Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #31
dar72
dar72 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I've got this problem as well

Anyone got a link for downloading the previous version? Can't be bothered messing around with it so might as well use the old version.

Can Calibre view notes created on the Sony Reader? The only thing I use the official software for is transfering the books and for viewing notes created on it since this is how I correct any errors on my scans, just highlight them while reading the book. If Calibre can do that I'll just use it instead, I hate all this bloatware that manufacturers provide with devices.
dar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #32
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
I just upgraded to Windows 7 and I started having this same problem. The Reader Library starts and appears in the Process list, but never on screen. I contacted Sony Support by email and here is their reply -
(BTW this did NOT work for me - I'll be calling them later today)

Fails to Launch process Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1. Go to your desktop and do a right click on the taskbar ( at the bottom ) and select Task Manager
- In the task manager window select the Processes tab
- End the process for each Reader Library listed that you see Close the task manager

2. Go to My Computer
- Open the local disk C:
- At the upper left corner click where it says Organize
- Select Folder and Search options
- In the window that pop up select the View tab
- Make sure that the option Hidden files and folders is enable
- Select apply and then ok

3. Go back to the local disc C:
- Open the folder that says Program Data
- Delete the Folder that says Kinoma

4. Go back to the local disk C:
- Open the Users folder
- Locate your user folder and open it
- Open the AppData folder
- Open the Local Folder
- Delete Kinoma and Sony Corporation folders

5. Try to open the Reader Library again.

6. When the Reader Library finally open click on Library at the left hand side, if you don't see your books please click on this link and follow the steps to redownload your books:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1001259

If this information does not resolve your issue, please contact us at (866) 962-7669.

I hope this helps someone else. I'll document any further steps they give me as I troubleshoot further.

PCH

Last edited by PHugger; 07-16-2010 at 08:04 AM.
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Good News - it's working!

I tried to run the Reader Library software under Safe Mode and this worked.
Hmmm - something must be running on the normal system that is preventing it from running. It ends up it was Jungle Disk. As soon as I disconnected the drive, the Reader Library software ran normally. Jungle Disk is a GUI front end for Amazon's S3 service. I use it as an off-site backup for my photographs. Sony gets very low marks for not playing nicely with Jungle Disk. There are many other applications that use S3 for storage like Carbonite, JetS3t, and S3Fox Organizer. I'm betting that any of these might have the same effect.

Here is how to debug your system and search for similar issues -

Start Menu -> MSCONFIG

Click on the Startup Tab

Disable Everything that's not essential
(don't worry, it's easy to turn them all back on again)

Unfortunately a reboot is required for each change.

Keep disabling (and rebooting) until you get the Reader Library to work.

You might be surprised at the amount of unnecessary junk that is running.

Re-enable everything except what you think is causing the problem and then figure out how to deal with it. In my case I simply need to disconnect my S3 drive each time I need to use the library. I do that from the Jungle Disk control program.

Hope this helps,
PCH
Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #34
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
I had the same issue. I did a live chat with a Sony support person and they got it working. They did remote access to my laptop, uninstalled, turned off my antirvirus, downloaded and ran a special file that cleanly deletes all traces of prior installations. Took about 20 minutes as it had to reboot the system.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #35
PHugger
Connoisseur

This -

ftp://download.sony.com/US/reader/re...library_32.exe

Is probably what you are talking about. I believe it does a full uninstall and cleanup. Then it does a reinstall.

PCH

Last edited by PHugger; 07-16-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #36
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless
purple_kathryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHugger View Post
This -

ftp://download.sony.com/US/reader/re...library_32.exe

Is probably what you are talking about. I believe it does a full uninstall and cleanup. Then it does a reinstall.

PCH
OMG it worked!

Thank you so much!!! this is the first time in a couple of months I've been able to get the reader library to open!!

purple_kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Hmmm - something must be running on the normal system that is preventing it from running. It ends up it was Jungle Disk. As soon as I disconnected the drive, the Reader Library software ran normally. Jungle Disk is a GUI front end for Amazon's S3 service. I use it as an off-site backup for my photographs. Sony gets very low marks for not playing nicely with Jungle Disk. There are many other applications that use S3 for storage like Carbonite, JetS3t, and S3Fox Organizer. I'm betting that any of these might have the same effect.
But maybe it's not Sony that's at fault, bu Jungle Disk that's the problem. Just because other software seems to work with JD, doesn't mean it's not the fault of JD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #38
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:

Hmmm - something must be running on the normal system that is preventing it from running. It ends up it was Jungle Disk. As soon as I disconnected the drive, the Reader Library software ran normally. Jungle Disk is a GUI front end for Amazon's S3 service. I use it as an off-site backup for my photographs. Sony gets very low marks for not playing nicely with Jungle Disk.

Re-enable everything except what you think is causing the problem and then figure out how to deal with it. In my case I simply need to disconnect my S3 drive each time I need to use the library. I do that from the Jungle Disk control program.

Hope this helps,
PCH
Wow JungleDisk was my problem as well. Thanks a lot. As soon as I disable the drive mapping, reader library works again. I had resigned myself into using only the kindle store but can now comparison shop again. And I think Id rather have an epub in a lot of cases over a mobi format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But maybe it's not Sony that's at fault, bu Jungle Disk that's the problem. Just because other software seems to work with JD, doesn't mean it's not the fault of JD.
Dont know why you are defending Sony here. It is their software that wont load when JD is running. A large percentage of users have had issues with their reader library software not loading. I had this issue under win7 and vista. I don't think all these people are running jd either. Having said that, now that I know what it is, it is a simple fix.

Last edited by volwrath; 07-18-2010 at 10:29 AM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #39
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless

I didn't have jungle disc so I have no idea what the problem was on my PC (with windows xp)
Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #40
annetwilkes
annetwilkes began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
I found some instructions that had to do with stopping some background programs then re-installing....did not help. Has anybody figured out what to do yet?
annetwilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #41
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetwilkes View Post
I found some instructions that had to do with stopping some background programs then re-installing....did not help. Has anybody figured out what to do yet?
Try the link that PHugger posted a couple of posts up. It uninstalls & reinstalls the library

Worked for me!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #42
cosgood
cosgood began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
I do not run Jungle Disk and I was having the same problem. I downloaded the repair program from the link that PHugger provided and the problem was fixed. Sony blew it with this update. But I understand that it is not the first time that they have done that.

Thanks to PHugger for providing the link!
cosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #43
PHugger
Connoisseur

I did some further experimenting with Jungle Disk.
When you create the volume you can choose what sort of disk type you want -
Removable (they say this is the most compatible)
Network
Webdav (alternate driver)

When configured as a Removable drive the Reader Library software won't start.

When Configured as a Network Drive it does work. JD often mislabels the network volume as "Disconnected...", but it still works just fine.

Best regards,
PCH
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #44
PHugger
Connoisseur

Quote:
After a complete rebuild and reinstall of my entire system with the latest versions of everything (including the Reader Library, Jungle Disk, Win7 and all other apps), the Reader Library software is the Only thing that has problems running with Jungle Disk. Sony's solution of "Don't run Jungle Disk" is not a good option IMHO. Jungle Disk may have changed some things in the latest update, but I'd be willing to bet it's Sony doing something stupid like scanning all available drives for media or something to do with DRM. Do I need to remind you that it was Sony who gave us the Root Kit?

PCH

Last edited by PHugger; 07-20-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Dont know why you are defending Sony here. It is their software that wont load when JD is running. A large percentage of users have had issues with their reader library software not loading. I had this issue under win7 and vista. I don't think all these people are running jd either. Having said that, now that I know what it is, it is a simple fix.
I've installed Reader Library on oh... Vista Home Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate (twice), XP Professional (twice), XP Home (twice), and all the upgrades that go along with it. So that's 7 times installing Reader Library + all the upgrades without a glitch. I'd say that's why.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote