Notices

Old 12-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
dreamriver
Enthusiast
dreamriver began at the beginning.

Device: T5
Arrow Utah Paper Challenge

CHALLENGE: UTAH PAPERS

I thought if we provided challenges to each other from now on, maybe we can get more out of our PDA with each other's help. And get bragging rights for being able to crack a way to get it on the PDA.

I have tried many ways, but failed each time to successfully get the Utah paper on to iSilo.

I am trying to get a iSilo version of any of the following papers, with intent of having the whole article available to read.

http://deseretnews.com/

http://www.sltrib.com/

http://www.daily-herald.com/

On the last one, it does provide RSS feed, but it does not work with iSilo, and the RSS feed only highlights the news.

Future challenge - San Francisco Papers
Old 12-09-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Not an easy challenge Those news pages contain lots of information on their front-pages. Will give it a try.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamriver
On the last one, it does provide RSS feed, but it does not work with iSilo, and the RSS feed only highlights the news.
They provide several feeds...
http://www.harktheherald.com/index.p...display&pid=10

What I could try is to make those feeds into mobile pages and link to the printer-friendly urls directly.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
dreamriver
Enthusiast

Arrow How do you find or make printer friendly?

Hey there,

I saw the RSS feed you had the link to. I have used those before, but I could not find any printer friendly pages though. The RSS feeds are highlights of the news, not the whole story.

I find it interesting how difficult it is to get the website contents onto a PDA. I know that one of the other papers has a PDA version that is available to paying clients.

So I know this is a pretty steep challenge. Is there any way to use Plucker (I do not know how to use it yet) and then convert it to iSilo?

Nick
Old 12-10-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Nope Plucker and iSilo each use its own format. The RSS feed only shows the highlight of the news, but it also links to it. And since each news also has a printer-friendly version (in the case of Daily Herald), one could think of rewriting the links in the RSS feed to link to the latter.

Currently, the only tool that I know of that allows you to rewrite on-the-fly is Sunshine, which is still compatible to Plucker Viewer.

The other way, which I might try, is to write your own script. Like this one for example:
https://www.mobileread.com/avantgo/wttop_mobile.html
Old 12-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
dreamriver
Enthusiast

Arrow I like the link you gave me

The link you gave is fantastic. How do I make one like this? Is there a website I start with to make this "Printer" friendly page for the Daily Herald?

Nick
Old 12-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

No it is not that simple to convert the links. Like I said, only Sunshine supports it currently (and it requires you to know some Javascript). The link I gave you is generated with a script that I wrote in PHP.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Currently, the only tool that I know of that allows you to rewrite on-the-fly is Sunshine, which is still compatible to Plucker Viewer.
Tee hee

(Sorry, hadda do it)
Old 12-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Arggggg!

...rise ... shine ... this is all wishful thinking here these cloudy days.

Ok, perhaps I should add some autoreplace code for shine -> rise