Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
Yea it did reset a couple of times. I've plugged it into the computer and there are no books there. I've had to set it up from scratch so looks like it did a total factory reset for some reason. Luckily all my books are on calibre so it's easy enough to put them back on bit it's still a pain that I need to when the system it self updated
If you install the Kobo Utilities and Reading List plugin, youcan backup the database every time you plug in your Kobo to your Calibre Database and you can keep track of what books are on your Kobo.

Kobo Utilities will do the database backup and Reading List will keep track of what books are on your Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #77
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
Yea it did reset a couple of times. I've plugged it into the computer and there are no books there. I've had to set it up from scratch so looks like it did a total factory reset for some reason. Luckily all my books are on calibre so it's easy enough to put them back on bit it's still a pain that I need to when the system it self updated
Definitely not normal. I've been using Kobos for years and never experienced that.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #78
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I installed the OTA update yesterday. Had the Libra freeze on me when I was reading today. A few presses on the sleep button resolved it, but first time I recall this happening.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #79
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you mind attaching a photo of the glitch?
Kind of impossible... It’s a "now you see it, now you don’t*" moment. Like a flash. It last a second or two. It just wasn’t happening before. Not a deal breaker, but annoying.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #80
MeiGuddet
MeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura (Mark 5)
Finally the issue with the always switched on light is solved with this firmware
This existed on my Aura (1st Gen.) since Firmware 4.15.12920.
MeiGuddet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Bug in recent firmware not fixed:
  • Opening very large kepub takes too long and the device is restarted.
Apparently I was wrong with this statement. Or at least not completely correct. Kobo did make some changes to solve this problem. The initial report of this problem was for a large purchased book. Opening these books when synced to the device should now work. I don't have one that I can test. Also, if the book was already on the device when the you installed 4.19, you might need to remove the book and download it again.

For sideloaded kepubs, very large, badly constructed books will probably still fail. The examples I have that have failed were where I took a large book that has over 600 hundred chapters in separate files and merged all the files into one big file. This had 3.5million words in it in a single file. Opening it in the calibre viewer takes a long time. The original book works well. It opens quickly. Kobo are unlikely to do anything specifically to change this. If you sideload a book as a kepub and if fails in this way, I recommend looking it and trying to clean it up, or split it into smaller books. The latter is probably the best thing to do if the book is some sort of omnibus.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #82
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydarko View Post
Does anyone know if 14.19 has resolved the following bug which seemed to pop up in 14.17: When you tap the screen while reading, it ALWAYS pulls up the page navigation buttons, instead of the function that you were last using.

Example: In the past, I was able to tap the screen once, and it would show the reading stats because that was the function that I would be looking at most often. Now it seems that every time I tap the screen the quickly view the reading stats, I THEN tap on the reading stats icon to get out of the page navigation menu. I would love for this to work as it did in 14.15, in which case it recalled the last function viewed and didn't default every time to the page navigation options.
I have a problem of the same type : when I turn page, and select a word few seconds after (example 10s or 20s), the dictionary opens. If I turn page and wait longer (for example 1min), I can't select a word in order to open the dictionary : the page turns directly...
=> the search in dictionary seems to be disable when you stay a "long" time on a page...

Someone can test it and come back to give the result?

Last edited by akorx; 12-28-2019 at 05:49 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
I have a problem of the same type : when I turn page, and select a word few seconds after (example 10s or 20s), the dictionnay opens. If I turn page and wait longer (for example 1min), I can't select a word in order to open the dictionnary : the page turns directly...
=> the search in dictionnary seems to be disable when you stay a "long" time on a page...

Someone can test it and come back to give the result?
I haven't seen anything like that. And testing it now, with a wait of five or ten minutes after turning the page, the menu does display and the dictionary will show something if the selected word was found.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #84
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Fix for ePub Annotations

I just discovered that I had missed seeing a fix for epub annotations. I'm surprised I didn't see it as it is usually something I test for. But, it is also something I had pretty much given up on fixing. And on at least one device I had a workaround in place to prevent the problem.

The fix is to not mess up the chapter and percentage for annotations in epubs when reopening the book. In the past, when you reopened an epub with annotations, in the annotations list, they were all shown as being in the chapter you reopened the book to, and the percent was shown as zero. The actual location in the book was correct if you viewed the annotation in the book, just what was shown in the annotations list was wrong.

Now, when you reopen the book, the stored chapter name and percent are not changed. The device list will show the correct values for these.

The annotations files (under "Digital Editions/Annotations") are still maintained. This is so that ADE will see the annotations for epubs.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #85
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't seen anything like that. And testing it now, with a wait of five or ten minutes after turning the page, the menu does display and the dictionary will show something if the selected word was found.
Perhaps it comes from my dictionary ?

Please can you a test for me ? If your are ok, follow this :

First, download it here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cevfsfogw5...ml-fr.zip?dl=0
=> don't create a account, click "No thanks, continue to view" and download the zip file and upload it in your kobo.

It's a french dictionary... so in yours books written in english, search the word "Hasard" in one of them (you may find it and as it's the same word in english and french, you will be able to use directly a french dictionary without use a french book). I think you can use "a" too (it's not the same meaning in french but we use this little word - it's the verb "to have" at the third person ("he has got" = "il a")).
When you have find it, go to previous page and come back on the page in order to simulate a normal read. Then wait a 1min on the page, and select the word "Hasard" or "a" and come back to give me the result.

Thank you in advance for your help !!!

Last edited by akorx; 12-28-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #86
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am seeing a strange new behaviour when using multiple dictionaries and firmware v4.19.14123. When switching dictionaries after looking up a word, the last dictionary used would be remembered when looking up the next word. Now it will not remember the last used dictionary until you exit the book and open it again. Below are steps to reproduce the problem:
  1. Open a book.
  2. Look up a word.
  3. Change to another dictionary using the dropdown.
  4. Exit the dictionary.
  5. Look up the word again. See that the last used dictionary hasn't been remembered.
  6. Exit the book.
  7. Open the book again.
  8. Look up the word again. See that the last used dictionary is now used (and will be in all subsequent lookups).

It seems that the act of changing the active dictionary registers the last used dictionary for the book in the database, but this last used dictionary field is no longer checked before every word that is looked up, but only once when the book is opened instead. I believe this has changed in this new firmware version.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:47 AM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps it comes from my dictionary ?

Please can you a test for me ? If your are ok, follow this :

First, download it here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cevfsfogw5...ml-fr.zip?dl=0
=> don't create a account, click "No thanks, continue to view" and download the zip file and upload it in your kobo.

It's a french dictionary... so in yours books written in english, search the word "Hasard" in one of them (you may find it and as it's the same word in english and french, you will be able to use directly a french dictionary without use a french book). I think you can use "a" too (it's not the same meaning in french but we use this little word - it's the verb "to have" at the third person ("he has got" = "il a")).
When you have find it, go to previous page and come back on the page in order to simulate a normal read. Then wait a 1min on the page, and select the word "Hasard" or "a" and come back to give me the result.
I don't normally sideload dictionaries, but, I tried that. No change. I looked up a word, changed to the French dictionary, closed and reopened the book (because of the problem @JeanPierre reported), turned the page, responded to another post here on MR, and then selected the word "scenery" and got the meaning for "SCENE". I am not seeing any problems. I don't have any patches installed. If you do, it could be an issue with one of them.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:48 AM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I am seeing a strange new behaviour when using multiple dictionaries and firmware v4.19.14123. When switching dictionaries after looking up a word, the last dictionary used would be remembered when looking up the next word. Now it will not remember the last used dictionary until you exit the book and open it again. Below are steps to reproduce the problem:
  1. Open a book.
  2. Look up a word.
  3. Change to another dictionary using the dropdown.
  4. Exit the dictionary.
  5. Look up the word again. See that the last used dictionary hasn't been remembered.
  6. Exit the book.
  7. Open the book again.
  8. Look up the word again. See that the last used dictionary is now used (and will be in all subsequent lookups).

It seems that the act of changing the active dictionary registers the last used dictionary for the book in the database, but this last used dictionary field is no longer checked before every word that is looked up, but only once when the book is opened instead. I believe this has changed in this new firmware version.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?
Yes, I can reproduce it.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:56 AM   #89
akorx
Addict

Hi davidfor,

And what about my problem of dictionary not opening after 1 minute ? Have you tested it?
Old 12-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #90
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi davidfor,

And what about my problem of dictionary not opening after 1 minute ? Have you tested it?
That was what I tested above. The "responded to another post here on MR" took a lot longer than a minute. I assumed you meant more than a minuted, not exactly one minuted.

In any case, I cannot reproduce the problem with any amount of waiting, or using different dictionaries.