Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrsmith View Post
My iPad mini 2 has iOS 12.5.2.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I'll check on the library website regarding Overdrive/Libby. I appreciate the prompt and helpful responses.
Great - if your library has Overdrive you should be all set. The Libby app site says it is compatible with iOS 9+.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The tools do not strip DRM if it is borrowed from library. It is not legal anywhere to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The tools do strip DRM from borrowed library books.
Quote:
The wording used to be something like "removal of DRM from library books is not supported", and yet they worked on removing DRM from library books.

tomsem, did you personally try it (removing DRM from an ADE DRM'd library book)?
tomsem, have you tried it yet?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
The wording used to be something like "removal of DRM from library books is not supported", and yet they worked on removing DRM from library books.

tomsem, did you personally try it (removing DRM from an ADE DRM'd library book)?
The wording is the same. Why would I try it? I actually not even curious if it ‘works’ or not. It is stealing.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-07-2021 at 04:09 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The wording is the same. Why would I try it? I actually not even curious if it ‘works’ or not. It is stealing.
You made the statement:

Quote:
The tools do not strip DRM if it is borrowed from library. ...
Which I believe is not true. From past trials, tools do strip DRM from library books. Some consider misinformation unethical.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The statement was my understanding based on what the FAQ says. How is this misinformation on my part?

Really, it will be best to leave the question unsettled.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-07-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The statement was my understanding based on what the FAQ says. How is this misinformation on my part?
Thank you for the clarification. So hopefully everyone follows the whole thread so they know how inaccurate your innitial post/ understanding is.

Quote:
Really, it will be best to leave the question unsettled lest we violate policy here.
What question? DRM can be stripped from library books. Seems like you want to remain ignorant and spread misinformation.

Also, I quoted a moderator on the subject. DRM can be stripped from library books. How about that, no moderator lightning bolts.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
DRM can be stripped from Overdrive ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. So hopefully everyone follows the whole thread so they know how inaccurate your innitial post/ understanding is.

What question? DRM can be stripped from library books. Seems like you want to remain ignorant and spread misinformation.

Also, I quoted a moderator on the subject. DRM can be stripped from library books. How about that, no moderator lightning bolts.
None of this changes the fact that doing so is unethical and illegal (do you disagree with this?).

That was the only point I wanted to make in response to someone’s suggestion that ‘you can strip the DRM’.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-08-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
None of this changes the fact that doing so is unethical and illegal (do you disagree with this?).

That was the only point I wanted to make in response to someone’s suggestion that ‘you can strip the DRM’.
I don't know the laws of where the OP is posting from, so don't know if it is illegal or legal.

As far as ethical, I believe you are confusing your opinion with a fact. Since the OP is the one having the problem, I will let the OP decide.

And none of the ethics/legality stuff changes the fact that it is technically possible to strip DRM from overdrive EPub library books, as JSWolf has confirmed.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know the laws of where the OP is posting from, so don't know if it is illegal or legal.

As far as ethical, I believe you are confusing your opinion with a fact. Since the OP is the one having the problem, I will let the OP decide.

And none of the ethics/legality stuff changes the fact that it is technically possible to strip DRM from overdrive EPub library books, as JSWolf has confirmed.
FWIW, I accept the fact that it is possible.

Yes, my opinion is that it is unethical. Would you care to share your opinion?

As for legality, it’s probably moot. I don’t think there is anyone in the FBI trying to track down people who may be doing this.

OTOH someone doing this would be unwise to inform Adobe or Overdrive or the library they are borrowing from about it.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
FWIW, I accept the fact that it is possible.

Yes, my opinion is that it is unethical. Would you care to share your opinion?

As for legality, it’s probably moot. I don’t think there is anyone in the FBI trying to track down people who may be doing this.

OTOH someone doing this would be unwise to inform Adobe or Overdrive or the library they are borrowing from about it.
I do not think it is unethical for the OP's scenario.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:49 AM   #27
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I am considering alternative IOS ereader software (I currently use Mapleread). Does anyone know if Bluefire supports custom fonts? That is, downloading your own fonts onto the IPad and using them as the text font in epubs.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I am considering alternative IOS ereader software (I currently use Mapleread). Does anyone know if Bluefire supports custom fonts? That is, downloading your own fonts onto the IPad and using them as the text font in epubs.
No, it doesn’t.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that most eBook reading software for iOS/Android is rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote