Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
illuzn99
illuzn99 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+ 32gb
Nook HD+ constantly restarting. not rooted. please help

I just got one of these and the first day it seemed to work fine without restarting. Then I noticed a couple random restarts thinking that I maybe pressed something, but that is not the case. I haven't had it long and still trying to figure out the pattern to it and makes it worse. I don't have many apps on it and not many apps running at once either. When plugged in charging it is by far much worse, actually to the point of being totally useless. It will just cycle through over and over, sometimes lasting for 10 minutes between restarts.

There is one trigger I think I have found and that is when it is plugged in and I put it into sleep by pressing the power button one time quickly it goes to sleep then restarts. It stays asleep maybe 10-30 seconds before it restarts, I know this because I tested putting it to sleep and within a few seconds pressing the nook button and it was still on but after more than 10 seconds it would restart.

I factory reset it a few hours ago and just turned it is still doing this even not connected to wifi and I have not even selected the language. After unplugging it from the wall it seemed to stop restarting. Thought it might a been the charger being that it was the cable plugged into dual ac outlet surge protector w/ 2 usb's. Its been on now for about an hour of constant use no issues at all. I plugged it into the B&N charger and into the A/C USB surge protector and they are both charging and working just fine with no restarts after being plugged into for at least 10 min to each one. It almost seems as if its a heat related issue, somehow a safety restart from being to hot.

It seems very inconsistent because right now its pretty hot and have been using it pretty heavily on purpose to test. Everything is running just fine and 2 nights ago I did several Benchmarks just to test compared to my other tablets, it did all of that fine and started restarting hours later that night. I know one thing for sure, if it off for at least 2hrs and then turned back on it has never restarted. Will rooting this with different OS fix it? Any help would be great. this issue is all over the internet with nobody knowing the cause of it

Last edited by illuzn99; 05-28-2014 at 01:11 AM.
illuzn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Huh. I've never had this happen with mine. It didn't start restarting until I rooted it.

Have you taken it to B&N and asked for help?
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
illuzn99
illuzn99 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+ 32gb
That's interesting.. Update.. Later that day it was working fine for a while then out of nowhere it starting cycling the restarts. It wouldn't even go to the white screen. It would show a blue bar get full, not the one that counts to 100. Once the blue bar fills it restarts, had to hold the power button to turn it off for good.

Next morning when powered on it was as if I factory reset it.. Set it up and it ran fine for a few hours of medium powered use basically watching tv logging into clash of clans here n there and browsing the web. Everything was fine and then it just randomly factory reset itself again. It did the whole fill up the blue bar and start over but only maybe 3 times in a row. Turned on and it was reset again..

I wish i knew if this is fixable because i can send it back to the auction site, but i rather keep it. Thinking of trying one of those files you put on a SD card and its suppose to auto root the device.. This thing is actually pretty nice and i could deal with random restarts but the factory resets are seriously annoying. Does it factory reset because of something else or i wonder if its the restart and when it loads it restarts before its loading causing it to corrupt and reset itself? If so that's not as big of an issue, but i have no idea.
illuzn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
You can make your own card and dual boot your Nook HD+. The information is on xda.com. I have not done it that way. However I did use the n2acards.com service to make a card for my HD. It was $20 but I was not having luck writing my own card, for unknown reasons. Their application worked for me. So my Nook HD is running Kitkat from the SD card.

Anyway, if you can write the image yourself, you can test your device without altering the firmware on the device. That might give you some indication whether it's a hardware problem, if you continue to experience restarts/resets, then it probably is. In which case you should return it.

We do experience random reboots on our HD+, but not like you are experiencing. Ours is rooted just enough to access the Amazon App Store, but otherwise still on factory specs. I may try making a card for it next month.

My daughter's HD is running jellybean which was installed EMMC (directly--its's not a Nook anymore) and hers freezes and resets at random way more than I like. But that could be her usage. She is a heavy gamer and tends to leave the wifi on all the time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Anything doing that many random reboots / factory resets should probably be returned for another one. Sounds like a hardware fault. Do it while you still have a return window.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 AM   #6
hesytashun
hesytashun began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Curious of the outcome

illuzn - I am curious if you returned the nook or found a fix, as I too have this problem. I cannot just return it as i have owned it for quite some time. My mother in law primarily used it as a tablet to play games on. For some time I was constantly setting everything back up on it and it would work fine for a few days. Then it would begin power cycling again.. Would love to find out if anyone else found a fix as well.. for now its a paper weight.
hesytashun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook hd, rebooting, restarting