Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 06-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Boyue Lifebook MTP and Linux Mint with Mate

MTP is horrible compared to USB Mass Storage. Only one host application can use it over USB at a time.
On Gnome and Cinnamon you can disable automount, so you click on a drive to mount and use filemanager.

But Disabling Automount doesn't disable USB MTP on Mate Desktop, using Caja.
I can unmount my Lenovo Tablet and Alcatel phone etc, and then Calibre loads them. But you can't remount the Mars without unplugging it! Then of course the FileSystem grabs it again.
Some of my gadgets use USB Mass Storage Mode, not MTP.

I found a solution!
0) Do NOT connect the ereader yet!
1) Open System Monitor (can be available via right click just in front of where running windows are listed on a Panel, or via Menu.
2) Select Processes Tab.
3) Scroll down and find "gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor" (clue in name!)
4) Right click and select Stop. Killing is temporary as it will restart.
5) Plug in Mars (or other MTP USB gadget)
6) Run Calibre. It may be slow the FIRST time. Make sure all books on device are in the library and subsequent times it's about as fast as a Kobo H2O original, far faster than Filemanager mode.
7) Either selecting Eject or closing Calibre will end the transfer mode.

Only need to re-enable "gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor" if you need an MTP device in the file manager or for file access. Some Media players that can copy mp3 files can use MTP like Calibre does and will work better in MTP mode than File mode. It will restart at next boot anyway.

Only ONE application can use MTP directly.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
When I connect my Android devices to Calibre, I use Calibre Companion with the wireless device connection.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But that's extra complexity, power consumption, wireless and is CC even supported?
I almost never need to use a charger as I leave the ereader connected while working.

The solution is for people that prefer to use the USB cable. None of my other ereaders can use CC anyway (Kindles, Sony, Kobos etc). I do all proof reading on the Kobo Libra. This solution charges the Mars and lets me use exactly the same work flow as all the other devices.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
None of my other ereaders can use CC anyway (Kindles, Sony, Kobos etc).
Mine are all safely stored on a basement shelf.
I don't use them anymore.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I have to test ebooks on them and the Mars is frankly garbage for reading perfectly formatted epubs or proofread & annotation of a new draft. I use the Kobo for the proof-annotate-edit cycle with Kobo Utilities. Also Collections, Series, Author all work on the Kobo. Browsing or searching content on the Mars is dreadful.
Plus features:
1) Built in PDF reader with auto-crop, watermark/background removal is good, hardly need to use 10" tablet.
2) Ability to have Google Play Books, BorrowBox (local County Libraries), Kindle app, Kobo app all on one eink without having to fiddle with DRM. Though I remove DRM from Kindle books and read them on the Kobo. DRM is immoral and NOTHING to do with Copyright. I respect copyright. I only share PD works.
3) KOReader is good to over-ride bad CSS/HTML epub. I keep the Kobo as per stock, no patches or KOReader. Not even kepub.
4) K9 real Email client (mostly emails to do with the library).
5) Jota text editor with touch keys or real BT keyboard.
6) Size. Nearly as big as a Forma, 7.8", but about €50 cheaper.

Anyway the point is there is a bug in Mars MTP, when you unmount MTP used by the Filesystem, you can't access it again without unplugging. So a method was needed for the Mate Desktop of Linux Mint to disable automount of MTP devices into the Filesystem.

Other people are free to eject SD card, or use Calibre Companion. I wanted the MTP to work with Calibre or ANY application that uses MTP, not just have slower Filesystem mounting.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #6
Heiderose
Heiderose began at the beginning.

Device: PB 623
Thank you!!!!
Heiderose is offline   Reply With Quote