Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-29-2024, 03:20 PM   #1
ehbowen
ehbowen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Thoughts on this Android tablet as an e-Reader?

(Apologies for posting the link, delete if it's against the rules)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5g.html/specs

That's a TCL 10 inch Android tablet at a price within my range, and I'm interested. I've never owned a portable e-reader before, unless you count my smartphone; most of my e-Books are on my desktop computer(s) and managed with Calibre.

Would this be a suitable device as an e-reader, mostly used around the house when I'd like to plop down in my comfy chair instead of sitting up at my desktop computer? I'm looking for something which I can get to work and play well with Linux (desktops), Synology (NAS), and Calibre. Any other recommendations?
ehbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 05:24 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
This is not an ereader as such; it's a tablet. If you don't mind reading on an ordinary tablet/computer screen and don't mind the weight, it will probably suit you. I wouldn't want to use it as an ereader (I prefer the eink screen and light weight of dedicated ereaders), but YMMV.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 01:59 AM   #3
Julie Paradise
Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePW Scribe Palma Poke5 NovaAir2 NA3C TUC Max2 TabX A6X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
This is not an ereader as such; it's a tablet. If you don't mind reading on an ordinary tablet/computer screen and don't mind the weight, it will probably suit you. I wouldn't want to use it as an ereader (I prefer the eink screen and light weight of dedicated ereaders), but YMMV.
Yeah, one needs to decide for themselves what kind of reader one is or what kind(s) of material will be read on a device.

For educational reading or PDFs a bigger device is always better suited, corresponding to the notion that you want the whole setting geared towards a more "work-/study-friendly" environment.

It does make a difference whether you set out for educational reading and do that while sitting straight on a desk (of sorts), with pen in hand and attention sparked, while for joyful leisure reading a more handy and small device that you can slouch on a sofa with is nicer.

Not all people have the funds for such luxury to buy more than one device, though, so maybe, @ehbowen we would need to know more about your specific use case to recommend you the right device for your needs or wants. ;-)
Julie Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:20 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
Would this be a suitable device as an e-reader, mostly used around the house when I'd like to plop down in my comfy chair instead of sitting up at my desktop computer? I'm looking for something which I can get to work and play well with Linux (desktops), Synology (NAS), and Calibre. Any other recommendations?
For at home in a comfortable chair I don't think a 10 inch LCD device weighing 490 g is particularly suitable when there are 6 inch EInk devices weighing ~160 g.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:12 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
(Apologies for posting the link, delete if it's against the rules)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5g.html/specs

That's a TCL 10 inch Android tablet at a price within my range, and I'm interested. I've never owned a portable e-reader before, unless you count my smartphone; most of my e-Books are on my desktop computer(s) and managed with Calibre.
The TCL 11 is better for PDFs, maybe a better screen and similar price without cell/mobile modem. Similar weight.

It's great for PDFs, notes etc. However to just read a novel the Sage or Libra 2 (not Libra Colour) is hugely better and you have full metadata search/browse on title, author, subtitle, series and collections with full management via Calibre.

The NAS is irrelevant except for backups.

A 10″ tablet is tiring compared to 7 or 8″ Libra or Sage for reading for 3 to 8 hours, no matter how good the screen.

If you mostly read manga, comics, graphic novels, PDFs and web content then the TCL Nxtpaper 11 is best. The only advantage of the TCL Nxtpaper 10 you link is the modem & SIM for mobile/cell if you have no Wifi.

The Nxtpaper 11 works fairly well with USB-C OTG, one adaptor I have allows charging and a USB-A. Works perfectly with a USB DVB-T stick in HD (better than laptop. Note DVB-T is not in North America, Japan, China and most of Central/South America. Some places need a DVB-T2 stick. A Kobo ereader will only mount via a hub that also has a USB memory stick.
My Nxtpaper 11 can take a 1T micro SD card, but I have a smaller one that was big enough for every document I have since 1994. Nebo for notes (inc PDF import), Jota (free) also for plain text. The Gboard handwriting works with pen or finger to give plain text. Pocketbook for epub and PDF two page view matching book layout, Xodo for PDFs and images, Viber for chat. Firefox browser is faster than the laptop. Musicolet for audiobooks and mp3. The ebook reader apps for Google, Kobo, Amazon, Borrowbox. Libre Office viewer for LO and MS office files. OpenCamera, AAA Image viewer, Snapseed image editor, a drawing app where you can turn off touch.

If you want to read bought and free novels (epub or converted Kindle), get a mono eink Kobo (but not bigger than 8″).

If you want to read loans/subscription/borrows from multiple places inc. Public Library or PDFs, comic, graphic novels, manga or not bother removing DRM, or web content or make notes, then get a NxtPaper. Beats every tablet I ever had and beats some eink models such as Kindle DXG, reMarkable and Elipsa.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:13 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
For at home in a comfortable chair I don't think a 10 inch LCD device weighing 490 g is particularly suitable when there are 6 inch EInk devices weighing ~160 g.
Certainly for novels.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, tablet