.0.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

You don't need to go to China to buy a Boox. Many Onyx Boox eink are really Android Tablets with eink rather than an eink ereader that happens to use Android.

If you should have a Boox or not is a separate discussion. I don't have one.

I use the TCL Nxtpaper 11 for anything needing colour. I'd pick up a TCL Nxtpaper 14 or 14 pro if I was anywhere that has them. They are not in USA and Europe yet.

I think for novels / mono content the Libra Colour, or any Kaleido eink, is inferior to the Libra 2 or Clara BW or Sage.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:23 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Warranty support is nearly non-existent if you buy something from a retail shop while in another country. Not like mailorder/internet ordering.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:58 AM   #10
bengtt

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
And Yes, definitely stay away from MTP protocol then.

Would I be correct in assuming that if the eReader device is based on Android, then it is using MTP?
If so, skip all Android devices.
And that brings me only to Kobo devices as far as I know. That handles the Series column/tag/metadata.

I am mainly (only so far) reading books, so don't care about colour. Although it would be great to dispaly the coverpage in full colour But if that affects the reading quality, then no.

And my wife is visiting China relatives for a couple of weeks, and since they do have way more products than here in Melbourne....