Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
I can't open epubs purchased on Apple

My aging MacBook Pro laptop died a few days ago. It's a long story, but Apple said I would have to wait a week before I could even talk to tech support. I was in the middle of some huge projects, so I decided it was time to buy a new laptop.

When I was setting it up, I couldn't remember my Apple ID, so I created a new one.

To my surprise, a third party was able to reboot my old laptop a couple days later. But I can't use my original Apple ID, so I logged in with the new one.

But when I copied my Apple Books folder over to my new laptop, I discovered that I can't open them with my new Apple ID or my old one.

Fortunately, I don't have the same problem with my music. I copied the Music folder over, and if I double-click on a song, it opens up.

But does anyone have any idea how I can restore my books? I assumed Apple would have some way of syncing changes in Apple ID. However, I haven't found any solutions on Apple's support forums, and their support techs appertains to be on vacation until the coronavirus pandemic is over.

As a last resort, I thought of check out some kind of DRM removal software. However, the only one I've found so far is Requiem, which was apparently discontinued in 2012.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Did you change your apple ID with the new laptop or just create a new one? If you created a new apple ID, it thinks you are someone else than the person with the old apple ID.

Did you forget the ID, which is usually an email, or forget the password?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The reason you haven't noticed a problem with playing music is that music from Apple no longer comes with DRM applied, and will work whatever Apple ID you're signed in with.

However, you will find that you have lost all your purchase history and you will not be able to re-download any of your music if you delete it.

However, ebooks from Apple almost invariably have DRM, and can only be read on a device signed in with the AppleID used to purchase them.

I urge you to try to recover your old AppleID.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Unrelated to the main question, but had a snafu occur 3 or 4 years ago when I went to log into a Mac. The Mac was acting up after an OS update and I called CS to get help logging in. In the process, neither the screens prompting me for input on the Mac nor the CS person were very clear on what they wanted entered, and the result was I accidentally changed my Apple ID to my login password. It took at least another hour and a bump up in CS level to get that resolved.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple id