Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-27-2023, 11:31 PM   #1
Dithorba
Dithorba began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Calibre Not Communicating with Nook Glowlight 4 Plus

Hello, I thought to make my own dedicated post.

I'm having serious trouble getting Calibre to recognize my Nook. When I first got it, it was perfectly fine. I was able to transfer files into my Nook without any issues. But after my Nook got its first update, it no longer communicates with Calibre. I updated my Calibre, and that did not solve the problem.

I was suggested to remove the files "driveinfo.calibre" and "metadata.calibre" in my Nook. But those files do not exist within my Nook.

This is the error message Calibre gives upon failure to communicate.

calibre, version 6.27.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:710:Cannot write to file:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 556, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 229, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 202, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in _update_drive_info
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 162, in put_calibre_file
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 444, in put_file
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:710:Cannot write to file:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

I'm truly at a loss for what to do, and I'd appreciate any help.
Dithorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:10 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try #3 resetting the device. And can you create files in the root f the device manually using windows explorer to copy paste some file?
Old 09-28-2023, 12:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually the Glowlight 2016 also had this issue where it would nto allow writing files into the root. On the assumption that the Glowlight 2023 has the same issue, here is a fix: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...f92b0162dff931
Old 09-28-2023, 12:26 AM   #5
Dithorba
Dithorba began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually the Glowlight 2016 also had this issue where it would nto allow writing files into the root. On the assumption that the Glowlight 2023 has the same issue, here is a fix: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...f92b0162dff931

For those files, where exactly do I put them in?
Dithorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:03 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithorba View Post
For those files, where exactly do I put them in?
wait for the next calibre release
Old 12-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
jkstkr
jkstkr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Plus BNRV1300
Quote:
wait for the next calibre release
So I have been looking around, and it seems like the fact that the 2023 nook 7.8 device has a nested 'partition' (?) where the first device is the bnrv1300, then the next one is "internal storage device" and THAT is where the nook folder is located, and causes the issue where calibre is not able to communicate with the device.. im guessing this is something that calibre wont be able to bypass, as it probably is purposely implemented by B&N to prevent calibre use? Super disappointing if thats the case.. i can drop my whole calibre folder into that folder, and it populates on the nook immediately but without using the calibre metadata, so all my covers are gone, and no details.. I love how simple bare bones nook devices are, but jesus im tired of all these companies fighting personal ownership of our own files. *sigh*

EDIT: my nook is fully updated, and my calibre is 7.1.0 on windows 10.

if there is a way to root the new 2023 7.8 nook to make it work, im all ears guys

Last edited by jkstkr; 12-03-2023 at 06:31 PM.
jkstkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:15 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Are you saying its not possible to copy files into the NOOK folder either?
Old 12-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #9
jkstkr

Quote:
Are you saying its not possible to copy files into the NOOK folder either?
No sir, I can drag and drop individual files, or folders into the nook folder just fine with windows explorer, I am suggesting that the glowlight plus 2023 is partitioned in a way that prevents calibre from accessing the nook folder because the "NOOK" folder is NOT in the root folder of the device.

I think it is possible the actual root folder is not accessible at all?

it is strange to me that calibre recognizes the nook glowlight 4 plus 2023, but it cannot communicate, nor can it send files because it "cannot communicate." i even tried changing the "root device folder" for the nook to the actual windows explorer address for the "NOOK" folder and that didnt work either.

- device shows up as usb storage named BNRV1300
- clicking to open the device only has another device inside named Internal Shared Storage
- Inside the "internal shared storage is the Nook folder.
- adding personal epub files to this folder (BNRV1300>Internal Shared Storage>NOOK) will add the epub to the device as a "FILE" not as a book.
-sideloading this way does not bring the current metadata or the chosen book cover from calibre, and reverts to text or auto-covers.
(edit: When i drag and drop individual epub files into the nook folder, I am dragging them directly from my calibre folder on my windows pc)

I hope this info helps you to help me, the needful, Mr. Kovid. I appreciate your work and time! I also help this expanded context and info helps other people who might be looking into this issue see that there are people discussing it.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:45 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dont use windows so hard for me to know what that means. I would image BNrv1300 is the device name and internal storage is the storage on the device, so that sounds normal to me. Was it different with earlier nooks?
Old 12-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #11
jkstkr

Quote:
I dont use windows so hard for me to know what that means. I would image BNrv1300 is the device name and internal storage is the storage on the device, so that sounds normal to me. Was it different with earlier nooks?
The last nook I had was a nook simple touch with glowlight, it initially had some issues with sideloading books, but after they stopped supporting it, i noticed zero issues with calibre and all sideloaded books appeared in my library as they appeared in my calibre library. the bnrv1300 seems to be setup in a way that calibre cant access the root folder?

for the record, I am getting the same error as the OP:
calibre, version 7.1.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 558, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 229, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 202, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in _update_drive_info
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 161, in put_calibre_file
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 414, in ensure_parent
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 409, in create_folder
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

-When i go into the developer options on the nook device, MTP is the only option available for file transfer.

Calibre is such a wonderful piece of software, I love what i can do with my library of ebooks, its a shame manufacturers try so hard to prevent users from using their devices in any way other than using their designated book store

would you have any suggestions on where i could find information on how to make any changes/adjustments to my books in calibre, permanent and attributed to the .epub file so that in my case, i can drag and drop the calibre files on to the nook, and the metadata and book covers i chose will always be the default info for my files?
Old 12-04-2023, 10:12 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

After that change i linked ot earlier calibre should no longer be trying to put any files in the root anyway. And if you want to embed metadata/covers in EPUB inside the calibre library use the Polish books tool which you can add to the calibre toolbar via Preferences->Toolbars & menus.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:45 AM   #13
jkstkr

The polish feature was exactly what I was looking for in that regard! Thank you! Ill keep attempting to locate my nook issues, but for the time being the polish feature will be more than adequate!

thanks for your help and time!