Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #31
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I have watched one of the GitS movies in Japanese with sub-titles.

I had a problem telling the male and female voices apart. I think it might be due to unfamiliarity of the voice patterns.

I grew up near Spanish speakers. I took Spanish in high school. I took some Italian at university, major change meant I left there. So I only got part of a semester.

Which brings me to this thought. I have noticed that non-romance languages are difficult for me. I have tried another non-romance language, same difficulties. And I do want to learn.

I don't know, but it could be, my brain doesn't handle seeing non-romance language words, syllabry, etc. and connecting them with the sounds.

I did talk to someone at work who spent his childhood living in Hong Kong and he told me that Japanese, unlike Spanish, uses both hemisphers of the brain. He felt that was my problem.

No idea myself.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #32
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Good point about non-romance languages. However, you should just look at the extra work involved as part of the fun.

That said, I am really enjoying studying French again, for the first time in two decades - the fact that around 60% of English words came from French really speeds things up vocabulary-memorization-wise. Conjugation and gender are another story though.

One more thing: do not shy away from Kanji, it is not as daunting as it looks. At the very least learn to read Hiragana & Katakana (tip: learn them simultaneously) as ro-maji is useless.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
language learning, learn japanese language