Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-28-2024, 01:38 PM   #1
nemiya
nemiya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 11th
Unhappy Calibre changes the file names for Hebrew books

Every time I add an ebook with a Hebrew filename to my calibre library, the filename (on the file explorer) changes to some mix of English letters. (Even when I don't edit the metadata or anything) It only happens with Hebrew books. English books work well

I tried changing the settings of adding books and saving books to disk but the problem still persists

I thought it might be a problem with my computer/settings/plugins, so I installed calibre on another laptop and tried adding Hebrew books but it's still showing the same

Any tips?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-28 203525.png
Views:	46
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	208562  
nemiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:24 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119175

Try to think of the calibre library as a black box; ignore what is under the covers. Don't browse it expecting to see what items the way you want to.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 04:32 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
In case it was not clear the save to disk function is used to make a copy of a book file outside of your calibre library. It has nothing to do with the file names used within a library.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 05:32 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119175

Try to think of the calibre library as a black box; ignore what is under the covers. Don't browse it expecting to see what items the way you want to.
Calibre will also change the filename of English filenames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
In case it was not clear the save to disk function is used to make a copy of a book file outside of your calibre library. It has nothing to do with the file names used within a library.
Even then for any decent ereader the filenames are not important. The Title, Author (and on Kobo: collection, series and subtitle) will be as desired.

Don't look inside the box at all, the Calibre Library storage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:31 AM   #5
nemiya
nemiya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 11th
Thank you all for the replies. The problem also happens when I save it to disk and most importantly - when I send files to my kindle via email. Is there any way to make the title in Hebrew when sending via email? Thank you
nemiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:33 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiya View Post
Thank you all for the replies. The problem also happens when I save it to disk and most importantly - when I send files to my kindle via email. Is there any way to make the title in Hebrew when sending via email? Thank you
Does the title show in Hebrew in the GUI? If the title in the metadata of the OPF (in the ePub and not the calibre library directory) and not the show in Hebrew?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:36 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kindles use (Book) Internal Metadata.
If you need to insert additional info (like Series_index), Use the (In Preferences) plugboard
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:59 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiya View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=349290
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 02:04 PM   #9
dandman
Enthusiast
dandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watch

Device: none
i love it that you all know how to explain the "Black-box" reason, but the truth is that this is a bugging situation for someone that meticulously ordered and renamed his/hers library,

the way to do things and to gain both sides is to separate data and presentation / transport layers, so the files can be saved wherever and in whatever name, and when indexing / sending - set the proper headers to set a different filename to the kindle or index table,

that said - i have gave in to the way Calibre organize the books, since it is such a good and invested program that it's advantages overcome these small disadvantage,

b.t.w. did i saw someone writing that there is a fork or a plugin that can keep the book names as is ?
dandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:23 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can order and rename your library however you want. I used to do that before I started using calibre when I realized that I was spending more time curating my library and worrying about the directory structure than I was spending actually reading books.

However, the calibre library is not yours and there are pretty good reasons for most of the decisions involved in it's design/structure. As you have been told before, treat it as a black box and worry about the output files.

As for calibre forks? Last time I looked there were over 2000 of them. Most of the ones I've looked at were too many commits behind for them to be useful.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-29-2024 at 03:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:51 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandman View Post
the way to do things and to gain both sides is to separate data and presentation / transport layers, so the files can be saved wherever and in whatever name, and when indexing / sending - set the proper headers to set a different filename to the kindle or index table,
It does. The books in the library are not what the user sees or uses. That's why there is "Send to Device", "treat a directory(folder) as a device" and "Save to disk"
You can sort/organise and name the spreadsheet view of the library however you like.

Filenames when it comes to books or documents just need to be unique. They only need to be human readible when exported for something like KOReader that's like 1970s "management" as it doesn't use metadata browsing but OS filenames. Any decent Library view rather than simply a file viewer uses metadata in a database, not filenames.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 05:28 PM   #12
dandman
Enthusiast
dandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watch

Device: none
"Save to disk" is an export and will create duplicate library (twice the size),
a persistence and presentation separation means the app catalog the data, index it, but do not touch it (like plex, jellyfin, Media center, or any other digital media library),

you are trying to justify an approach that messes the user's data while you don't have to, there are other ways to bypass the problems caused by file names, but again - it is a small flaw that i can live with
dandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:46 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Save to disk is indeed an export. You can muck with the file names using various templates, embed metadata, create a directory structure, etc. However it is not meant to create a duplicate of the entire library so save that complaint for another day. Much like Save to device, it is intended to export part of a library for use elsewhere (for me, I use it to save files that I am going to copy to Dropbox).

Would I prefer that calibre use UTF filenames? Yes. Do I understand that in the time calibre has been around, there have been quite a few operating systems that calibre ran on and that did not support UTF filenames? Yes.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-29-2024 at 10:59 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, calibre, filename