Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-29-2024, 04:35 AM   #1
MGA
Enthusiast
MGA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Clara
Enlarged first letter in the text. (DOCX to EPUB)

Greetings,

I am using Calibre to make EPUBs, with DOCX (from LibreOffice) as input format.

I am wondering if it is possible to somehow make the "Drop Cap" function (ie. that the initial letter in a chapter is enlarged) remain in the output EPUB?

So far, this got lost in conversion.

Would be very grateful for any advice!
MGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 05:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The demo docx file here https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...word-documents has a dropcaps that is retained on conversion.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:38 AM   #3
MGA
Enthusiast
MGA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Clara
Thank you so much, that is indeed valuable, and shows that it is possible.

I wonder if the reason could be that I made the input file with LibreOffice, so perhaps it is not a "completely authentic" DOCX...

Anyhow, I suppose one way to fix the issue for my book would be to open the demo file after EPUB conversion in the calibre editor and see what code is used to gnerate this effect, and then simply copy it and simply paste it into my project....

Thank you so much!
MGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:07 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Drop caps or Big first letters have been discussed in various places here at MR. (hint: Search. Also note they tend to be dissed as not all devices support and can cause 'returns' in the marketplace)

The CSS code snippet is not huge, and can be tuned to conditions.
Depending on where in the Page you want to use one, the REGEX to wrap the character(s) in a Dropcap Span can be quite simple.

eg drop wanted on the first Paragraph after the Chapter head

Code:
(</h3>\s+<p class=fp">)([A-Z]}
\1 <span class="dropcap">\2</span>
(there is more REGEX elegant code to get it done, but this works )
remember to handle leading quote character you use
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote