Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #91
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
After you've booted PW3 into diagnostics you can overwrite existing firmware version with whatever older firmware version you want (while keeping in mind that 5.6.5 was the factory firmware for PW3)
Thanks! Anywhere you can point to to some directions on this? Is this something that will require messing with via serial?
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:50 AM   #92
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
For PW3 with a jailbreak you have an option to install Rescue Pack and Coward's Rescue Pack (you need BOTH, CRP is an "addon" on top of RP, so first install RP then CRP) and then you can boot into diagnostics mode without needing serial connection: you just connect the Kindle to charge and select restart option in Kindle UI and it will boot into diagnostics.

That is the "Coward's Rescue Pack" functionality: check if device is charging on restart / reboot if it is boot into diagnostics instead of booting into main OS, if not charging boot into main OS.
It is a nice safety blanket I wish I had on my PW5 that I've managed to brick. Unlike PW3 PW5 doesn't have diagnostics (RP & CRP aren't compatible with newer Kindle models) and also doesn't have serial (at least not on a production board OR not in the same place like on the photos from FCC) points.

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-13-2022 at 10:00 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:44 PM   #93
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
For PW3 with a jailbreak you have an option to install Rescue Pack and Coward's Rescue Pack (you need BOTH, CRP is an "addon" on top of RP, so first install RP then CRP) and then you can boot into diagnostics mode without needing serial connection: you just connect the Kindle to charge and select restart option in Kindle UI and it will boot into diagnostics.

That is the "Coward's Rescue Pack" functionality: check if device is charging on restart / reboot if it is boot into diagnostics instead of booting into main OS, if not charging boot into main OS.
It is a nice safety blanket I wish I had on my PW5 that I've managed to brick. Unlike PW3 PW5 doesn't have diagnostics (RP & CRP aren't compatible with newer Kindle models) and also doesn't have serial (at least not on a production board OR not in the same place like on the photos from FCC) points.
Thanks, I'll give this a try when I get a chance this weekend. If I can downgrade my PW3 then I can still use it (still hate the new UI).
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #94
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
You could maybe try this new downgrade approach, instead of the old diagnostics + using "dd" commands:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346784

If I were you I would still before trying any of the downgrade methods first make sure that I have functional boot to diagnostics and tested SSH connection between Kindle and the computer.

If I were to try using this new method of tricking the Kindle to install older firmware bin I would definitely first do a factory reset while still on newer firmware and then do the downgrade.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade firmware, firmware downgrade