Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #646
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Last Day -- ChristianAudio -- exp 19 Mar
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #647
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I came across some free titles from Audible in my wanderings this morning (don't remember where though, apologies to the site that posted the links!). Five of them supposedly feature a soundtrack that includes music and sound effects designed to enhance the listening experience and Audible will supposedly send a follow up survey for feedback.

Curiously, I already had Outlander in my library yet it let me purchase this version, too, and sure enough, I now have two versions of Outlander in my Audible library.

Not sure how long these will be free...

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/Ou...ook/B003TFYOL4

When You’re Ready by J. L. Berg [Soundtrack Edition])
http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/Wh...ook/B01M22DMKN

The Turn of the Screw [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/T...ook/B01MA1MLST

The Innocent Ones [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...ook/B01M3NPV71

Jane Carver of Waar [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fan...ook/B01M61UFMG

The Wind in the Willows [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/T...ook/B01MF4WPSC
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #648
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 20 Mar
Old 03-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #649
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I came across some free titles from Audible in my wanderings this morning (don't remember where though, apologies to the site that posted the links!). Five of them supposedly feature a soundtrack that includes music and sound effects designed to enhance the listening experience and Audible will supposedly send a follow up survey for feedback.

Curiously, I already had Outlander in my library yet it let me purchase this version, too, and sure enough, I now have two versions of Outlander in my Audible library.

Not sure how long these will be free...

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/Ou...ook/B003TFYOL4

When You’re Ready by J. L. Berg [Soundtrack Edition])
http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/Wh...ook/B01M22DMKN

The Turn of the Screw [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/T...ook/B01MA1MLST

The Innocent Ones [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...ook/B01M3NPV71

Jane Carver of Waar [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fan...ook/B01M61UFMG

The Wind in the Willows [Soundtrack Edition]
http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/T...ook/B01MF4WPSC
Great find! - will add to OP and Free Audible Titles

BTW, who is the narrator of the Outlander book you already had? I have it in my library too, but it's the same version as the one you linked to.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #650
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
From the PRH Facebook page:

Quote:
On March 22nd, come back and download LITTLE WOMEN for FREE!

Learn more about the audio: http://ow.ly/x0Zp309WPQ3
I love the irony - giving away the famous book of the March family this month. The picture says download will be available for 48 hours only. One of your favorite MobileRead eagle-eyes will remind you when the offer goes live.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #651
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Great find! - will add to OP and Free Audible Titles

BTW, who is the narrator of the Outlander book you already had? I have it in my library too, but it's the same version as the one you linked to.
The reason for the different version is that the freebie, while the same book, has a different Amazon identifier (B003TFYOL4 vs. B002V1CJ8W). The reason for the difference is that the freebie is a throwback to the good old days when Audible used to set up short-time giveaways of popular mainstream books for members. This particular one is from the "Summer of Books" giveaway, likely from 2010. You'll spot the difference if you listen to the first few minutes of each version.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #652
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post

I love the irony - giving away the famous book of the March family this month. The picture says download will be available for 48 hours only. One of your favorite MobileRead eagle-eyes will remind you when the offer goes live.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Thanks for the heads up - will add to the OP

I never read the book, so I never would've spotted that bit of irony.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #653
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
The reason for the different version is that the freebie, while the same book, has a different Amazon identifier (B003TFYOL4 vs. B002V1CJ8W). The reason for the difference is that the freebie is a throwback to the good old days when Audible used to set up short-time giveaways of popular mainstream books for members. This particular one is from the "Summer of Books" giveaway, likely from 2010. You'll spot the difference if you listen to the first few minutes of each version.
Thanks - that explains it.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 AM   #654
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 20 Mar
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #655
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Downpour -- exp 20 Mar
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #656
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Enjoy!
skinmaan
What definition of "irony" applies here?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #657
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
What definition of "irony" applies here?
Quote:
The word irony has come to be applied to events that are merely curious or coincidental, and while some feel this is an incorrect use of the word, it is merely a new one.
You can argue whether or not the above meets your definition of ironic, but clearly reading about the Marches in March meets this criteria.

Now what is truly ironic is attempting to use the method of Socratic irony ("a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning") to expose what you may have perceived as my ignorance of the use of the word "irony."
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #658
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can argue whether or not the above meets your definition of ironic, but clearly reading about the Marches in March meets this criteria.

Now what is truly ironic is attempting to use the method of Socratic irony ("a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning") to expose what you may have perceived as my ignorance of the use of the word "irony."
I honestly thought you may have been alluding to dramatic irony, in that we knew that there was a hidden meaning to releasing that book in March, but maybe it was nominally hidden from the general announcement, but it would have been a stretch....

As for the "new" meaning of irony, I hold that changes in meaning that are rooted in nothing but a misuse of a word due to ignorance and laziness and that bring nothing of value to the language or culture, and in fact dilute meaning and introduce needless ambiguity, should be actively resisted!
To arms, grammar police!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #659
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
As for the "new" meaning of irony, I hold that changes in meaning that are rooted in nothing but a misuse of a word due to ignorance and laziness and that bring nothing of value to the language or culture, and in fact dilute meaning and introduce needless ambiguity, should be actively resisted!
To arms, grammar police!
Sorry if I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this. I've been berated over this more than once. Does it count as actual irony that people who have a problem with the "evolution" of the definition of the word "irony" have no problem whatsoever with changes in the meaning of the word "marriage?"

(Please, don't devolve into a political discussion here. I merely site this as an actual situation I found myself in where someone was okay changing the meaning one and not the other. Yes, I can get into strange conversations from time to time.)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #660
ApK

Quote:
Sorry if I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this. I've been berated over this more than once. Does it count as actual irony that people who have a problem with the "evolution" of the definition of the word "irony" have no problem whatsoever with changes in the meaning of the word "marriage?"

(Please, don't devolve into a political discussion here. I merely site this as an actual situation I found myself in where someone was okay changing the meaning one and not the other. Yes, I can get into strange conversations from time to time.)
I not making a blanket objection to the idea of meaning shifting in a living language.

In cases of extending the meaning of "marriage" or, similarly extending "theft" to include infringing on certain IP rights, you can agree or disagree with the reasoning, but there WAS reasoning. Someone(s) who knew what those words meant or conveyed, saw a parallel, or a connotation they wanted to apply, and intentionally started to make that extension. Right or wrong is not the issue here.

That's totally different that using "literally" to mean figuratively or "irony" to mean coincidence. Those are cases of people just being clueless about the meanings of the words they used and other people clueless following them, and no one caring enough to get it straight.

The first kind of shift may only serve people on one side of an issue, but the second kind serves no one and hurts us all.

Last edited by ApK; 03-20-2017 at 02:43 PM.