Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #196
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Click the attachments icon on the DIY-KeK title line.
Nice tip! thanks!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #197
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: If you x-tc env uses a recent enough glibc build, it'll pick up futimens@GLIBC_2.6. You need to short the autotools check to make sure it doesn't get picked up: export ac_cv_func_futimens=no before running configure .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #198
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: If you x-tc env uses a recent enough glibc build, it'll pick up futimens@GLIBC_2.6. You need to short the autotools check to make sure it doesn't get picked up: export ac_cv_func_futimens=no before running configure .
Thanks. I will try that.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #199
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Ah, the joys of trying to build "static linked" applications against glibc.

It is not recommended by the glibc project (nor myself).
Here is one reference to a few of the problems, others are available with a bit of searching:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...inking-is-dead
Page down through the answers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #200
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1: I (almost) never *completely* link statically. At best I statically link one or two troublesome or recent lib, but I usually try to use mostly dynamic linking, while avoiding ABI/API mismatches, (like this one, which wouldn't even be an issue if I was building against the same glibc as the Kindle, which is what I'm doing on my K5 TC ).

In the xz case, I end up with a ~160K binary with NEEDED entries for libgcc_s.so.1 @ GCC_3.5, libpthread.so.0 & libc.so.6 @ GLIBC_2.4, which should be more than backward compatible enough to run on the K2/K3 .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-15-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #201
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@knc1: I (almost) never *completely* link statically. At best I statically link one or two troublesome or recent lib, but I usually try to use mostly dynamic linking, while avoiding ABI/API mismatches, (like this one, which wouldn't even be an issue if I was building against the same glibc as the Kindle, which is what I'm doing on my K5 TC ).
I agree.
I was not recommending statically linked applications over dynamically linked applications.

Perhaps I wasn't clear - - -
I was only recommending against trying to statically link applications against glibc rather than any of the several libc's that are designed to support that purpose.

I know I haven't posted enough applications here yet for a pattern to be evident, but I am only statically linking occasionally used utilities where the un-shared memory usage penalty will be rare since they are rarely used.

I have a couple more on my todo list, but by the time I have finished those, there should be plenty of examples of how to do it.
Complete with everything a person needs now or in the future to duplicate the work.

I.E: Work done in the sense of a collaboration with the community at large, not in a competition with the community or any of its members.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #202
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. I'm attempting to port:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...1286718155/all

to kindle specific code but one of the methods is giving me trouble.

The code calls:

Code:
wi = -pgm_read_word_near(Sinewave + j);
Which is an AVR Program.h call as specified here:

http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-..._pgmspace.html
and more specifically
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-...a66b70ecfb7398

It's pretty basic

"Read a word from the program space with a 16-bit (near) address. "

So that's like read a word from the list in Sinewave? OR is the Sinewave method returning an indirect reference to a memory offset or perhaps absolute location? The iterating memory pattern is to facilitate efficient maths; It's actual function is not key here simply it's contents. Am I referencing the address, an offset, the data itself?

It looks to me like a 256 data points sine mapped out by hand. err pourquoi?
I'll read the code again, and again, but I still don't get i.t

Assuming that is is an address? ( random I know, but let's just assume it is)
What's the equivalent c function? fread, or something similar with a buffer?

I'm struggling to grasp what tools I have on offer in c but I'm slowly catching on via reading and absorbing other code. I'm struggling to translate the machine level calls to program space.

I'm not used to be the lame duck of the bunch but we all start somewhere.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on the matter. the code is brief in the main and well documented. This is the last thing I have an issue with

It would be a big help in the push the get RT FFT graphics on the kindle.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #203
knc1
Going Viral

Nice find, 8-bit, integer FFT and Inv-FFT.
Will need a night's sleep and time to study it to answer your specific questions.
Should really scream when ported to the arm's VFP processor.

Hopefully, someone in another time-zone will beat me to it.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #204
twobob

Quote:
I.E: Work done in the sense of a collaboration with the community at large, not in a competition with the community or any of its members.
This is achieved indirectly through following threads such as these but more directly with excellent documentation like that provisioned by you.

The only person I'm in competition with is me, and currently I'm losing

The subject of static linking is far more complex than first imagined, given the alternatives though (Yes I have been a victim of WinSxS splurge and hear the moans of old dll hell ghosts echoing from the distance) I am happy to just hunker down and learn what needs to be learned.

Hopefully through the guides provided by you and the tidbits picked up from the others, via whatever medium, eventually stuff will become a bit more clear.

If I ever seem like I'm trampling on someone when I'm running toward a goal, it's just because I'm in a rush to get there, competition and glory is one thing, results speak for themselves. (Um currently I have no results so by my own yardstick I am a failure) ho hum

As a long time supporter of free, community-centric projects I recognise the wide variety of personalities - the shining stars - the plodders (me) - the workhorses - we all have our place and as long as the goal always remains the goal I tend to let the rough corners of peoples personalities just go unnoticed.

I'll say it again, Results speak for themselves long after the personalities are gone.

: )
Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #205
twobob

Quote:
Nice find, ... Elided .... Hopefully, someone in another time-zone will beat me to it.
It was GM who pointed me at it. Another cracking good script that I have failed to single-handedly implement. Ho Hum.

I bet even Einstein struggled with some stuff. Well, that my story and I'm sticking to it. Yeah Eistein,

We have load in common, There's the.... Errr.. Oh Yeah and the ... Oh OK

I have more in common with a marsupial probably genetically that the big E but I'm willing to slog at it. Perspiration + Inspiration. Catching me working and all that.

No rush, the conversion can wait. I'm just keen to do some freq-domain do-hickery. It' ll probably explode the kindle.

That said I do have a very nice comfortable overhead when I use a 3 frame refresh - which may be fine for graphics of this nature - have to see what can be squeezed out of it.

And do some more research into the Wave format - make notes for the next poor fool who has to determine which size buffer to scrape for each bit size / channel combo / formats that are supported etc. I also have alsactl on my list. neither of which are as cool as little numbers saying

[0-500]:000 [500-1k]:023 [1-1.5k]:123 [1.5-2k]:230 (etc times the bands)

That would make me a happy bunny. And the community I would venture too...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #206
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Yeah, agreed .

Which is another reason why I went this way (besides being more familiar with it, and trying to avoid large binaries), I didn't want to bother with µcLibc if I could avoid it .
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #207
twobob

get good with what you got

Quote:
@knc1: Yeah, agreed .

Which is another reason why I went this way (besides being more familiar with it, and trying to avoid large binaries), I didn't want to bother with µcLibc if I could avoid it .
I looked around after you mentioned some alternatives but simply learning what is already to hand seems the sensible option.

Viz c, alsa - wish amazon had thought to include an FFT method
Serious oversight what were they thinking!

hehehe
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #208
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
It was GM who pointed me at it. Another cracking good script that I have failed to single-handedly implement. Ho Hum.

I bet even Einstein struggled with some stuff. Well, that my story and I'm sticking to it. Yeah Eistein,

We have load in common, There's the.... Errr.. Oh Yeah and the ... Oh OK

I have more in common with a marsupial probably genetically that the big E but I'm willing to slog at it. Perspiration + Inspiration. Catching me working and all that.

No rush, the conversion can wait. I'm just keen to do some freq-domain do-hickery. It' ll probably explode the kindle.

That said I do have a very nice comfortable overhead when I use a 3 frame refresh - which may be fine for graphics of this nature - have to see what can be squeezed out of it.

And do some more research into the Wave format - make notes for the next poor fool who has to determine which size buffer to scrape for each bit size / channel combo / formats that are supported etc. I also have alsactl on my list. neither of which are as cool as little numbers saying

[0-500]:000 [500-1k]:023 [1-1.5k]:123 [1.5-2k]:230 (etc times the bands)

That would make me a happy bunny. And the community I would venture too...
How about a link to the documentation on the method in use?
http://www.eetimes.com/design/embedd...low-power-MCUs

And an example of how to do it, with example C code?
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index...._of_Real_Input
That one uses "float" and a TI dsp rather than the described above, scaled real number implementation.
Which is not so off-the-wall as it may at first seem, since the K3 has a (simple) VFP (vector floating point) processor - and the K4/K5 have the (much better) VFPv3.

That should give you food for though while you take a break to deal with "real life".
Hope you can find some more "hobby time", later this summer.

Last edited by knc1; 07-16-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #209
twobob

real life? Who said I have a life? They are damned liars.

This is an excellent couple of docs. Many thanks I am subsuming them for breakfast.
Much appreciated, I was a little jaded by 4AM - my last post. I probably could have sounded a little more positive. : ) Well, I have had my breaktime, Back to the face data Miner!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #210
knc1
Going Viral

I added entries in our site index system to my work of this weekend.
No one has posted: "I downloaded this and it ate my machine" so they must be alright.

Tags
stupid root mistakes