Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-06-2020, 11:45 PM   #29056
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
It had been quite a while since I looked up new books by Eric Flint. He has been a busy guy, in spite of surviving spleen cancer. A LOT of new books in the Ring of Fire (1632) universe and...

Two sequels to "The Course of Empire". "The Crucible of Empire" (published 2010, I did say it's been a while) and "The Span of Empire" (published 2016). There's also a short story "Bringer of Fire" (published 2016) that goes between the first two books.

Due to the death of KD Wentworth there were delays to book 3 while Eric found a new co-author, David Carrico.

The first book has the Jao conquering Earth, though Humans are putting up the fiercest resistance they've ever met. Don't they understand its for their own good? Nevermind the Jao don't bother to mention the existential threat posed by the Ekhat until it's almost too late.

In the second book a new (though very well known to the Jao centuries ago) sapient species is found and saved from the Ekhat, even if they don't want to be saved.

The third book expands Jao and Human exploration to very far flung places, and to a revelation that will make the fight for survival of all non-Ekhat in the galaxy a very imminent and urgent one.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:57 AM   #29057
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I finished A Manifest Spirit: The 359th Fighter Group 1943-1945 put together by Janet Fogg, Charlotte Baldridge and Richard Fogg. Felt very good about this book. I think I'm feeling more deeply about things I read and listen to (music) in this strange era we are in. This took me into a long-ago period that my father was in. This was his fighter group that was based at East Wretham near Thetford, England. My father was on one page with a photo. The incident described was on December 23, 1944. He flew a P-51 Mustang with the name Beachcomber (Our hometown is a beach place in NJ).

I am listening to Mary Trump's Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man. Audio books are not my favorite means of reading, but I have an account this year and had 5 credits. I can buy 4 more and quit. I'm about halfway through. The author is the reader.
I finished Too Much and Never Enough this morning. I have a better feeling about listening to audio books now and may keep my subscription up. I still prefer kindle books though. I don't think that political talk is permitted here, so I won't say much. She clarified what I already knew and now I have no tolerance for all of his complicit aides, cabinet, senators and voters. Earllier today he read from the teleprompter and pronounced Thailand "Thighland." Two days ago it was "Yo Smite" instead of Yosemite. OK, that's all for now and feel free to delete my post if it is "inappropriate" for its political content.

Not sure, but I think my next read (to start in an hour or so) will be Lawrence Wright's pandemic novel, The End of October.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:52 AM   #29058
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Lightspeed Magazine #10. I got this in March 2014.
Good but surprisingly short.

Next up: A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. I got this as a freebie from Fictionwise way back in February 2010.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #29059
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Good but surprisingly short.

Next up: A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. I got this as a freebie from Fictionwise way back in February 2010.
Still using your Calibre "pick a random book" function?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #29060
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Still using your Calibre "pick a random book" function?
Usually. In this case I finished a book late and night, and looked through my Kindle for a non-Amazon book I'd sent to my account via email as the next thing to read. This was on there.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #29061
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Among other books, I’m reading Scandal On Plum Island: A Commander Becomes the Accused by Marian E. Lindberg, which is very interesting and very badly written. This is one of the worst books I’ve run across in terms of the vast divide between content and writing style. I admit I’m torn, because it’s painful. I shall probably persevere, but only in small chunks as I get too outraged by the extremely poor prose. Editors, alas, we miss you!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:58 AM   #29062
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Most enjoyable. A PI mystery set in the then contemporary 1980s, but now feeling like a historical, with all the necessary focus on how to make sure you can keep in touch with only landline phones!

Next up: Day of the Dead by Neil Gaiman. Another random pick, from a humble bundle I got back in August 2015.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:10 AM   #29063
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Most enjoyable. A PI mystery set in the then contemporary 1980s, but now feeling like a historical, with all the necessary focus on how to make sure you can keep in touch with only landline phones!

Next up: Day of the Dead by Neil Gaiman. Another random pick, from a humble bundle I got back in August 2015.
You gave A is for Alibi 5 stars?? Wait till you read 'D' and 'I'. Your mind will be blown.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #29064
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 5 star reread review of Birthday Party Murder by Leslie Meier :-

Spoiler:
At last this series gets a second book that reached 5 stars. It was long due in coming. I have a great fondness for the style and rhythm, and class of this series. This book is one of the strong 5 star earners.

It's right there among the best books I've ever read. The interaction between the Stone family members may have looked ordinary if adapted onscreen, but in book medium it's absolutely brilliant. The murder, obligatory ingredient that it is, is solved, but it's not the main attraction in the book.

I still don't like Miss Tilley. And it's not fair that they have changed her personality to make her likeable. Everything else balances beautifully here and I've got no complaints.

Last edited by Luffy; 08-08-2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #29065
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just finished In the Woods by Harlan Coben. Not my usual genre but I give it 4.5 stars. Kept me guessing until the end!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #29066
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, I won’t say I don’t get what you mean, but I’m a scootch uncomfortable with disparaging other readers, as opposed to books. Drying my tears a little here, as I abandoned the book after a few pages. Abominably bad, IMO.

Not to worry. I’ll get over it. In time.
Just because you didn't like it doesn't make you a snob. I was just prewarning those folk who might visit this thread that they won't like it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #29067
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any chance you could provide a link to this?
Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Hugo-Stories-...6942790&sr=8-2

Volume 2 was even better but at least one story is made clearer by reading vol. 1
https://www.amazon.com/Hugo-Stories-...6942841&sr=8-4
Old 08-08-2020, 11:27 PM   #29068
Tarana
Wizard

In July, I did a lot of random reading focused on books I've had for a long time. My favorite during this time was Volume II of the Hugo Stories by Mike Resnick. All of these were outstanding. This was followed by The Relic by Douglas Pendergast and Lee Child. Very good with a lot of action along the way. FBI agent comes north to investigate a murder that is similar to one that happened in his home turf.

August is usually my Western month and I've read a few that were good, but not outstanding. Hey, they are pulp westerns. I personally know nobody alive but my Mom who still reads westerns, so I won't bore you folks with a bunch of titles. I very much enjoyed the suspense in Ambush on the Mesa by Gordon Shirreffs. I gave that a 4/5. I recommend The Sacketts series by Louis L'Amour (I started last year) for historical fiction fans. The first 4 books have been outstanding and we haven't even reached the west yet.

Currently reading The Blue Mustang by Will Henry. Coming of age story.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-08-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:53 AM   #29069
Luffy
Wizard

My 3 star review of The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1), by Debbie Macomber :-

Spoiler:
Perhaps this is the longest time I took in deciding the rating of this romance book. I mean, any book. I read it in 3 days. But each time I took it up I had to adjust to feel comfy with the genre of said book.

I was indeed caught, surprised, by the twists in the novel. I feel that I'm underrating this writer. Her book helped me to come out of my reading slump.

Some might say that this book has a happy ending too sweet. But I have seen books that had a similar ending but with an actual body count. Is this story worse off? I leave it to you to decide.

Last edited by Luffy; 08-11-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #29070
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
You gave A is for Alibi 5 stars?? Wait till you read 'D' and 'I'. Your mind will be blown.
Luckily I do have B to I. Something to look forward to!

Day of the Dead was a script for a Babylon 5 episode, with some annotations. Good fun.

Then I read The Ladies of Mandrigyn by Barbara Hambley. Excellent sword & Sorcery, as expected.

Next up: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I bought this back in June 2018 after seeing the film.