Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
MrBear
MrBear began at the beginning.

Device: read on android phone using kindle and kobo apps
Issues with Metadata download and editing of comments.

I did a bug report and was told that this is not an issue with Calibre as there have been no changes to metadata editing or download for some time, but my issue is this.
I am able to add a new book file to Calibre no problem. I can even covert it to a different file format no problem. but when I try to download metadata, I start having problems. First off, Calibre use to do the process of metadata download very quickly. Now it can take several minutes before I will get any results when I use the "Download metadata" button in the "Edit metadata" window.
More often than not I no longer get any results for Amazon. I know that Amazon actively works against calibre for their own stupid dumb-ass reason, so that is not what I am really having an issue with. If I get a result listing Amazon, it is just a link to the web page of the book in question. Nothing else. A fair number of times I do this process, I get a message that the application is not responding and eventually Calibre will crash. If it works and I get a link (to any site, not just Amazon) I can follow to a site with metadata, and I click "OK" to download it, I will get a text copy of the entire page downloaded to the comments section.
When I say entire, I mean everything on the source page is transferred to the comments section including ad links and suggested works for different authors and all the site links down at the very bottom of the page. But that's not all. I find that the information has been duplicated at least three times. If I go to delete all the stuff I don't want in the comments section, it doesn't delete after saving, it just creates more duplicates. Even if I manually type something in, it is duplicated when I hit OK (save). The only way to get rid of all the clutter in the comments section is to delete the entire book and add it again without doing anything to add metadata or book information in the comments section. That defeats the whole purpose of why I started using Calibre. If all I wanted was a list of books I own, then I could have uses a simple text file.

When I placed the bug report, this is the response I got:

There have been no changes to metadata download in calibre in many years
(beyond updates to individual plugins to adapt to changes in the source
websites).

You symptoms sound like something is blocking calibre. The typical culprits are
anti-virus and or firewall programs. You can try rebooting in safe mode
(with networking) to confirm. Or simply add exceptions for calibre.exe
to your firewall/antivirus.

status invalid

** Changed in: calibre

I am not trying to be negative at all to the Mr. Goyal. In fact I have a great amount of respect for him and the others who work so hard to make this tool such a valuable asset for serious book owners. He was lightning quick to respond to my bug report. If anything, I probably did a poor job of describing the issue. I am not technically minded so I'm worried that I am not making much sense when describing the problems I have experiencing. He did offer up a possible solution, but I am an old man who really doesn't understand the workings of a computer, no mater how hard I try. What he suggested might as well have been a foreign language to me. Is there a patient person out there who can help me understand what is happening and how to do what Mr. Goyal suggested?
I can tell you this. I went form v5.29 to 5.31.1 skipping over 5.30. I don't remember if the issue started with 5.29 but there was an noticeable slowdown before all the other issues cropped up. Other than installing 5.31.1 there have been no changes made to my computer that I am aware of.

Calibre V5.31.1 Windows 10 I don't know what other info might be useful.
MrBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Well Mr Bear
The reply is valid. There were no changes in Calibre.

So
Which Amazon are you configured for (country). (configure the Amazon Metadata plugin)

Does your Country have a firewall that limits outside access?
What is the ASIN (or any Amazon #) for the title that is in the metadata editor
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:43 PM   #3
MrBear

Hey theducks. Thanks for taking an interest. I appreciate your time. I really have no doubt that Mr. Goyal is giving me valid information, I just don't know how to use it as my nephew was the one who set up my firewall and other protections. Sadly, he's no longer around to help me and what little I think I understand, I couldn't reconcile it with a firewall setting. I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

To answer your questions: It is set to default which is in my case U.S. as are the settings I use for Kobo and Smashwords. They are the only sources I rely on for metadata. What I will describe below will happen with any book I try to do this process for regardless if I purchased it from Amazon, Kobo, or Smashwords, or if I acquired it as part of a promotional give away.

One of the books I have been trying to fill in data and comments for is

A History of What Comes Next by Sylvain Neuvel.

It was a free give away from Tor.com. There is no ASIN number assign with the epub file I downloaded from their site. I added it to Calibre with no problem. I then converted it to mobi with no problem. When I open "Edit metadata" from the menu across the top of the main screen and then click "Download metadata" at the bottom of the window that opens, the following happens with some variation depending on if Calibre crashes, or how many results I get for links to select form.

I am able to get a link to Kobo as well as an ISBN link and one to Google books.

I get a second listing and a link to Amazon for ebook ASIN B0879GLMQ9.

A third link for a sneak-peak that gives me a Kobo link and another ISBN link.
Spoiler:

the fourth offering is a link to a UK edition with a google link and yet another ISBN link. I will say of all the times I tried to successfully download metadata and have it auto fill error free, this is the first time I have had 4 options to get metadata.

Looking at the different listings is no easy feat. I will get a spinning symbol and a "not responding" message for several tens of seconds up to a handful of minutes before calibre will either crash or I get to look at the next offering for a link to metadata.

I have tried and I am unable to insert a screen shot of what I am seeing. but here is what is auto-filled into comments when I download from Kobo.

The IDs that auto fill are:isbn:9781250262059, google:xszdDwAAQBAJ, kobo:a-history-of-what-comes-next
I will delete these as I did not get the book from those sources.

“A History of What Comes Next is a riveting blend of historical thriller and scientific speculation, which never loses its core of humanity.”—James Rollins, #1 New York Times bestselling author
For generations, Mia’s family has shaped human history to push them to the stars. The year is 1945 and now it is her turn. Her mission: to lure scientist Wernher Von Braun away from the Nazi party and into the American rocket program, securing the future of the space race.
But there is a threat.
A ruthless enemy lurks behind the scenes.
Sylvain Neuvel’s genre-bending sci-fi thriller is a dark and gripping exploration of the amorality of progress and the nature of violence, as seen through the eyes of the women who make that progress possible and the men who are determined to stop them.
Always run, never fight.
Preserve the knowledge.
Survive at all costs.
Take them to the stars.
At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
In this series
 Book 2

Preview Now
Preview saved
Save Preview
View Synopsis
#1829 in Science Fiction & Fantasy, Science Fiction, Adventure
#3367 in Science Fiction & Fantasy, Science Fiction
Buy the eBook
Your price
$12.99 USD
Add to cart Buy Now Add to Wishlist Remove from Wishlist
eBooks
Books related to A History of What Comes Next
Skip this list
eBooks
More by Sylvain Neuvel
Skip this list
Ratings and Book Reviews ( 1 10 star ratings
1 reviews )
Overall rating
4.2 out of 5
5 Stars
4 reviews have 5 stars
4 Stars
4 reviews have 4 stars
3 Stars
2 reviews have 3 stars
2 Stars
0 reviews have 2 stars
1 Star
0 reviews have 1 stars
Share your thoughts Write your review
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
Complete your review
All Book Reviews
Filter by
All 0
5 Stars 5
4 Stars 4
3 Stars 3
2 Stars 2
1 Star 1
Sort By
Most Helpful 0
Newest 2
Oldest 3
Highest Rated 1
Lowest Rated 4
Blasts off on page one and just keeps going!
Sylvain Neuvel proves once again he deserves the title of the hottest new SF writer of the 21st century — and this time he does it by looking back at the storied development of rocketry in the 20th. Clever and compelling, with a succession of kick-ass heroines propelling events along via mayhem and murder behind the scenes, A History of What Comes Next blasts off on page one and will keep you enthralled until the end. —Robert J. Sawyer, Hugo Award-winning author of The Oppenheimer Alternative
… Show more Show less
by Robert J. Sawyer on February 13, 2021
Was this helpful to you?
Yes No
Thanks for your feedback! Report as inappropriate
0 person found this review helpful
0 people found this review helpful
0 of 0 people found this review helpful
Close

A History of What Comes Next
by Sylvain Neuvel
Take Them to the Stars (Book 1)
Share your thoughts
Complete your review
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book. Rate it *
You Rated it *
1 Star - I hated it 2 Stars - I didn't like it 3 Stars - It was OK 4 Stars - I liked it 5 Stars - I loved it
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review * Required Review *
How to write a great review
Do
Say what you liked best and least
Describe the author's style
Explain the rating you gave
Don't
Use rude and profane language
Include any personal information
Mention spoilers or the book's price
Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long. Title *
The title should be at least 4 characters long. Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long. Cancel Submit
Close
Report a review
At Kobo, we try to ensure that published reviews do not contain rude or profane language, spoilers, or any of our reviewer's personal information.
Would you like us to take another look at this review? No, cancel Yes, report it
Thanks!
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback. OK, close
Close

A History of What Comes Next
by Sylvain Neuvel
Take Them to the Stars (Book 1)
Thanks for Sharing!
You submitted the following rating and review. We'll publish them on our site once we've reviewed them.
Ratings
by on November 10, 2021 OK, close
Write your review
eBook Details
Tom Doherty Associates
Release Date: February 2, 2021
Imprint: Tordotcom
ISBN: 9781250262059
Language: English
Download options: EPUB 3 (DRM-Free)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices:
DESKTOP
eREADERS
IOS
ANDROID
TABLETS

All about Rakuten Kobo All about Rakuten Kobo
About Rakuten Kobo
Management Team
Kobo in Conversation Podcast
eRecycling Program
Free Apps
Buy eGift Cards
Get Help
Sitemap
Opportunities Opportunities
Self Publish
Affiliates
Student Discount Program
Job Openings
Corporate Purchasing
Latest Blog Posts Latest Blog Posts
Jesse Wente: storyteller and truth-seeker
39 new eBooks and audiobooks coming out Novemb...
Science journalist Michael Specter on writing ...
Edward Rutherfurd on the endurance of human na...
Rakuten Kobo expands digital reading offering ...
View all posts
Stay Connected Stay Connected

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

YouTube

Instagram
Get the Free App Get the Free App

Accepted Payment Methods
Accepted Payment Methods: 
Now Shopping:  United States (USD)
Change country
© 2021 Rakuten Kobo Inc. © 2021 Rakuten Kobo Inc.
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Rakuten, global innovation & entertainment partner of FC Barcelona
Rakuten Viki
Rakuten Viber
Rakuten Global Market
Rakuten Travel
More Services
About Rakuten

***** if I just clicked OK at this point, this would be auto filled in comments three times.

Then to delete all the extra stuff I don't want, I have to go through another round of "not responding" so I can highlight a section of text to delete. I cannot delete everything at once as it will not let me scroll up and highlight at the same time unless I sit still holding the mouse button while I wait for the "not responding to clear and then I scroll up a little bit more before it stops responding again. so when I finally get all the extra deleted and I click OK to save, this is what I get in my Comment section:

For generations, Mia’s family has shaped human history to push them to the stars. The year is 1945 and now it is her turn. Her mission: to lure scientist Wernher Von Braun away from the Nazi party and into the American rocket program, securing the future of the space race.
But there is a threat.
Sylvain Neuvel’s genre-bending sci-fi thriller is a dark and gripping exploration of the amorality of progress and the nature of violence, as seen through the eyes of the women who make that progress possible and the men who are determined to stop them.
Always run, never fight.
Preserve the knowledge.
Survive at all costs.
Take them to the stars.

But there is a threat.
Always run, never fight.
Preserve the knowledge.
Survive at all costs.
Take them to the stars.

Always run, never fight.
Preserve the knowledge.
Survive at all costs.
Take them to the stars.

Always run, never fight.
Preserve the knowledge.
Survive at all costs.
Take them to the stars.

If I try to modify or delete again, I get more sets of multiple copies.The only way to clear it is to delete the entire file from Calibre. The same thing will happen no matter which source I use to get metadata from.

So you see, it isn't so much that information is being blocked by a firewall or an ant-virus program. At least it would seem that way to me, but what do I know? Not much with regard to this issue. What I know is that for the longest time I have used calibre with no problems and have wholeheartedly recommended it to anyone and everyone who I think might benefit from using it, so I don't understand what is causing it to act up now. I am not one who goes in and tweaks settings and in fact, I hardly install plug-ins because I'm not even sure I understand what they do half the time.

So there you have it. I hope I was able to clearly describe what is happening and the steps I go through to try to get it corrected. I would love it if someone out there had dealt with this before and could say, "Oh yeah. Easy fix. Just click..."

Last edited by theducks; 11-11-2021 at 04:08 AM. Reason: spoilered
Old 11-11-2021, 04:19 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please use Spoiler tags around log files (the red eye in the advanced editor)

Why delete Valid ID's?
They give you more chances to get metadata as not all sites have a full set.
(you can configure sites to which fields to allow, while leaving the source enabled. You can also prioritize cover sources)
A FREE Tor book would not necessarily be found at Amazon (another reason for multiple Sources being enabled)

My Firewall question was more about your Internet Provider connection to other parts of the world (Some do not allow their citizens full access). I think you updated your profile to include your state.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #5
MrBear

Thanks for the info on using spoilers to hide long useless to most info.

The reason why I would delete the IDs is because they are auto-filled by downloading metadata and they are not useful to me because none of them are the source of where I got the book. When I get a book from a non standard source such as TOR.com in this case, I will manually enter a note in the comments section after the book description and/or blurb. As a rule I tend to favor Amazon's metadata as my standard for page count based of of paperback edition and published dates, and other info even if I purchased the book elsewhere. I will still list the ID of the where I purchased the book even if I use Amazon metadata. This is all stuff I deal with after metadata is downloaded.

I think we are getting away from the issue I started this thread for.

#1 There is something causing a significant slowdown or crashing of Calibre when using the Download Metadata button in the Edit Metadata window. You and Mr. Goyal suggest it is a firewall issue. How do I verify that?

#2 Downloading metadata at all isn't the issue. It is getting a valid lisit of sources and getting Calibre to behave when downloading. When I do get links to download metadata from my normal sources, multiple copies of the entire web page from the source site are downloaded to the comment section. Attempts to edit that info results in more copies begin added to the Comments section. How is this related to a firewall issue? I dunno because I am not knowledgeable in the area.

I wish we lived in a world were people I've never met could be trusted to give access to my computer so I could say, "Here, log in so you can see what I am talking about." While I may be dumb from time to time, my nephew made sure I wasn't stupid enough to do that. You just can't trust Nigerian Princes like you used to back in the day.

Once again I ask, because I don't know: Why would a firewall that has been working very well with Calibre for years suddenly be a problem and how would the firewall cause multiples of information to be downloaded and auto-filled into a section of the Calibre interface? (Did I use that word correctly?)

No other function of calibre seems to be affect to my knowledge. I have not noticed any other issue or malfunctions with my computer since this started, other than for a few hours this thread was not visible to me in the forums page, but it is now, so I dunno what happened there. Maybe I'm one of those people who is doomed to never know the true potential of technology because it hates me. That and it intimidates the hell out of me.

Anyway, I await any ideas or suggestion that might come to someone's mind.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@MrBear: Can you post the log from doing a metadata download? This should let us see something about what is happening when you do the download. You can do this by clicking the "View log" button at the bottom of the window when the results are shown and then the "Copy to clipboard" button on the next dialog. When you paste it here, make sure you wrap code tags around it to let it format as plain text.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Mr Bear
FWIW I can't remember the last time I manged to get Calibre to crash (W10 x64) and I use it every day.
Something is not right (or friendly) on your rig.
FWIW I use the Standard Windows Defender
Old 11-13-2021, 03:45 AM   #8
MrBear

As of about 10 minutes prior to the time of this posting, I installed v5.32

All issues appear to have been corrected with this update. Retrieving metadata from various sites is a breeze once again and information auto-filled into comments in no longer being duplicated multiple times.

@Davidfor. Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate you willing to offer a hand.

@theducks. Thank you to you as well for offering up some of your valuable time.

In the end, I guess all it took was an update for the problem to be resolved. Or at least it appears to at this moment. I will be spending some time Saturday afternoon and evening, U.S. east coast time, adding some books from various sources to Calibre so we shall see what if anything goes wrong.

Gotta love a community willing to lend a hand. And I definitely love Calibre and all that I am able to do with it. For me it isn't nearly as much as many of you, but I am extremely happy with what it does for me. Best donation I made in my life.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:36 PM   #9
MrBear

Further update

13 books added to Calibre today. Aside from a few hiccups that I suspect were on the Amazon side of things, all were easily populated with metadata from various sources and book information properly filling the comments section.

Whatever the problem was, v5.32 has rectified it.

Tags
crashes, download, duplicate information, metadata comments