Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Wags
Vaguely Experienced
Wags began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers
Making a PRS 300 cover

Has anyone tried making a cover for the PRS 300? Specifically, I'm trying to make a cover that will attach at the spine, but most everything I've seen details covers that are made using elastic straps at the corners.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
What a cool idea. I have the Sony cover, and it functions great..... but I would really enjoy a hand tooled leather (weathered look) cover. Prefer even soft leather...... anyway....

The Sony ones attach via the tab holes provided on the spine. Find a way to do that, and then its just a matter of material. Wish I had skill to do this kind of thing....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
There are lots of posts here on mobileread which involve sticking the base of your reader inside a case using sticky velcro - may be a little crude but it's easy to do and it works!

As for the case itself, you just need to find an appropriately sized photo album or hardback book cover. Or if you like being crafty, you can cover thick cardboard with material.

Good luck and please post photos if you make one
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I have some Moleskine covers by these guys. http://www.renaissance-art.com/

I'm going to see what they can do for the 300. They are super good to work with and VERY cost effective. HTH
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
THIS IS A GREAT SITE, THANKS.
http://www.renaissance-art.com/
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
I have some Moleskine covers by these guys. http://www.renaissance-art.com/

I'm going to see what they can do for the 300. They are super good to work with and VERY cost effective. HTH
Very nice! I'm going to subscribe to this thread. Please post back here if they come up with anything. Thanks!
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
tnronin
Zealot

I have consulted with them previously for some Moleskine ideas. Here is the deal, if you come up with a cool design they give you the cover you designed. Then they institute the design for sale. I have 3 covers from them. If you give them a call and speak to Andrew IIRC, (I can't remember his name), he is a nice guy and will talk your ear off. I would like to figure a way to implement the Sony attachment method on the spine. Though the corner method has some merit. Also a complete sleeve with a window MIGHT work if the leather were thin enough. I think the issue is the overall thickness of the book closed. Here is one I'm going to consult with them about. Quarter bound

HTH
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
SkDmRkLcY
SkDmRkLcY began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I wonder if you could order one of their custom book covers and just use one of the sony covers as the book. Seems like it would work well enough. Not as good as one custom made for it, but could get the job done.
SkDmRkLcY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
tnronin
Zealot

I had considered that. The overall thickness is my concern. I think you would add about 3/8th of an inch to the overall thickness. I have ordered a bible cover for my pastor. You just send them the measurement of all three sides. I went a touch short because I knew the leather would stretch. I had a saddle leather cover given to me for a suggestion. I prefer the saddle leather model to the oil leather personally. They are both cool as hell.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
SkDmRkLcY
SkDmRkLcY began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I may try it for the price, I am not too worried about thickness really.
SkDmRkLcY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
tnronin
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkDmRkLcY View Post
I may try it for the price, I am not too worried about thickness really.
Sounds like a plan. Let us know. If you give them a call they will be happy to talk. Or even an email. There may be thinner leather in their inventory they could use. I may just pull the trigger myself. I have to wait though, I bought my reader w/o the bosses blessing.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
check this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70516
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Wags
Vaguely Experienced
Wags began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers
Definitely looks interesting. I'm still working on coming up with a good "Sony Spine." I think I may hit up the used bookstores and library sales near me in the next few weeks to canabalize a cover and go from there.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote