Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
supermaily
supermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to beholdsupermaily is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Cool Battery life

I've new Aura HD and one year old Kindle NT. Today, after two weeks, my Aura's battery has died (after one warring!). In reading life I have 16 hours. Mainly I have wifi and light turned off. And reader has never been turned off, only in sleep mode. Charging and discharging process isn't linear, eg. after 1 hour (from 2 hours) charging I have still 46% battery. My old Kindle can handle in very high load two weeks about(without wifi).

Is it correct?
Should I turn off reader?
Do you have any tips about energy saving?

Last edited by supermaily; 10-17-2013 at 01:51 PM.
supermaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermaily View Post
I've new Aura HD and one year old Kindle NT. Today, after two weeks, my Aura's battery has died (after one warring!). In reading life I have 16 hours. Mainly I have wifi and light turned off. And reader has never been turned off, only in sleep mode. Charging and discharging process isn't linear, eg. after 1 hour (from 2 hours) charging I have still 46% battery. My old Kindle can handle in very high load two weeks about(without wifi).

Is it correct?
Should I turn off reader?
Do you have any tips about energy saving?
Did you fully charge the Aura HD before you started reading? Mine arrived from the factory about 40% charged. It also took several charge/discharge cycles before the meter/% battery display started to correctly indicate battery condition.

I generally charge my Aura HD about once per month when the 10% charge warning pops up.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Also other people have noted that the charge percentage shown on the Sleep display tends to stall during charging, and then suddenly update to a higher value when you disconnect.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Also other people have noted that the charge percentage shown on the Sleep display tends to stall during charging, and then suddenly update to a higher value when you disconnect.
I'm one of those; twice it's hung at 47% and once strangely at 53%. All three times I unplugged it, turned it on, plugged it back in and a few minutes later it was at 100%.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I haven't noticed how my battery is. But I've never had any problems with it. I probably charge the battery every 2 or 3 weeks.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
yes I've noticed the % stalling while charging, too.

As for the battery, if you only read, I've had circa 40 hours of use (meaning, those in the reading stats) with wifi off and not shutting it but simple sleep and with light between 7 and 37, depending on day and night.
But, if I start to play a bit (solitaire, sudoku, whatever) the battery goes down much faster.
Depending on that I've had to charge it every 2-3 weeks.
glos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery