Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Books for Halloween?

I'm looking around for some good Halloween reads that I haven't read before.
Halloween=all of October for me.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:52 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I'm looking around for some good Halloween reads that I haven't read before.
Halloween=all of October for me.
I have a slew of Halloween/harvest/fall themed horror novels and tend to read one each October.

The one I'd most recommend is Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge. It's more fantasy than horror and expensive at $7.99 for what is really a novella. But I very much enjoyed it.

The same author has a Halloween-themed book of short stories called Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season. I have the book, but haven't read it yet.

Al Sarrantonio has a trilogy of stories/novels set in Orangefield, the 'Halloween capital of the world'. You can get the collection, The Orangefield Cycle Omnibus. These are not-so-scary stories. They aren't fantastic, but I liked them.

Kristopher Rufty has a book called Prank Night. I remember liking it, but details are sketchy now. It's on sale for $0.99 right now.

Perrenial paperback author David Robbins published several Halloween-themed horror novels Prank Night, Spook Night and Hell-O-Ween. I've been wishing for years that he'd release ebook versions.

There's lots more out there, but that's what I remember.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-16-2019 at 11:19 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:06 AM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Oh God Halloween !!!!!!! summer is going
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Oh God Halloween !!!!!!! summer is going
Right there with you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Halloween? The stores in my area already have Thanksgiving and Christmas going full blast.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark There are 3 books and there is a less costly combo of all three here.

For audiobooks, this Alfred Hitchcock one is a favorite that we listened to endlessly as kids. Now on Audible. Yep, bought it and listen to it every year.

Peter Straub's Ghost Story is a ghost story, but not a Halloween one. I bought the Audible one.

Haven't read this yet, but the anthology is $1.99 at Amazon. Edited by Stephen King.
Six Scary Stories

I'll be watching this thread too. Many of the horror stories of today aren't Halloween or ghost stories, so they are hard to find.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-15-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Are you looking for books that are explicitly set at Halloween time, or books that are scary/spooky?

Two of the latter that come to mine immediately are Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House and Sharon Bolton's Blood Harvest (set at fall harvest time, but if memory serves, not at Halloween specifically).
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Zelazny's Night in the Lonesome October. If they ever have an ebook version
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Halloween Carnival set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Zelazny's Night in the Lonesome October. If they ever have an ebook version
I've seen it in the Apple bookstore. Can't say if it's legit or not though. I don't see it in the Kindle bookstore. It was published as part of the re-discovered classic series, as was Jack of Shadows.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Are you looking for books that are explicitly set at Halloween time, or books that are scary/spooky?

Two of the latter that come to mine immediately are Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House and Sharon Bolton's Blood Harvest (set at fall harvest time, but if memory serves, not at Halloween specifically).
Either or both. But I've read those. Thanks for suggesting anyway.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Oooh, some lovely looking suggestions here already! Thank you all! I'm keeping an eye on new releases too as Halloween books tend to come out around now.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Also, Mobileread has a history of 'Halloween threads' going back a few years. It's a sort of tradition...

Anyway, if someone has the time you might wish to dig up 2-3 links. From what I remember, there are some wonderful suggestions in those older threads.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Also, Mobileread has a history of 'Halloween threads' going back a few years. It's a sort of tradition...

Anyway, if someone has the time you might wish to dig up 2-3 links. From what I remember, there are some wonderful suggestions in those older threads.
I'll see if I can find them!

Currently enjoying the Elements of Horror series. I usually prefer novels over short stories but the first two have been particularly good anthologies!