Notices

Old 05-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
rewyn
Miskatonic U. Class of 97
rewyn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Nook,
Help coding hierarchical poem in ePub

Greetings all...

Here's my dilemma: I have a section in my current project that has a hierarchical poem. I "clumsily" build a structure for it (verse, verse2, verse3, verse4, etc.)

Each verse tag has different text-indent according to how they should appear on the page.

Is there an easier way to code this?

Example:

.kjhdfo sfjsfjk d dfgjkdfjd fkdsoieui
.........ksajadkj dsjak skdjdkasoiw lakdlak
........................askjdka skdjow kal dk
.........fkjlfi fji s djkkdlaow wo wkd
.......................................nuw
........................djksdoi doaj msowm skao
........................njsjh fhfsi wjak akd9w

And it goes on like this for almost 50 lines...

The other problem I have is relating to testing my structure on the Nook. some of the lines that break do not indent underneath their first lines, and end up looking like:

.kjhdfo sfjsfjk d dfgjkdfjd fkdsoieui
.........ksajadkj dsjak skdjdkasoiw
lakdlak
........................askjdka skdjow kal dk
.........fkjlfi fji s djkkdlaow wo
wkd
........................djksdoi doaj msowm
skao
........................njsjh fhfsi wjak akd9w

(dots present to hold spacing)
Why don't these break underneath? Is there a second line tag to insert? Can anyone offer some suggestions?

My codes looks like this each with different indents:

p.verse5 {
font-family: serif;
color: black;
background: white;
font-size: 1em;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 8em;
padding-left: -8em;
}

Last edited by rewyn; 05-20-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: you kill my spaces
rewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Always tricky ... rarely a perfect solution (for all apps/devices).

Instead of using +text-indents and negative padding, experiment with +(margin|padding)-left and negative text-indents. The negative text indent is what will give you what you're looking for when lines break.

Start with an equal (but opposite) number (margin-right: 3em; text-indent: -3em) to get a feel for how the "hanging" indent works when the text is "flush left". Then start increasing the margin/padding right to see how things behave (adjust the text-indent accordingly).

Also make sure you have plenty of hair to yank out along the way.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
rewyn

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Start with an equal (but opposite) number (margin-right: 3em; text-indent: -3em) to get a feel for how the "hanging" indent works when the text is "flush left". Then start increasing the margin/padding right to see how things behave (adjust the text-indent accordingly).
YEAH!

Setting the margin! Now why didn't I think of that? Forcing margin to start where copy starts...duh.

Thanks.

P.S. Glad I didn't have much hair to start with to yank
Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just a comment on the CSS

Why all the redundant styling if all you want is indent changes?

set the basics in the
p {display: block; more stuff}

and set the differences in the
.verse {indent: .5em;}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
rewyn

Hmmm....

Celebrated too soon, seems like setting margins has stopped lines from breaking altogether...
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewyn View Post
Hmmm....

Celebrated too soon, seems like setting margins has stopped lines from breaking altogether...
Shouldn't. If it's all one paragraph and it's wider than the screen, it HAS to break.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Do you perhaps have white-space: pre; in your stylesheet or perhaps <pre></pre> tags in the xhtml?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
rewyn

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Do you perhaps have white-space: pre; in your stylesheet or perhaps <pre></pre> tags in the xhtml?
nope. and nope.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
rewyn

code looks like this:

p.verse5 {
font-family: serif;
color: black;
background: white;
font-size: 1em;
text-indent: -1.5em;
margin-left: 8em;
padding-right: 2em;
}

But for some reason on the Nook long lines are not breaking....Grrr
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewyn View Post
But for some reason on the Nook long lines are not breaking....Grrr
I don't quite understand what you mean by "not breaking." Do you mean the longer lines are actually disappearing off the screen?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:04 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What is the rest of your stylesheet? Inheritance might be a clue here.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
rewyn

I took a break and came back to it, I was over thinking what I needed to do here.

Here is what I did simplified:
p.verse5 {
line-height: 1.2em;
text-indent: -4em;
padding-left: 12em;
}

then just adjusting the padding to other indenting lines accordingly, thanks all.

Tags
coding books, epub 2, hierarchical, poem