Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #1291
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Tremendously late, but here comes the proper release handling all the 'new' PW2!

JailBreak v1.12.N:
* Support all the 4GB PW2 models
* Attempt to carry MKK over full updates, in addition to itself (this also means that it bundles MKK at install time, and thus deprecates MKK as a standalone package: just restart the device after the JB install).

USBNet v0.17.N:
* A whole bunch of stuff, check the detailed ChangeLog.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-31-2014 at 03:38 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #1292
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Tremendously late, but here comes the proper release handling all the 'new' PW2!

JailBreak v1.12.N:
* Support all the 4GB PW2 models
* Attempt to carry MKK over full updates, in addition to itself.

USBNet v0.17.N:
* A whole bunch of stuff, check the detailed ChangeLog.
Yay!!! Thank you so much! Never considered late and always thankful.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #1293
Ivan80
Ivan80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2014)
I bought today new Kindle Paperwhite 2 with 4GB - 5.4.3.2 firmware and have some noob questions:

I am currently use airplane mode, what i need to do first:

- Jailbreak, install other stuff i want (Kual, sceensaver hack...) and after that register my device and then finally update to newest 5.4.5.1 firmware? Is safe to update to 5.4.5.1?

- When I extract kindle-jailbreak-1.12.N i have:
ChangeLog.txt
kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip
README
README.txt
Update_jailbreak_1.12.N_uninstall.bin
Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.12.N_install.bin
VERSION
WHERE_ARE_THE_SOURCES.txt

do I only need to extract kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip and move only this files on root of my Kindle Paperwhite 2:
bridge.sh
developer.keystore
jb.sh
json_simple-1.1.jar
Update_jb_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh jb.sh).bin

I am confused with this file: Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.12.N_install.bin

If i want to unistall jailbrek do i use:Update_jailbreak_1.12.N_uninstall.bin

Probably stupid questions but this is first time to me and I don't want to do something wrong.

Thanks
Ivan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #1294
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Ivan80: JB first, and if you want to update, update right after the JB (since the update will wipe most hacks). Right now, updating to 5.4.5.1 is safe.

Yep, only the contents of the zip.

Forget about the bridge install file, it doesn't apply to you.

And yep on the uninstall, although there isn't really a good reason to do so, and a factory reset will (mostly) do the job (meaning it'll screw you over, in case you ever get an itch to click that button). [This also means that, if you do want to uninstall everything, the JB is the *last* thing you should uninstall, and beginning with a factory reset is a very bad idea].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #1295
Ivan80
Ivan80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2014)
^
Thanks, I done!!! Everythings works fine on 5.4.5.1
Ivan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #1296
Yayu
Yayu began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Hi everyone !

Just like ivan80 i bought a paperwhite and it's on 5.4.5.1, can you explain me how to jailbreak it please ?

I tried to copy files of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip to my kindle but it keep saying me "update error".

If i need other files can you tell me where can i find them ?

I followed this topic :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=downgrade

Last edited by Yayu; 11-04-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Yayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #1297
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayu View Post
Hi everyone !

Just like ivan80 i bought a paperwhite and it's on 5.4.5.1, can you explain me how to jailbreak it please ?

I tried to copy files of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip to my kindle but it keep saying me "update error".

If i need other files can you tell me where can i find them ?

I followed this topic :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=downgrade
Did you read all of that page?
Including the:
IMPORTANT notice to FW >= 5.4.5 users:
Section?

There is a highlighted link in that section:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=12

Try that and report back.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #1298
Yayu

Yes i read it all, and tried to reboot it without unpluging it.
But when i try to update after puting the files of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip in the director files, it keep saying me "error 007"

Is this the good files for downgrade and jailbreak ?

Or maybe i'm doing it wrong ? What "(i.e. before ejecting from PC)" mean ?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Yayu; 11-04-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #1299
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes i read it all, and tried to reboot it without unpluging it.
But when i try to update after puting the files of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip in the director files, it keep saying me "error 007"

Is this the good files for downgrade and jailbreak ?

Or maybe i'm doing it wrong ? What "(i.e. before ejecting from PC)" mean ?

Thanks for your help
Read the linked page.

Use those directions to do the DOWNGRADE not to do the jailbreak.
You do the downgrade by installing one of the earlier Amazon 'update' image files, obtained from the Amazon site.

You may install the jailbreak **AFTER** you complete the downgrade.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #1300
Yayu

Thank you very much it works now !

Why there is no link to the old firmware in the first post ?? It would be easier ..

I hope my problem will help another guys in the same situation.

I found the firmware link here, i didn't found it on the amazon site:
http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index....3&v_code=41172

Thank you again
Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #1301
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Why there is no link to the old firmware in the first post ?? It would be easier ..
- - - -
Duh....
Because it is posted by Amazon Customer Support?

#1 Find the Amazon firmware support page for PW2:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201307450

Just as if you wanted to upgrade your firmware.

#2 Find the link to the current firmware update on that page:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...le_5.4.5.1.bin
Make a copy of that full URL

#3 What firmware version do you want to install? Just as a for instance:
Edit the firmware version in the copy of the URL - to say, 5.4.3.2:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...le_5.4.3.2.bin

Click, select "save file".

Their firmware support server has been like that forever.
It just does not seem required to mention it any longer.

(You can probably find the same instructions as above in both this forum and in our wiki.
In more recent firmwares, Lab126 calls this the "Downgrade Attack".)

Last edited by knc1; 11-05-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #1302
lebrac
lebrac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2014
Hi, I've just bought the new kindle touch basic (fw 5.6.0.1) can I downgrade it and then follow this guide?
lebrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #1303
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebrac View Post
Hi, I've just bought the new kindle touch basic (fw 5.6.0.1) can I downgrade it and then follow this guide?
Short answer: No

Better answer:
Never attempt to "downgrade" a new model device (any device) to a firmware that is older than its initial release firmware.
Even if you could, don't try it. Assume the manufacturer had a reason for developing the newer firmware rather than shipping the one they already had on hand.

Longer answer:
Have you powered it on yet?
If not, do you have a Linux PC available (not as a VM, as an actual install)?
PM me about the above answers.

It will not help you downgrade the KT2, but it may help the overall effort.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #1304
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Short answer: No

Better answer:
Never attempt to "downgrade" a new model device (any device) to a firmware that is older than its initial release firmware.
Even if you could, don't try it. Assume the manufacturer had a reason for developing the newer firmware rather than shipping the one they already had on hand.
Huh? According the the OP:

"If your device shipped on 5.4.5 or newer, all is not lost, you should be able to downgrade to 5.4.3.2 with a bit of trickery."

So should/will I be able to downgrade my PW2 or not? Now I'm confused and don't want to brick it.

ETA - Is this the "key" - "new model device" - which I guess technically the PW2 isn't one?

Last edited by pghaworth; 11-07-2014 at 09:06 AM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #1305
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Huh? According the the OP:

"If your device shipped on 5.4.5 or newer, all is not lost, you should be able to downgrade to 5.4.3.2 with a bit of trickery."

So should/will I be able to downgrade my PW2 or not? Now I'm confused and don't want to brick it.

ETA - Is this the "key" - "new model device" - which I guess technically the PW2 isn't one?
If you can decide on which model you have (or will get) - maybe.

Your O.P. said:
Quote:
... kindle touch basic ...
As in:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I15SB16/ref=fs_kb
^^ see the _kb in the url?
Which Amazon calls (or called) "new basic kindle"

Now you are asking about the PW2 -
as in:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8GOWU/ref=fs_kp
^^ see the _kp in the url?

But check your wallet, you might have actually purchased this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOY8XWQ/ref=fs_kv
^^ see the _kv in the url?

Which one do you actually have?
And I will give you an actual answer.

Hint (in order listed above):
KT2 - No
PW2 - Maybe not, depends on if the "Downgrade Attack" firmware change is included in your version of the firmware. Try it and you tell us.
KV - No

- - - -

Nice to see Amazon (trying) to adopt our naming conventions, if only internally.

Last edited by knc1; 11-07-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch