Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
phazlehurst
phazlehurst is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS900, and PRS700 and PRS505
Unhappy High Bevel on Frame stinks

Hi...

Just a minor warning, but the 4 or 5 millimeter inset screen on the PRS900 kind of stinks because the first line of text on a page is always in shadow unless the light is absolutely perfect.

I always have to wiggle the reader at the top of a page just so I can read the text since I like an angle to read, which works fine for most of the page...

EDIT: Just to add, I only am downloading books from Sony's service, so can't comment on other books. Ironically, I'd expect the Sony Reader books to be *better* since I pay for them.

P

Last edited by phazlehurst; 01-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.
phazlehurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Do you have ebooks which are formatted without a top margin? Or is the shadow really that big?
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Do you have ebooks which are formatted without a top margin? Or is the shadow really that big?
A lot of the ePub I downloaded from MR was without a top margin when displayed in my Gen3. Good that it is also a problem for PRS-900. Maybe that will get people to care about top margin.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
phazlehurst

Quote:
Seems like most of them are coming through with no top margin. Certainly my older books that were probably converted a long time ago.

Also, find it annoying that the "margin mode" doesn't do anything for these books. They looked fine on my 700... but that could have been pre-ePub format I guess.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
A lot of the ePub I downloaded from MR was without a top margin when displayed in my Gen3. Good that it is also a problem for PRS-900. Maybe that will get people to care about top margin.
I use at least a little top margin in all my ebook uploads because i don't like it when the first line starts to closely spaced to the top of the screen. Btw. did you inform the uploaders of those ebooks about that? I'm sure most of them would consider adding a top margin...
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazlehurst View Post
Seems like most of them are coming through with no top margin. Certainly my older books that were probably converted a long time ago.

Also, find it annoying that the "margin mode" doesn't do anything for these books. They looked fine on my 700... but that could have been pre-ePub format I guess.
Could you try some other ePubs please? I would like to eliminate all doubt that it's a general problem with the PRS-900.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use at least a little top margin in all my ebook uploads because i don't like it when the first line starts to closely spaced to the top of the screen. Btw. did you inform the uploaders of those ebooks about that? I'm sure most of them would consider adding a top margin...
I am trying to figure out what causes the problem since there are some book without a @page specification that works OK and some do not.
All the HarryT's Dickens book I tested worked OK for example.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
phazlehurst

Quote:
Could you try some other ePubs please? I would like to eliminate all doubt that it's a general problem with the PRS-900.
Will do... if someone can give me a link or a "good" book that I can download, i'll try it right now.

tx

P
Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
phazlehurst, please let Sony knows there's a problem. They can't fix it if none is reporting it. I plan to order a PRS-900 tomorrow.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazlehurst View Post
Will do... if someone can give me a link or a "good" book that I can download, i'll try it right now.

tx

P
You can try it with one of HarryT's ePub, eg. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54477. It uses a top margin with a height of 5pt, hence the PRS-900 should at least display a little top margin.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
phazlehurst

Quote:
I am trying to figure out what causes the problem since there are some book without a @page specification that works OK and some do not.
All the HarryT's Dickens book I tested worked OK for example.
Ok, so I just downloaded and installed "Tale of two cities" by HarryT and in normal mode there's a margin at the top of about ".75" of a line of text... So in my average room with light above me, and book at about 20 degrees, the shadow crops the tops of t's and l's... but "vowels" and so on look fine. I.e., "vowel" is fine except for the top of the l.

In "no margin" mode, the first whole line is in shadow... so it's much better.

By way of comparison... The Black Ice an old book by Michael Connelly from Sony has no top margin and so is in shadow the whole... I checked his new book "Nine Dragons" same problem.

I checked a different author from Sony... Inside Steve's Brain (about Steve Jobs) and it has the same problem.

Clearly the issue is that the epubs from Sony aren't inclusive of a margin...

Sigh. I'll yell at them right now.

P
Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I saw the 900 recently and did not find no top margin to be an issue at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I agree with Wolf, I have had my 900 now and have read about 3 books thus far. So far the bevel has not been an issue
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
netseeker
sleepless reader

Please open a software which is capable of displaying text in any sort. Take a look how characters are displayed near the edges by default. Any software, printed material and any visual styleguide i know follows this basic rule: Use at least a little margins because otherwise characters near display edges and other kind of lines will be harder to read for a lot of people.

Bottom margins should be larger than top margins and outer margins should be larger than inner margins and larger as the used line spacing as well. These are well known facts in book typography.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Please open a software which is capable of displaying text in any sort. Take a look how characters are displayed near the edges by default. Any software, printed material and any visual styleguide i know follows this basic rule: Use at least a little margins because otherwise characters near display edges and other kind of lines will be harder to read for a lot of people.

Bottom margins should be larger than top margins and outer margins should be larger than inner margins and larger as the used line spacing as well. These are well known facts in book typography.
Exactly.

But the reason that the inner margin is smaller is that the two inner margins on opposite sides adds together and the white space in the middle should not be greater than the outer margin. That is not an issue for an ebook reader but I assume the page number in the margin is a good reason to have larger outer margin.