Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 10-10-2022, 02:59 PM   #1
Jahlon
Jahlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Reading vs. downloading?

When access my content server through my web browser and select a book, and click "read" (not "download") I noticed it says it is downloading the book for offline reading, and then on the home page each book is now listed under "downloaded books". Two questions:

1. Is there a way to disable downloading for offline reading, so that the book only gets downloaded when I click "download"?

2. Where is the location where the books get downloaded? (On Windows, Android, and Kindle Fire). I'd at least like to know where these are getting stored...

Thanks!
Jahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. no

2. in your browsers indexeddb storage
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:45 AM   #3
Jahlon
Jahlon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
1. no

So how do I access books offline after downloading? When I read a book on my phone so it is downloaded for offline reading, but then turn off the internet, I can't navigate to my Calibre server url.
Jahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Leave the window open in the background. And you will be able to read the entire book, even without internet connection. Sadly because the idiot browser manufacturers dont allow caching of webpages without https any more, the server itself cannot be accessed offline.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:12 AM   #5
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahlon View Post
So how do I access books offline after downloading? When I read a book on my phone so it is downloaded for offline reading, but then turn off the internet, I can't navigate to my Calibre server url.
If you are on Android, you can try Fully Kiosk Browser, which supports caching. I'm relying on it now.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:18 AM   #6
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
1. no

@KovidGoyal,

Do these books (read online but not specifically Downloaded) stay in storage unless acted upon by the user? I know there is a trash option, but I think that's only for specifically "Downloaded" books.
I have some large books due to the inclusion of graphics, so I need to know the effect on devices with little storage.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:43 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

indexxeddb storage is managed automatically by your browser it will evict least recently used data when running out of space.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:44 AM   #8
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed, the browser's IndexedDB storage works as a temporary cache that is managed automatically. This means that while you can't specifically choose which books to keep or remove, the browser will usually maintain the data of recently accessed books while discarding older data when storage space becomes limited.

If you're worried about storage space, one way to manage this might be to manually clear your browser cache periodically. However, remember that this would also remove all cached books, and you'd have to redownload them for offline reading.

Also, as @nqk suggested, using an alternative browser like Fully Kiosk that supports caching could be a beneficial workaround for reading offline.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downloading, offline reading