Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
swschroder
swschroder began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD
Currupted EPUB downloads to Nook HD

I recently got a Nook HD and I am trying to download EPUB files. Calibre has the device set to Nook HD and I am able to connect to the Calibre Content Server from my device.

When I download the EPUB file the browser reports that the download was successful. However when I open the artilce with the reader, the file appears to be truncated. The first few pages of the article are fine, but the last several pages are missing and apparently were not downloaded.

I am running Calibre 0.9.42 on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04.2, x86_64).
I am running software version 2.1.0 on My Nook HD.

Thank you for your help and advice.
swschroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That epub file likely has some formatting the nook cannot handle. do an epub to epub conversion first, or even more drastic, do an epub to mobi to epub conversion.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
swschroder

I created the EPUB file using Calibre. The original source was a web page. In my browser (Firefox) I chose "Web Page, Complete" when saving the page to my workstation. When I added the article to Calibre it created a ZIP format. I edited the metadata and then did a "convert book" to generate the EPUB.

Give the above, how would I go about doing an EPUB to EPUB conversion? When doing this kind of conversion, are there any options that can be set to restrict the formatting in the final EPUB so that it can be used on the NOOK?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If the epub file was already created by calibre then doing an epub to epub is pointless. DO an epub to mobi to epub instead. Simply choose the appropriate input format int he top left corner of the conversion dialog at each stage.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
swschroder

EPUB to MOBI to EPUB did not work. The final EPUB file was different than the original EPUB, but it still appeared to be truncated.

ZIP to MOBI to EPUB also did not work. Same truncated behavior.

ODT to MOBI to EPUB did work! I tried this on a different EPUB file I was having a problem with (source file was ODT). Converting the ODT to MOBI first allowed me to view it correctly but converting ODT directly to EPUB had the same truncation and/or formatting problem.

Also I am assuming that the Calibre Content server does not have caching. So that when I generate a new EPUB file I am actually downloading the new EPUB file and not a cached version of the old EPUB.

Thanks,

Tags
calibre, nook hd