Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
bookgobrrr
bookgobrrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Surface Duo
Post How do I change the text color to accomodate dark mode?

Hi all,

Most of my devices are configured with dark mode and all of the books I have (mostly in .EPUB format) adjust properly with blue links (for table of contents) and white text (on black background). However, one book I have has an illegible dark gray text color when viewing in dark mode.

How can I edit this book so that it adjusts properly to either white text in dark mode and black text in light mode?

Many thanks!
bookgobrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgobrrr View Post
Hi all,

Most of my devices are configured with dark mode and all of the books I have (mostly in .EPUB format) adjust properly with blue links (for table of contents) and white text (on black background). However, one book I have has an illegible dark gray text color when viewing in dark mode.

How can I edit this book so that it adjusts properly to either white text in dark mode and black text in light mode?

Many thanks!
Checkout for the 'Color' property on CSS rules. To get a flexible design, it's better not to define colors. Also, you can use 'Color: inherit'.

Last edited by thiago.eec; 09-25-2020 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Clarify
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Or use the option in the viewer preferences to always override book colors
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Checkout for the 'Color' property on CSS rules. To get a flexible design, it's better not to define colors, or use 'Color: inherit'.
That sounds like you're saying to not use inherit, but that's what the OP should fix in their CSS.

Code:
a.text-color {
    color: inherit;
}
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:25 AM   #5
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
That sounds like you're saying to not use inherit, but that's what the OP should fix in their CSS.

Code:
a.text-color {
}
You're right. It was poorly written. I meant to use 'inherit'.
Advert
Old 09-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
bookgobrrr

Thanks very much for the replies!

Where exactly would I make this change in the css .stylesheet?
Old 09-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
bookgobrrr

Ok so I changed *all* instances of where I saw "color: rgb(0,0,0);" to read color: inherit;

There were also other some rgb values.

This seemed to have done the trick! Thanks.

Now I just want to find out how to makes images responsive... Any tips on how to make .epub's as adaptable as possible?
Old 09-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Thanks very much for the replies!

Where exactly would I make this change in the css .stylesheet?
You must search you CSS stylesheet for 'color'. Then, for every instance of it, use the value 'inherit'.

Example:

If you find this rule:

Code:
p {
   color: #808080;
}
Change it to:

Code:
p {
}
Old 09-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Ok so I changed *all* instances of where I saw "color: rgb(0,0,0);" to read color: inherit;

There were also other some rgb values.

This seemed to have done the trick! Thanks.
You figured it out while I was typing.

Quote:
Now I just want to find out how to makes images responsive... Any tips on how to make .epub's as adaptable as possible?
One good way to have your images adapting to the screen size is to use a value in percentage, like this:

Code:
img.big {
   width: 100%;
   height: auto;
}
Code:
img.small {
   width: 30%;
   height: auto;
}
You define only the width and let it adjust automatically the height, to avoid distortions.

Last edited by thiago.eec; 09-26-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Tags
color background, text