Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #481
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Just got my monthly credit today... Almost spent it, but noticed the items on my wish list were discounted.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #482
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Pretty much everything is discounted. Which works out well since I still have credit from the 4 in a month.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #483
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
I think I've stumbled on Audible's Christmas freebie for 2014; either that or it's just a random freebie the elves left lying around. Until January 31 you can get "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Anderson for free here. I didn't know this but it says this story was the inspiration for Disney's "Frozen."

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
Old 12-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #484
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I think I've stumbled on Audible's Christmas freebie for 2014; either that or it's just a random freebie the elves left lying around. Until January 31 you can get "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Anderson for free here. I didn't know this but it says this story was the inspiration for Disney's "Frozen."

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
If and when Amazon releases it for sale again (right now it is an "Item Under Review), you can purchase The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen for $0.00, I think that it is (it's for very cheap, anyway). It has many, many of his fairy tales, including The Snow Queen. Then, the Whispersync companion will be available to you for you for only $0.99.

The narrator is not the same as the one that skinmaan posted. For this one above it is Angele Masters. From personal experience, I do not know which one of the different narrators is better. Julia Whelan, of Skinmaan's post, is probably the better one, however, because she is "Audible's 2014 Narrator of the Year."

Too, if you're concerned that Amazon may not release the Kindle book until after Christmas, and that you'll be out of the Christmas mood then, you probably will want to get the one that Skinmaan mentioned. haha

Or, you can get them both. How about that?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-13-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #485
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
The Snow Queen is one of my favorite Han's Christian Anderson Fairy Tales.Thanks for the link to the audio version.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #486
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think when audible says unabridged for the book they mean the stories are complete not that the audiobook has all of Hans Christian Anderson stories.I had this problem with the Naxos Version of Oscar Wilde's Fairy tales.They changed the digital version's title to select unabridged tales or some such thing after I complained.

I think this one is complete: http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/F...8478694&sr=1-3
Old 12-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #487
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
That one is 13 hours, the Angele Masters-narrated collection is 41 hours. I don't know if it's complete but it includes 127 stories.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #488
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
So make the Kindle version available already so I can purchase it for 99¢!

*taps foot impatiently*
Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #489
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That one is 13 hours, the Angele Masters-narrated collection is 41 hours. I don't know if it's complete but it includes 127 stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
So make the Kindle version available already so I can purchase it for 99¢!

*taps foot impatiently*
Luckily, I had purchased the kindle freebie in the past; so 99 cents for 41 hours? Yes please thank you!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #490
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Luckily, I had purchased the kindle freebie in the past; so 99 cents for 41 hours? Yes please thank you!
I got it over a year ago as part of an order of 15 Whispersync titles ($0.99 ea) that I used a coupon for. At this point, I've wiped out all of the $0.99 titles I wanted and am now working on the $1.99~$2.99 titles. I heart Whispersync and coupons
Old 12-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #491
Red Falcon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Your right I just checked one my hardcovers of Anderson's Fairy Tales and the Angele Master's is the near complete one. According to the reviews on Audible this use's an older translation that is not that good.I have a newer hardcover of his Tales that is translated directly from the Dutch not German as so many other translations do. Here's the link to the edition I own that I like a lot: The Stories of Hans Christian Andersen: A New Translation from the Danish. Unfortunately this edition only contains 22 of the more then 160 tales that Hans Christian Anderson wrote. And here is a second newer translation that collects 30 of his stories: Hans Christian Andersen: Fairy Tales.And this final one contains most of the stories and is available as an e-book : http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Ande...stian+Andersen.This is the translation that Jean Hersholt did from the Dutch in the 1940's and is the one I grew up on.

Last edited by Red Falcon; 12-13-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #492
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Audible - here's another freebie:

This prequel is a tie-in for a soon-to-be released game (Fire Phone only) from Amazon Game Studios.

Til Morning’s Light: The Private Blog of Erica Page
Quote:
Erica Page, the protagonist of Amazon and WayForward’s upcoming game Til Morning’s Light, is already sick of the boring New England town that her family now calls home. There’s nothing to do in beige Leisterville except browse the Internet, update her blog, and investigate “supernatural phenomena” with her weird new friend Angie. However, when their research yields more-than-convincing results and tragedy strikes, it’s up to Erica to enter the mysterious mansion on Hamilton Road and discover the truth about her new hometown.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #493
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
. . . .
I think this one is complete: http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/F...8478694&sr=1-3
Yes, but you actually have to pay for it. hahahah

Quote:
I think when audible says unabridged for the book they mean the stories are complete not that the audiobook has all of Hans Christian Anderson stories.I had this problem with the Naxos Version of Oscar Wilde's Fairy tales.They changed the digital version's title to select unabridged tales or some such thing after I complained.
I think that you are right. "Unabridged" means that it has the full stories, nothing has been taken out of them (a familiar example, at least to us in the U.S., of an abridged work, would be one of the bazillions of condensed books, usually in anthologies, that Reader's Digest put(s?) out). When a title says "complete," that means that all of the author's works are included (at least all of the works that are known or available for publication (for legal reasons or otherwise)). And, yes, "select" indicates that not all of the author's works are included; it is in contrast to "complete."

There is a particular kind of written (as opposed to audio) work (there may be more than one, but I know of only one) which is described differently. I will refrain from going into all of the details, unless someone wants to know, but will mention one thing. In those works, the word "exhaustive" in the title means that all things are (supposed to be) there; the word "complete" most commonly means that all things are not there, the work is abridged! Yes, it can be confusing.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-13-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #494
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
Found on CNET Cheapskate this morning

I am not new, but it worked for me!
The 3 months at Audible for $1 per month found at the bottom of the link above still works if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Synamon; 12-13-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #495
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The 3 months at Audible for $1 per month found at the bottom of the link above still works if anyone is interested.
<------Someone interested.

Great find. I'm headed over there now to see if I, as a "Listener Light" subscriber/member, can take advantage of it.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Hmmm . . . I got this message when I went to the Audible page that Cnet linked to:
Sorry, you might have overlooked something. Please check the promotion details. If you think weve made a mistake, contact Customer Care at 1-888-283-5051.

I'm going to check into it as soon as I get through with this message, and then let everyone know what I found out.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-13-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
audible