Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple Announces November 10 Event

According to MacRumors, Apple has announces a November 10 Event. Best guess it is to introduce the new Macs and/or Silicon Macs.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-02-2020 at 12:36 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

Given the One More Thing... theme, it seems like it will only involve a single product line. But I am hoping there’s a new AppleTV coming (e.g. the current ones do not support Spatial Audio). It would also be a good tie-in with HomePod mini, which is available Nov 16.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-02-2020 at 02:19 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Geosprouter
Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ipad Air 2
I think it involves ipad pro

and the new progressor chip.
Geosprouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since the event announcement does seem to imply one more thing, and since macOS 11 Big Sur has not yet been publicly released, my guess is this is going to be a Mac and Big Sur event. We might see the first Mac released with the new Apple processor. Big Sur was promised for a Fall release, so I think it will also be a part of this event.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-08-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Its about time they did something with Mac, the quiet updates are not what we have come to expect from them over the years. Also I noticed last time I was in the Apple Store, that Macs have been relegated to the side and back bench. Only one table with a couple of macbook/airs, and the side bench with an iMac and Mini with a screen. They didnt even have a Pro on display. But, our store is fairly minor in the grand scheme, I guess others may have Mac stuff more prominently displayed. It seemed to me, though, that Apple Life is all about iphone and ipad.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Mac sales are at all-time highs, e.g.:

https://www.imore.com/apple-says-mac...mac-sales-2020

Maybe this is due to coronavirus (people working and learning at home), but I think the rollout of Apple Silicon macs over the next couple of years will keep momentum going.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Mac sales are at all-time highs, e.g.:

https://www.imore.com/apple-says-mac...mac-sales-2020

Maybe this is due to coronavirus (people working and learning at home), but I think the rollout of Apple Silicon macs over the next couple of years will keep momentum going.
It's all about having the right tool for the job. It's a lot easier for me to type this on my mac that it would be on my iPad. I could do it on an iPad, and have, but using a mac is easier. It's easier to do things like spell check, to have multiple windows open at a time and a number of things.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I definitely agree with the "right tool" for the job. I rarely try to type much via my iPhone XR because using that tiny keypad with big arthritic hands is VERY frustrating. Typing on my iPads is better because of larger keypads, but still extremely slow and riddled with typos because quite frankly Apple has never de-quirked how it works. Too many quirks, too many touchpad related issues with trying to make selections, copy, paste, make corrections, et cetera. And if I’m typing in a forum like this one, I can barely see the text! I much prefer and need a computer keyboard for large amounts of keyboard types of input. I also need a computer for power hungry apps and many other tasks. The iPhone and iPad both are better than a computer at some tasks, but the computer is still an irreplaceable item for me, even in retirement.

Having said that, I tend to replace iPhone and iPads 2 to 3 times more often than my Mac computers, mostly because the iPhones and iPads are much cheaper and can more affordably be replaced every 3 or 4 years, whereas I'n still using a 2012 Mac mini and a 2014 MacBook Pro! I have no clue what the profit margins amount too over a decade, but I suspect Apple makes more money off of my iPhone and iPad purchases over the course of a decade than they do over my Mac purchases over that same decade.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-06-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure Apple makes a lot more on the iPhone and iPad than they do the Mac series.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro and a slightly older iMac and no plans to upgrade them anytime soon. It would be nice to have a larger internal drive on the iMac. I'm still considering getting a mac mini as a media server perhaps next year, but there really isn't a point to doing so until Drobo has inventory again.

Looks like they are going to release Big Sur next week since it's reported that the final release candidate was dropped today.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Well I guess we will find out more on this coming Tuesday. Should be interesting. It will be a long time before I can afford a new Mac, but I’m still interested in what Apple has to offer...
Old 11-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #11
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'll probably update my iMac to the new processor when available. I'll also shell out some extra and have the hard drive be all SSD based. My 2015 iMac is running pretty slow with Catalina and I'm sure it won't do better with Big Sur.
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I'll probably update my iMac to the new processor when available. I'll also shell out some extra and have the hard drive be all SSD based. My 2015 iMac is running pretty slow with Catalina and I'm sure it won't do better with Big Sur.
I think that SSD is now standard on iMacs. You can get up to 8 TB now. No telling what the new ones will have. I have 1 TB and wish it was bigger. When Apple split up iTunes in Catalina, some of the apps didn't include the ability to change the default location of the files, hopefully they fix that in the final release version of Big Sur.

Frankly, the biggest thing that I want from Apple is to fix a couple on holes in Catalina. But Apple has historically put such things at the bottom of the to-do list. Obviously, their current design philosophy is that everything is on the cloud which can be problematic at times, like when your internet connection is down.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
If you are running on spinning hard disks...you will be delighted with a simple upgrade to an SSD. They are about 10x faster and aren't nearly as expensive as when they first came out.

I have revived many an "old, slow" laptop by putting in an SSD. They run better than new. It also helps to put a fresh install of Windows.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Less the 2 hours away. I'll place my bet with the rumors of Apple Silicon Macs. Specifically the 13" Air and Mac Pro, and possibly the 16" Mac Pro as well.

Earlier there were rumors of an $800 Macbook 12"....that would almost tempt me to buy it. I won't be buying a new Mac as I just bought one in the spring. It's great, I love it. And as I still need to run Windows and Linux in vm....I'll be served well for a good 5 years to com
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote