Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-29-2023, 05:19 PM   #1
annako
annako began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil can't open on Mac (txz keeps converting to cpgz and back)

Hi there,
I downloaded Sigil for Mac (my Mac OS is High Sierra Ver 10.13.6). It comes as a txz file, but when I try to open it, it duplicates itself as a cpgz file. When I click on the cpgz file, it converts back to a txz file. Trying to unzip it via the Terminal (using either txz or cpgz file) brings up this error:

Code:
Archive:  /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz or
        /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz.zip, and cannot find /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz.ZIP, period.
Users-MacBook-Air:~ guestacc$ codesign -dvvv Sigil.app
Sigil.app: No such file or directory
Users-MacBook-Air:~ guestacc$ unzip /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz.cpgz 
Archive:  /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz.cpgz
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz.cpgz or
        /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz.cpgz.zip, and cannot find /Users/guestacc/Downloads/Sigil.app-1.9.30-Mac.txz.cpgz.ZIP, period.
How should I install Sigil? I've already tried redownloading it from the main Sigil site 5 times to no avail.
annako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:54 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Your macOS version is old and does not properly support the xz compression. A .txz (ie. .tar.xz) is not a zip archive. You need a more recent unarchive program. A free more recent one is called The Unarchiver available from the mac app store.

See this post for more info:

https://sigil-ebook.com/sigil/tips/#...z-or-txz-files

Last edited by KevinH; 03-29-2023 at 07:04 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
annako
annako began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Your macOS version is old and does not properly support the xz compression. A .txz (ie. .tar.xz) is not a zip archive. You need a more recent unarchive program. A free more recent one is called The Unarchiver available from the mac app store.

See this post for more info:

https://sigil-ebook.com/sigil/tips/#...z-or-txz-files
It works! Thank you so much for your fast response. I'm able to open the program and start checking my epubs.
annako is offline   Reply With Quote