Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
tonyvella
tonyvella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader N50
Converting txt, pdf to epub

I have just finished entering my ebook collection into Calibre 3.8. Can anyone please show me how to stop Calibre from breaking the text (almost) at the end of every sentence (actually every second line)? Can't I have it convert the text as it appears in the original txt or pdf (complete paragraphs)?

Last edited by tonyvella; 09-23-2017 at 06:53 PM.
tonyvella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:30 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvella View Post
I have just finished entering my ebook collection into Calibre 3.8. Can anyone please show me how to stop Calibre from breaking the text (almost) at the end of every sentence (actually every second line)? Can't I have it convert the text as it appears in the original txt or pdf (complete paragraphs)?
This post has been moved to the calibre/conversion forum.

You should start by reading this sticky post titled, "Read this before Posting PDF Questions" located at the top of the conversion forum.

Bottom line is many PDFs suck as a source for converting to epub because they are not a reflowable format, they are a print format.

To convert txt you simply have to play with the txt input settings (see attached) during conversion. Specifically the structure section. These often need to be manually entered because auto doesn't always work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	txt input.png
Views:	172
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	159150  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-24-2017 at 04:10 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
As was mentioned you need to play with the conversion settings. Simply enabling the heuristics option often gives good results with minimum effort.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Can anyone please show me how to stop Calibre from breaking the text (almost) at the end of every sentence (actually every second line)? Can't I have it convert the text as it appears in the original txt or pdf (complete paragraphs)?
For PDFs I've found adjustments to the following setting by a small amount (e.g down to .42 or up to .48) can significantly reduce the erroneous line breaks.

Input Options->PDF->Line un-wrapping factor:

Quote:
Scale used to determine the length at which a line should be unwrapped. Valid values are a decimal between 0 and 1. The default is 0.45, just below the median line length.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
... Can't I have it convert the text as it appears in the original txt or pdf (complete paragraphs)?
It should be noted that while the original TXT or PDF may appear to have complete paragraphs, if the calibre conversion to ePub doesn't then the originals didn't either. PDF files very very very rarely have actual continuous paragraphs. Calibre will not break continuous text into separate pieces.

The tips posted so far are aimed at aiding calibre in the task of making continuous text out of the broken pieces in the original while not merging all pieces into a single long text block. They adjust calibre's decision making when it sorts out which pieces need to be assembled and which need to be left separate.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre3.8, convert to epub, sony n50