Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I note the Forma and Libra have different screens (besides just size).

Forma screen is flush with the bezel
Libra screen is indented

Usually, this implies a different touch-screen technology, and, in most previous cases, indented has resulted in a sharper screen image than does flush.

I there a difference in sharpness / clarity of the screens between the Forma and Libra?

Thank you!
yes, can stumppt confirm
Scaledish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i have both. the on off switch on my new forma is awful. takes lots and lots of tries to get back out of sleep and sometimes shuts down instead.
my workaround is to use a cover which manages sleep/wake, and never use that button
the libra power button is in a different ( more sensible) place and is a different design
are the screens any different?
Old 03-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledish View Post
yes, can stumppt confirm
I don't see an obvious sharpness difference, but maybe I am not the best person to ask. I could not see the difference between kindle voyage and other kindles either, but others say they can.
I think the libra is better value. You pay a lot more to get a bigger screen and a dodgy power button
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #19
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur
JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Is the front-lighting on the Forma any more uniform than on the Libra? Because it pretty well sucks on the Libra. The best you can say about it is that "you eventually get used to it", which means you learn to ignore it.
JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post
Is the front-lighting on the Forma any more uniform than on the Libra? Because it pretty well sucks on the Libra. The best you can say about it is that "you eventually get used to it", which means you learn to ignore it.
Again, for me they are equally good, or equally bad. There's a definite shadow line effect, more noticeable on the thick edge, well documented, easy to ignore as it falls outside of default text margin.
I had seen pictures of that before buying either so I was expecting to see it.
If you don't like the libra lighting, you probably will not like the forma.

The light behind the actual filled with text part of the screens looks uniform to me and it's easy to thing of the edge effect as being like a crease in a folder open paper book.

There must be lots of pictures of both uploaded already?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #21
rockisdead
rockisdead began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have Forma, from Clara HD, I'd say,if you are reading tech books, better to get Forma.
rockisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #22
Scaledish
A friend

starting to lean towards the libra. money is not a issue, (more the merrier), but my birthday is coming up and it might make more sense to spend it on games and get the cheaper libra.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledish View Post
is a 7 or 8 inch better for normal reading? does one have better buttons? just wondering if the forma is toooooo big
This is the case for me. Using the iPad mini in portrait, I set either margin or font size than I normally would on my smaller readers. I dunno, there's only a certain number of words per line that my brain can handle.

That said, I can read in 2-column landscape mode on the iPad mini just fine. From holding the Libra in landscape though, I don't think I'll be comfortable using the Forma that way.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #24
Scaledish
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
This is the case for me. Using the iPad mini in portrait, I set either margin or font size than I normally would on my smaller readers. I dunno, there's only a certain number of words per line that my brain can handle.

That said, I can read in 2-column landscape mode on the iPad mini just fine. From holding the Libra in landscape though, I don't think I'll be comfortable using the Forma that way.
settled on the libra, saving the extra for a playdate (http://play.date
Old 03-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I
Forma screen is flush with the bezel
Libra screen is indented

Usually, this implies a different touch-screen technology, and, in most previous cases, indented has resulted in a sharper screen image than does flush.
Both the Libra H2O and Forma use capacitive touch. They will both have the layer that is usually blamed for the difference between capacitive touch and IR touch screens.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, kobo, libra