Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #46
Hyphen-ated
-
Hyphen-ated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
More edit: I made a USB device that I can set to repeatedly do page downs at a specific rate.
At 3 page turns/second it seems that it wasn't running smoothly.
At 2 page turns/second it ran smoothly.
Wow, I just ran through Moby Dick, but my comprehension was poor.
That's awesome! It's sidestepping some important elements of what I care about testing, though. You're removing the need for the reader software to detect input from the user, right, which could be a significant source of delay? And also, my own testing shows that for my device there is a HUGE decrease of latency when mashing "next page" as fast as possible. I'm guessing the reader might go into some kind of mini-sleep mode when it has been sitting on the same page for a few seconds.
Hyphen-ated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #47
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen-ated View Post
Nah. My comparison is with reading text on my computer, which has something like 0.05s or less page turn delay for an epub.

Oh really! I looked at Koreader's list of features in the past and saw no claims about improved performance, which I figured would be a big deal they would want to brag about. I'll have to check it out.
It really depends on system EPD controller as we don't talk to eink directly on most devices. On devices that we race against system controller we win by a huge margin so we introduce delays to let the system driver finish its job before us to prevent artifacts: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...id.lua#L37-L39

That says little about our own loop and a lot about how these devices weren't designed for fast page turns.

Even on serious devices where we talk to the EPD using ioctls there's nothing to brag about it. Requesting a refresh takes a fixed amount of time (which varies depending on the waveform, the mode, the region of the screen to refresh, what's actually on screen...). If we're fast or not depends on what happens before the ioctl is triggered.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #48
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Even on serious devices where we talk to the EPD using ioctls there's nothing to brag about it.
Supposing it reduces the latency on some devices from 2s to 1s, that would be extremely bragworthy
Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #49
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
It's sidestepping some important elements of what I care about testing, though.
Well, the command from hardware button, finger tap, finger swipe, console command to key injector, USB key or Bluetooth key really only takes a few milliseconds, which is small compared to what we're looking for.
The ADB input command is slow and not worthy of our consideration because it spins up a Java for the trivial task of injecting an input.
I have wired up stick-on foil and a diode pair and driver to simulate a capacitive finger touch before also. (I even still found it on my desk.)

Most (all?) ereader apps load/compose/whatever the next page while you are reading the current page.
That is a reason why repetitive page flipping could run into limits and actually be slower.
For a modern device to "wake up" by goosing the CPU governor doesn't take any time.

The next time I have to pop open my Poke3 I'll take some measurements like the Glow3, 4 above.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:28 AM   #50
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Well, the command from hardware button, finger tap, finger swipe, console command to key injector, USB key or Bluetooth key really only takes a few milliseconds
How do you know that this is the case for all devices? It SHOULD only take a few milliseconds, but nothing stops the software on any reader from being badly written and wasting an arbitrarily large amount of time here. I want to test real performance in real conditions and make as few assumptions as possible, ya feel me?

Quote:
That is a reason why repetitive page flipping could run into limits and actually be slower.
Oh interesting, the opposite of what I've experienced. I'll take some video of how fast flipping speeds up for me.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:41 AM   #51
Hyphen-ated
-

I did some tests with the Moby Dick epub.
Turning pages normally.
Average latency: 1.57s

Turning pages ASAP after the previous page turn.
Average latency: 0.80s

I realized a confounding factor: how long I keep my finger touching the screen makes a difference. So I did another test where I wait a longer amount of time between turns, but I keep the duration of my press as short as possible. I wasn't strictly controlling this in my previous tests. It might be best to measure from finger-up instead of finger-down in the future, but that makes it slightly harder to see the exact right frame. On the other hand, I don't want to have to fling my finger off the screen like this when actually reading -- measuring from when the finger hits the screen is the thing I truly care about. If there's a reader that doesn't add the duration of the finger press to the turn latency, that would be a relevant fact I'd want to know about it.
Average latency: 1.23s

So after eliminating the finger touch length discrepancy, going for another page turn as quickly as possible after the previous page turn reduces the delay for me by about 35%
Old 08-17-2021, 02:12 AM   #52
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Most (all?) ereader apps load/compose/whatever the next page while you are reading the current page.
For a modern device to "wake up" by goosing the CPU governor doesn't take any time.
On the elipsa I've noticed a definite difference in time when going from the last page of a chapter to first page of the next chapter; slower but not aggravatingly so, just noticeable. Maybe it only keeps one chapter at a time in memory?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:16 AM   #53
Hyphen-ated
-

Wow, KOReader rules.
Average latency: 0.58s (omitting the refreshes and the one missed touch)

That's more than twice as fast as the built-in reading software. The latency is basically tolerable now. Amazing. Now I just need to figure out how to make the rest of its UI behave in a way that I can stand.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #54
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Until you lift your finger, the device can't tell if you are going to swipe instead.
Yes, you could make areas of the screen work on touch down and forsake swipe there.

I have made tests with (electrical) touch, key injector, USB, BT and haven't noticed any difference.
On the oscilloscope you can easily see the amount of time thinking about an update and doing an update.

It looks like the stock software on the Kobo Aura HD doesn't prepare the next page in the background.

Another benchmark to check would be to read a bunch of pages forward, then go one page backwards and see if that is slower.
(I often flip a page back to check something.)
Old 08-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I did some tests with the Moby Dick epub.
Turning pages normally.
Average latency: 1.57s
Your Aura HD is really slow. I tested my H2O (1st gen) against your Aura HD using your video. When I tapped at the same time or slightly after, my page turned faster and I have more text on screen and I have hyphenation on.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-17-2021 at 03:55 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #56
Renate
Wizard

Another test to make would be to make the text as small as it goes. That would make the processing more complex but shouldn't make the actual updating any slower.
Then compare that with making the text enormous.

Edit: Hmm, on my reader the actual compose takes 125 mS irrespective of the font size being tiny or humongous.
Note: This is not a contributor to page turn times because it's already done before your finger hits the screen.

For readers that do an actual graphical compose in the background there should be zero difference.

Last edited by Renate; 08-17-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
On the elipsa I've noticed a definite difference in time when going from the last page of a chapter to first page of the next chapter; slower but not aggravatingly so, just noticeable. Maybe it only keeps one chapter at a time in memory?
Is it possible that you are set to do the full page refresh per chapter?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #58
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Until you lift your finger, the device can't tell if you are going to swipe instead.
Yes, you could make areas of the screen work on touch down and forsake swipe there.
You could also have it go "I have detected the beginning of a touch. This might end up being a tap or a swipe, so I'll speculatively start any work necessary to respond as quickly as possible once I know which it is"

Quote:
I have made tests with (electrical) touch, key injector, USB, BT and haven't noticed any difference.
On the oscilloscope you can easily see the amount of time thinking about an update and doing an update.
How many different devices have you tested with an oscilloscope in this way? Surely not all existing ereaders.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #59
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your Aura HD is really slow. I tested my H2O (1st gen) against your Aura HD using your video.When I tapped at the same time or slightly after, my page turned faster and I have more text on screen.
Unfortunately, "my page turned faster" is much less useful than actual numbers for anyone who wants to make purchasing decisions informed by page turn speed
Old 08-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Many epubs are generated with 1 *html file per chapter.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote